Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

this australia thing

this australia thing

Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:05 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: this australia thing

Originally Posted by esperanza
Ast have you genuinely thought about how life might be hard for your wife at the moment?
It sounds like you're pi$$ed off about how she doesn't understand how hard things are for you - she may be feeling the exact same way. Lots of women are very social beings, and being totally isolated all day is extremely stressful. At least when you are working you are building up new contacts very quickly, you are doing something productive, you are getting paid, you have the status that comes with being a 'useful' member of society.
(And no I definitely do not think that being a mum is useless, very far from it, but I'm talking about social perceptions & status)
When she yells at you for being tired in the evening, what she is really saying may be 'I need you to help me, this is really really hard, I need you'.

You have to talk to her! But be prepared to listen as well. Two sides to every story.
hear hear

Ast not stickin up for Trish (but i know you were listening to me, going on about how hard it is to keep everything going)

I too didn't appreciate how hard Al found it, going out to work, the pressure to provide enough money, Being knackered when he comes home from work after doing 6.30am to 6.30pm every day!

Thats when we came to the aggreement of, nothing gets done during the week, (he dont moan about house work, i dont moan about jobs)
We and i do mean WE both spend 1 day doing bits around the house i.e DIY, Garden etc and we spend 1 day as a family (well we're supposed to although that went out of the window for the last cpuple of weekends, but that was another thread ) WE're off out this Sunday doing off roading as you know, Sat will be spent around the house/garden.

You both need to sit back and realise that you both have it hard, its not easy trying to set up home for the family, being social-less, trying to do the right thing all the time, working longer/harder than before.

It takes time mate, dont listen to me when i'm there waffling on about my life, i've been having a very bad bad week,

Your welcome to pop round on Sat, Any excuse for us to stop!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:48 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Ast...first of all - sorry but you do make me laugh

On a serious note, think you ought to talk to your dearly beloved, just nicely, so that you can both try to understand - she is probably feeling out of sorts too, you've not been there long - hope things get easier for you hun.....

Keep that wicked sense of humour though!! Ems x
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:22 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you're feeling better today Ast.
Talk to Trish about how you feel, chances are she's feeling similar.
It's bloody hard at first, trying to adapt to all things new and you're both bound to be feeling stressful etc.
Make some plans to do something as a family over the weekend and forget about the house / work for the day. I know it's easier said than done (been there) but try and enjoy this lovely place you've come to.
Best of luck, keep your pecker up
Tracey
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:22 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Hope you're feeling better today Ast.
Talk to Trish about how you feel, chances are she's feeling similar.
It's bloody hard at first, trying to adapt to all things new and you're both bound to be feeling stressful etc.
Make some plans to do something as a family over the weekend and forget about the house / work for the day. I know it's easier said than done (been there) but try and enjoy this lovely place you've come to.
Best of luck, keep your pecker up
Tracey
failing all of that

book a ******* holiday somewhere, where you can totally relex

found that this was half our prob mate!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 10:11 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

hey chaps thanks for the advise,i just wanted a little moan and to be honest 99% of the time BE always cheers me up..i like talking to that aston bloke he always listens and has some good answers..

hey i would not swap where i am for the world ,its fantastic here.i have died and gone to heaven,i have to pinch myself when we are having walks round our land..please dont let me put anyone off aus when reading this,it is hard starting at the bottom,but everyday that goes by things get a little easier..

lifes great and yes i agree with you ladies,it cant be fun for my wife being stuck in this house all day...

im just off to give her a big smacker on the lips...

jeez shes a lucky lady...

but dont forget it works both ways,dont forget to give the old man a smacker and let him know how much he is appreciated...

peace man..

ast
Old Aug 1st 2007, 10:25 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you Ast, it is hard both ways, hard for the bloke out at work and for the woman staying at home. Mutual appreciation that's what's needed
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:02 pm
Sam
here and staying

don't forget to reinforce that cardboard!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aston man
well aston 52 reads and no one has jumped to the defence of your wife.perhaps you should wake her up and tell her what you think...

have you tried telling her how hard things are for you?
Interesting to see no one has jumped to the defence of Mrs Aston.
How is she feeling about being stuck,alone with small child in house all day.Has she had a chance to make some friends to go out with or does she spend all her time doing 3 meals a day,child care ,shopping,cleaning all the usaul stuff alone while working out Medicare,banks,schooling ,shops,garbage day etc all while trying to create a lovely home for you all in a new country?Does Mrs A spend a lot of time alone thinking of the friends and family and support network she misses? Bet she does.Mrs A,lots of us have been there and it does get better,but I can see that when OH gets home,he may well be only person you have spoken to all day so of course you whinge at him.Who else is there?

I spent some v. lonely early weeks while racing round trying to set up our lives and suddenly realised I had not had time to loiter in playground etc and try to make friends.I quickly remedied that and suddenly having people to chat to over coffe made me feel less isolated.
You too could loiter in playground and begin to build up an outside life and soon you won`t even notice if OH is there or not.Howeve ,do keep up the nagging as they love it really and it keeps them on their toes!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:19 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilgar
Interesting to see no one has jumped to the defence of Mrs Aston.
How is she feeling about being stuck,alone with small child in house all day.Has she had a chance to make some friends to go out with or does she spend all her time doing 3 meals a day,child care ,shopping,cleaning all the usaul stuff alone while working out Medicare,banks,schooling ,shops,garbage day etc all while trying to create a lovely home for you all in a new country?Does Mrs A spend a lot of time alone thinking of the friends and family and support network she misses? Bet she does.Mrs A,lots of us have been there and it does get better,but I can see that when OH gets home,he may well be only person you have spoken to all day so of course you whinge at him.Who else is there?

I spent some v. lonely early weeks while racing round trying to set up our lives and suddenly realised I had not had time to loiter in playground etc and try to make friends.I quickly remedied that and suddenly having people to chat to over coffe made me feel less isolated.
You too could loiter in playground and begin to build up an outside life and soon you won`t even notice if OH is there or not.Howeve ,do keep up the nagging as they love it really and it keeps them on their toes!

I believe some have indeed jumped to Mrs Aston's defence and I also believe that although there is seriousness in Ast's post there is also much tongue in cheek too
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:35 am
Sam
here and staying

i agree clippies

i think he's feeling a bit under looked and hummm left out isnt the right word...............not considered would may be cover it

i remember my OH, saying the same things, you know, worrying about providing enough money for the home etc, actually he still does on occasions
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:39 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

oh good a moaning thread about spouses

well ast , we arrived in aus, and two weeks later i was working my ass off full-time, ok thats what we agreed and hubby would take three months off and get the girls settled as it was easier for me to get a job, well three months have came and went, he made no effort to look around for work or update his c.v, i went bloody berserk last week, and he is 'kinda' looking around now.

Would you like to leave your wife and marry me and we could both work part-time,
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:41 am
By the sea

sparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of light

who is jeremy fart face?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:43 am
Sam
here and staying

Originally Posted by Margaret3
oh good a moaning thread about spouses

well ast , we arrived in aus, and two weeks later i was working my ass off full-time, ok thats what we agreed and hubby would take three months off and get the girls settled as it was easier for me to get a job, well three months have came and went, he made no effort to look around for work or update his c.v, i went bloody berserk last week, and he is 'kinda' looking around now.

Would you like to leave your wife and marry me and we could both work part-time,
sod Aston man

I'll marry you Marg
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:47 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sam
sod Aston man

I'll marry you Marg
accepted,

I know it wont be the firs BE wedding, but it may be the firs dyke one
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:49 am
Sam
here and staying

so long as you dont want me to perform any sex acts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.