Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia - summed up

Australia - summed up

Old Jan 13th 2013, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia - summed up

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Far better than whats happening at a local Tescos

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eXizXFHoVDo
Looks like the frozen food section as well, I guess the smell must have influenced many decisions on whether to buy the beef or the chicken.

Still you can't beat Tesco's' for range, price and "quality"
Old Jan 13th 2013, 5:56 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino

Still you can't beat Tesco's' for range, price and "quality"
Generally true but we have found Sainsburys to be better on quality.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Generally true but we have found Sainsburys to be better on quality.
No shit ?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:06 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
Have you had any comments about you not having kids yet? My family are in the last desperate panic stricken comments about us not having kids.

My dad said 'But you could be pregnant, you never know' and comments like it and we have had comments like 'It would be a miracle baby if you were'
No it wouldnt, at 45 years old it would be a bloody disaster not to mention the drugs I take, more than likely it would be deformed as well.

We dont have a lot of money for 'toys' and stuff but the freedom we do have is priceless.
Sorry, I've only just seen this.

No we don't really get grief from our families. Mine just seem to accept it and I guess accept its just not our thing, plus they love our lifestyle so can see by we don't want to change it! My sister is 4 years younger than me (she's 30) and she wants to have kids so maybe that helps.

The husband's family have got 3 Grandkids from one of his sisters, and they're lovely but a real handful (she's a single parent) so I they seem to be okay with our decision too.

So for us it's so far so good! Which is handy because we've made our decision.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 7:07 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
No shit ?
Not that I have noticed.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FixedFlush
No substantiation.... OK

In my trade in Oz I open a bank account.... Only register a business name if I don't use my own name, register for GST, hang a shingle on the door and I'm on my way.

Though I have a qual, I don't need one to practice, nor any sort of license.
My industry is highly unregulated in both the UK and Australia - it is very globalised.

Originally Posted by chris955
I cant comment on Europe but after MANY years in Australia there is absolutely no doubt in my mind it is way more highly regulated than the UK. You need a license or permit for everything.
No you don't. I have lived here for the best part of 10 years and have never needed a single permit.

I consider 'taxing' my car and say a trailer (and a boat) to be par for the course...and with a car and boat comes responsibilities.

I can understand that in many areas Australia is overregulated compared to the UK, or is 'more regulated', but I consider them both to be countries whereby you can't just do what you like - and 'you don't need a permit for everything'.

Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

As for world countries...and problems with supply and logistics, I suggest people visit a 3rd world country. They might well find that Australia - even Qld is ahead in many ways.

The good thing about 3rd world countries - that you otherwise can source things and get things done quickly and cheaply - but it might not be top notch.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:11 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
My industry is highly unregulated in both the UK and Australia - it is very globalised.

No you don't. I have lived here for the best part of 10 years and have never needed a single permit.

I consider 'taxing' my car and say a trailer (and a boat) to be par for the course...and with a car and boat comes responsibilities.

I can understand that in many areas Australia is overregulated compared to the UK, or is 'more regulated', but I consider them both to be countries whereby you can't just do what you like - and 'you don't need a permit for everything'.

I think the one thing that sums up regulation in the Uk is television licences.

They STILL have vans sneaking around at night trying to catch people using a television without a licence. It must be the only country in the world that does it. you might NEVER watch BBC, in fact you might only ever watch DVDs (or blue rays these days) but turn that damn TV on and they will fine you for not paying to subsidise the BBC .

Can anyone tell me why it is still in place. Even in the so called third world they manage to fund a national TV service without it.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:17 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool

They STILL have vans sneaking around at night trying to catch people using a television without a licence. It must be the only country in the world that does it. you might NEVER watch BBC, in fact you might only ever watch DVDs (or blue rays these days) but turn that damn TV on and they will fine you for not paying to subsidise the BBC .

Can anyone tell me why it is still in place. Even in the so called third world they manage to fund a national TV service without it.

Having experienced TV here, I would be quite happy to pay a TV licence again if it meant a decent selection of quality, advert free programming

S
Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey it's all relative. Doing 'admin' is a job that is boring everywhere.
My wife can tell you that doing things elsewhere can be tedious. I don't find the UK or Australia particularly laboursome.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Make the BBC a commericial service and scrap this stupid tax. Plenty of commercial stations worldwide - C4, ITV, HBO. Discovery etc - make quality TV and are not propped up by the taxpayer.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Never confuse Queensland with Australia.

BB
Yeah always thought this myself, fell in love with the place and think of the rest of Australia as a foreign country really
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Queensland is beautiful one day and perfect the next.

You can almost get away with saying it.

Try visiting Shropshire and you might find it difficult to summon up the will to say anything remotely similar.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:32 am
Banned

Originally Posted by neil248

Try visiting Shropshire and you might find it difficult to summon up the will to say anything remotely similar.
Shropshire is a lovely county, most of it of course, as in Queensland there are parts I wouldnt go by choice. Having lived in Queensland for 12 years and experienced floods, droughts, fires etc the slogan shouldnt be taken too literally
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248

I far prefer Shropshire to most of Queensland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.