Reload this Page >

Australian Education vs British Education

Australian Education vs British Education

Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Education vs British Education

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Another thing I noticed in the difference is that in Ireland when you go to School you are told you can become anything, aim or anything and they will help you get it. In Australia they seem to only want to set you up for a trade. (no offence to anyone in a trade), it’s great if that’s what you want, but if you want something more out of life then it will be very boring. Australians don't seem to want to aim high or explore the world?

They way I also look at it is by looking at the people I went to school with, all the friends I went to school with in Australia are still living in Perth working in a call centre or supermarket, everyone of them and all still in Perth.

The friends I went to school with in Ireland all have their masters, high paying jobs and working around the world.

Mikey
Or working in Coles for peanuts! ...
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:57 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Ok, I AM talking about 'state' schooling here. If we could've afforded it they'd of gone to private without a doubt, but with one school quoting $14k a year cos we wasn't a PR here, we couldn't afford it. Our goal (for all of us) was to gain PR, and that's where our money went.

My daughter dropped out half way through grade 11, half of her class did and either got a job or went to TAFE and did some kind of course. My son has recently left and was in grade 10 going nowhere.

As I say, this is JUST my experience here, but no 'poor excuse' ... proof IS in the pudding!
Apologies, my comment was a bit of a wind-up and I shouldn't have said it.

Your son must have been quite bright to make grammar school. I realise a complete change in lifestyle could have a detrimental effect on young lives and their education moving them out of their comfort zone so to speak.

I would however say that I believe a child's ability to suceed depends more on their home background and ability level rather than the school they attend. My kids went to the local bog std comp and I honestly believe they wouldn't have attained better results if they'd gone private. These schools in the UK seem so overpriced.

My sister-in-law (widow and came into a lot of money) must be the biggest snob out. She lives in Bucks where they have 11+ but didn't even put her son in for the exam, it had to be private as a matter of dogma from day one. Instead she sends him to a boarding school in Surrey at a cost of £25,000 per year (more than her take home salary) when she's got a rolls royce education on her doorstep which wouldn't cost her a bean. Mad eh? In fact research has shown that grammars have a better academic record than public schools.

I have to say though that if Oz is behind the UK academically something is wrong. GCSEs and A'levels are so dumbed-down compared to the old O and A'levels I thought anyone with a modicum of intelligence could pass them with flying colours.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Assegai
Apologies, my comment was a bit of a wind-up and I shouldn't have said it.

Your son must have been quite bright to make grammar school. I realise a complete change in lifestyle could have a detrimental effect on young lives and their education moving them out of their comfort zone so to speak.

I would however say that I believe a child's ability to suceed depends more on their home background and ability level rather than the school they attend. My kids went to the local bog std comp and I honestly believe they wouldn't have attained better results if they'd gone private. These schools in the UK seem so overpriced.

My sister-in-law (widow and came into a lot of money) must be the biggest snob out. She lives in Bucks where they have 11+ but didn't even put her son in for the exam, it had to be private as a matter of dogma from day one. Instead she sends him to a boarding school in Surrey at a cost of £25,000 per year (more than her take home salary) when she's got a rolls royce education on her doorstep which wouldn't cost her a bean. Mad eh? In fact research has shown that grammars have a better academic record than public schools.

I have to say though that if Oz is behind the UK academically something is wrong. GCSEs and A'levels are so dumbed-down compared to the old O and A'levels I thought anyone with a modicum of intelligence could pass them with flying colours.
No worries! ...

It was my daughter that got the place at the grammar school, the boy followed because of the 'sibling rule' ...

She is very bright tho, and in year 6 got a level 6 in her maths SATS. This was the first level 6 her school had ever got, and in her year 8 obtained a good 8 too! We was told this is equivalent to a GCSE B and this was 2 years before she did GCSE's. She was very good at maths and all the sciences which we was always told was an excellent combination, and would put her in a good position to go to uni and hopefully obtain a good degree.

I guess this is why I'm bitter with the Oz system, or possibly just the school they went to, as we was always told "oh she'll do VERY well" ... and unfortunately didn't! ...

Still, she DOES have goals, always did have, and knows what she wants and how to get it!

As I say, she'll be right! ...

Last edited by PaulandNic; Jun 27th 2008 at 7:37 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:13 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

No worries! ...

It was my daughter that got the place at the grammar school, the boy followed because of the 'sibling rule' ...

She is very bright tho, and at age 6 got a level 6 in her maths SATS. This was the first level 6 her school had ever got, and in her year 8 obtained a good 8 too! We was told this is equivalent to a GCSE B and this was 2 years before she did GCSE's. She was very good at maths and all the sciences which we was always told was an excellent combination, and would put her in a good position to go to uni and hopefully obtain a good degree.

I guess this is why I'm bitter with the Oz system, or possibly just the school they went to, as we was always told "oh she'll do VERY well" ... and unfortunately didn't! ...

Still, she DOES have goals, always did have, and knows what she wants and how to get it!

As I say, she'll be right! ...

Absolutely, Not that I like the Apprentice (shown on UK tv) or Alan Sugar, but at least he has the good sense to choose people on merit and not based on their exam certificates. Richard Branson was another dullard at school who hasn't done too badly in business.

Must be disappointing to see your daughter fall down academically after showing so much promise, but sometimes kids develop quickly at first and then slow up, a bit like my eldest dtr.

What's this sibling rule? I thought all kids had to pass the entrance exam to get into grammar school and get their on merit, didn't know siblings came into the equation.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Assegai
Must be disappointing to see your daughter fall down academically after showing so much promise, but sometimes kids develop quickly at first and then slow up, a bit like my eldest dtr.

What's this sibling rule? I thought all kids had to pass the entrance exam to get into grammar school and get their on merit, didn't know siblings came into the equation.
Yeah I was gutted when I heard she wanted to leave, but at the end of the day it was her choice. We NEVER pushed her at school, she did well because SHE wanted to! I think because her UK school was full of boffins, she was challenged as well. Her 2 best friends parents were doctors and believe it or not a rocket scientist ... ... and they DID push their kids and had them up all night revising etc, but as I say mine just did it all on her own doing.

I guess she has mixed with a totally different type of child here, and as I said most of her friends dropped out last year too. They're happy to go work in a dead end job as it pays them money to buy booze for the weekend!

That's another story tho!

I don't know if it's the same for all grammar schools, but the one my kids went to, if you had an elder brother or sister who was there, you got a place! Just as well as altho my son isn't stupid, he probably would've failed the exam to get in at the time.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justsarah
My son got silver in the maths challenge too and started an excellence programme at uni when he was 12. He is now 2nd or 3rd in his classes at the Queensand Academy for Health Sciences in Southport. There is also an Academy for Arts in Brizzie and one for Science,Maths & Technology. They all study the IB course and begin at year 10. I have nothing but praise for them!! My eldest left his UK school 4 months before sitting all his GCSEs where he was expected to get straight As... He now is far more challenged and has had to really work for his grades this semester. Harder than at home he admits!!! I am more than impressed by this standard of education but this is a new school and not quite the same as the normal state schools I admit. It is a state school though...
hi JustSarah

This gives me hope after some messages that were really worrying me. We'll be in Sydney from end of August and are being very picky about schools to ensure that the school pushes our daughter and (I think) has the Uni accelerated program. Can you give some more details on this so that we know what to ask the school when we do our visit on arrival?

Thanks
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure you'll get loads of opinions on this one, but this is JUST my pennies worth.

2 teenage kids doing VERY well in the UK. My daughter was doing 13 GCSE's and expected mostly grade A's. Son not so bright academically, but WAS scheduled to do very well too. They went to a top Hertfordshire grammar school.

Just over 2 years in Oz and they've BOTH left school now without a qualification to their name ...

As I say it's just MY opinion, but 1) I think they was both let down by the system here, and 2) thank god they did most of their schooling in the UK! ...
Was that the State (Public schooling) in Oz or the Private system?
How much difference is there between Public and Private schools in Oz?

Any teachers out there?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

It really does depend on the school. I started algebra in year 7 (1st year of high school) aged 11, in a Vic state school.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by plantpot
Was that the State (Public schooling) in Oz or the Private system?
How much difference is there between Public and Private schools in Oz?

Any teachers out there?
State, and I reckon there's bundles of difference between state and private.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

State, and I reckon there's bundles of difference between state and private.
Such as?

PP xx
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by plantpot
Such as?

PP xx
I have no experience with the private system, but did view a few schools here, and have a couple of decent ones within 5 mins of me.

I think parents who care for their kids education here will put them into private. The ones who don't (or can't afford to) will settle for state. We went to a couple of parents evenings at our kids school and the turnout was pathetic!

We'd of loved to put our kids into private school, but we just couldn't afford the $28k per year ...
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:09 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

100% agree here as the Oz system DOES get the kids up and doing things, but my 2 were never shy so not really a prob.

I'm only talking about 'academically' and I remember being here a month and my son was shocked he'd just started doing algebra at school, yet he started that over 2 year ago in the UK!
I also think that we have to take into account the time it takes for the kids to adapt to a new country...its huge for them and takes a while for them to settle, so prehaps it is understandable for kids to have a slip in geades for the first few years they are here. Personnally I think that here in Oz they let kids be kids for that little bit longer, the pressure isnt the same in schools, they learn to develop who they are before they are bombarded with you will be this you will do this bollox like in the UK. My kids have done way better here....they may get a C in maths but they get an A for effort...that is good enough for me
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have no experience with the private system, but did view a few schools here, and have a couple of decent ones within 5 mins of me.

I think parents who care for their kids education here will put them into private. The ones who don't (or can't afford to) will settle for state. We went to a couple of parents evenings at our kids school and the turnout was pathetic!

We'd of loved to put our kids into private school, but we just couldn't afford the $28k per year ...
28K a year???? WOwwwwwweeeee.....is that from aged 5?

Shame about the parents evenings...I am a teacher and would love nothing more than to teach somewhere where the parents COME into the school ... wonder if I should look at teaching at Private Schools in Sydney as I have always worked in laces where academics were very important...(as well as a well rounded child of course)....

Hmmmmm...
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by biggy
I also think that we have to take into account the time it takes for the kids to adapt to a new country...its huge for them and takes a while for them to settle, so prehaps it is understandable for kids to have a slip in geades for the first few years they are here. Personnally I think that here in Oz they let kids be kids for that little bit longer, the pressure isnt the same in schools, they learn to develop who they are before they are bombarded with you will be this you will do this bollox like in the UK. My kids have done way better here....they may get a C in maths but they get an A for effort...that is good enough for me
Oh I agree, but maybe my 2 were set in their ways and the change with the schooling wasn't the best thing for them.

Maybe we should've stayed in the UK ...
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by biggy
I like the idea of Kids being kids for longer, emotionally THAT is waaay more important, there is plenty of time for academics...BTW i refer to academics as a secondary teacher....not as a primary teacher....

PP x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.