Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian Education vs British Education

Australian Education vs British Education

Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:45 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Education vs British Education

Originally Posted by plantpot
So Public ones push trades, Private ones push sports? WHo does academics?
well u need to be academic to go for the trades u dont need to be academic to run a ****in race
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by biggy
well u need to be academic to go for the trades u dont need to be academic to run a ****in race
I got it the wrong way round then?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:57 pm

I got it the wrong way round then?
yep u did for here in Oz... so perhaps its time for a re-think
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

yep u did for here in Oz... so perhaps its time for a re-think
Rethink on what?
I only asked a question?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:14 pm

Rethink on what?
I only asked a question?
if u want to put kids in private then its better they have a sporting aim...if u just want a straight forward good education with a job at the end go public..............EASY
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

if u want to put kids in private then its better they have a sporting aim...if u just want a straight forward good education with a job at the end go public..............EASY
BIGGY, I am not irked or p***ed off with your answer I just didn't know what you meant...I totally appreciate your replies as I have no idea at all about schools, AUS and what's what!!! So answers are REALLY helpful....

I don't know what I want tbh...sport (errr no ta so maybe the answer is there ), job yes....(for me kids)

PS Scotland....whereabouts then? Might have been there.....went to school there
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:32 pm

BIGGY, I am not irked or p***ed off with your answer I just didn't know what you meant...I totally appreciate your replies as I have no idea at all about schools, AUS and what's what!!! So answers are REALLY helpful....

I don't know what I want tbh...sport (errr no ta so maybe the answer is there ), job yes....(for me kids)

PS Scotland....whereabouts then? Might have been there.....went to school there
Coalburn....dunno if you would want to go to school there lol From the schools that I have experienced here....academically the State schools are fab. The private same sex schools seem to be more geared towards people who like sport and are likely to get scholorships and they have lower results than the states. May not be Oz wide but it is here. I love the fact that my kids have been allowed to become individuals before what they acheive on a report card....in the UK the results seem to be the B all and end all, and put ridiculous stress on out kids to acheive...life is short go for it and have fun
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:48 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

It varies so much state to state school to school its really hard to generalise.

My experiences so far...

Primary -state-loads of fun, really really geared them up to be well rounded induviduals and ready for the challenges (socially) of entering secondary.

Secondary- state- very large curriculum, much larger that the other local privates. Class sizes the same as private, school size overall much bigger than private. Year 8 has already done algebra, has represented school, zone and district for sport and is in no way working up to her ability, shes having to much fun But at nearly 14 she is actually realising that she needs to pull her finger out so that she won't "be a looser".

They push trade (this is the same, if not more, in a private school because of keeping enter scores "up" on paper for perspective parents) if your child isn't a great student (I don't necesarily mean achedemically, just isn't a good student) As the do VCAL which is a mix of school tafe and work experience. In Vic they need to have a good "enter score" to get into uni. This enter score is marked over their WHOLE subjects not say a "A" for english a "B" for maths etc. The top unies for top courses will want say 98% enter scores and for lesser subjects the enter score drops.

We live in S/E Melbourne so am speaking for my area only...
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Thanks for all your advice everyone.

If we stay here its made my mind up that its private all the way!

When we got here, our relocation advisor told us that only 35% of Aussies get a degree. I have also noticed a staggering amount of trades people here as well. Given what you have all said it kind of makes sense. I was shocked to say the least.

Its not that I am big into degrees or anything, indeed I think many UK degrees aren't worth the paper they are written on and have become somewhat devalued, however, I would like my kids to have the choice and if they are never pushed, they will never get that choice. It's great being a trades person if that's what you want to do but what if you could have achieved more and were never given the option or aspiration. Now that's worying, such low expectations.

If i'm a snob I'm sorry but kids need a good education to set them up in life. Its bl**dy hard doing it when you have left full time education. (I should know that's what I did)

I think someone mentioned that kids are kids for longer over here, and I agree they don't seem to expect much of them. I was shocked to hear a woman extoll the virtues of her three year old just because he knew all his colours and farm animals. Whoopy Doo! That's what started alarm bells ringing big time.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Coalburn....dunno if you would want to go to school there lol From the schools that I have experienced here....academically the State schools are fab. The private same sex schools seem to be more geared towards people who like sport and are likely to get scholorships and they have lower results than the states. May not be Oz wide but it is here. I love the fact that my kids have been allowed to become individuals before what they acheive on a report card....in the UK the results seem to be the B all and end all, and put ridiculous stress on out kids to acheive...life is short go for it and have fun

Not entirely true there Biggy! There are about five good state highs in Brisbane that are about on par with the top private schools.

Have a look at this, it's the nearest thing to a league table that they have in Qld:
http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/downloads/...utcomes_07.pdf

The column to watch is col. 14 which denotes the % of students who leave high school with an OP between 1-15 (basically I don't think you can get into uni without a minimum 15). Of the schools on this list, anything with Grammar or College in the title is likely to be a fee paying school.

Having said that, I very lucky to have a good state school nearby, but have been considering Brisbane Girls Grammar (my eldest goes to high school next year).

I have somewhat mixed emotions about which school to send her to - state or private - and have been tied up in knots about it for some time but we have finally decided on state. Luckily we have the choice, I have friends whose local state school is woeful and they have felt they had no choice but to send their kids private.

Another thing it might be worth mentioning, I am currently at Qld's most academic uni ("sandstone" and all that) and the majority of students here (in the courses I have been taking anyway) are from private schools.

Last edited by rabsody; Jun 28th 2008 at 12:16 am.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:15 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Karen, I take it you haven't been here long?

I have friends (Aussies) that are a plumber and an Electrician. They both live on acerage in huge houses and want for nothing. I know where 3 of my kids teachers live (with their degrees!) and they are struggling
The tradies are the rich people here in Aus......And theres certainly no staus with degrees etc like in the UK
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:17 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs
Karen, I take it you haven't been here long?

I have friends (Aussies) that are a plumber and an Electrician. They both live on acerage in huge houses and want for nothing. I know where 3 of my kids teachers live (with their degrees!) and they are struggling
The tradies are the rich people here in Aus......And theres certainly no staus with degrees etc like in the UK
And I think I'm right in saying they're the highest paying of them all!
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
I think someone mentioned that kids are kids for longer over here, and I agree they don't seem to expect much of them. I was shocked to hear a woman extoll the virtues of her three year old just because he knew all his colours and farm animals. Whoopy Doo! That's what started alarm bells ringing big time.
I can so relate to this, my eldest was 4 when we got here and I was shocked how far behind they were. No compulsory form of education until 6. Until then, it was focus on play at kindergarten. However, I understand (and could be wrong) that despite this, it all evens out in the end in that Aus and UK are about the same in terms of scholastic standards when they leave school.

I used to think the UK system was much better as there seems a greater focus academically. But I tried to rethink things and view from a different perspective. The teens I see here actually seem to "enjoy" school (I use the term loosely!), most participate in after school activities such as sport and music, engage well with all age groups (even boring ones parents' friends!). It doesn't seem to be as uncool to do well like it does in the UK. As I say, this is all perception as my kids aren't at that age yet, but it's what I have noticed.

My kids (11 and 9) both really seem to enjoy school but we do push them a bit to make sure they don't slack off. We've had some fairly average teachers to be honest, but some great ones too. I can imagine that's the same anywhere in the world really.

Last edited by rabsody; Jun 28th 2008 at 12:32 am.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:30 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rabsody
We've had some fairly average teachers to be honest, but some great ones too.
We had a sports teacher teaching some kind of science and knew sweet FA about it!

NOT just for the day either! ...
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

You are right, I haven't been here long and maybe won't be here much longer given what I am reading !!!

OK you are going to tell me to bog off and I am a really sound person- honestly but I had kind of got the feeling the people who do well here are not well edcucated. There you go I've said it!!! Shoot Me!!

For a developed nation, I find it so bizarre, that there is such an emphasis on trade. What happened to using your grey matter? Hence the need for mass immigration and skilled professionals from overseas!!!

It kind of explains so much and I am so glad you all kindly replied to my first post.

Karen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.