Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is Australia a Rip Off, could you find work??

Is Australia a Rip Off, could you find work??

Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:15 am
Just Joined

brisrob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Australia a Rip Off, could you find work??

Originally Posted by mosha
Wotchit! You dont want to upset Mosha, when Mosha gets mad he starts referring to himself in the third person!
Are you trying to take credit for my penetrating insult?

And who the f* cares ?

(TO ALL) I'll say it now and then I'll keep my peace: if you think that moving from UK to Oz is going to make your life more interesting, satisfying, meaningful, lifestylish (?) whatever, think twenty-four times again. Someone stated on this forum that (paraphrasing) the UK is not as bad a place as the UK thinks it is. So true, but here's a blast - there is no better country in the Western world to live in than the UK IMHO. I have travelled between the two countries many, many times, and the British self-hatred versus the Aussie self-love is finally approaching a balance. To be honest, and this is an opinion shared by many of my friends, if there is no compelling reason, you are INSANE to reject the UK for here.

I live in Brisbane, and what's worse, a suburb of Brisbane. I want to like it and the appallingly humid weather, but I can"t. There is not a civic structure (such as a library) within ten kilometres of my house - maybe some would like that - and in the ten (YES TEN) years I've lived here my attempts to enjoy the joint have only been deflated by the hickness, weather and pure banality. In a word or two: anyone who wants to live in it can have it - suckers!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:32 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Nothing against the good ol UK but your welcome to it.

I love it here in Melbourne. Australia has made my life more interesting, satisfying, meaningful, lifestylish .

And I wouldn;t swap it for a brand new unbroken wash line.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: Is Australia a Rip Off, could you find work??

Originally Posted by richyrocker
gud day three legs, how ya going ?
I migrated on a skilled visa as a FITTER, welder manufacturing technician. and finding it a tad difficult finding work in this field , theres plenty cleaning jobs , or backpackers stuff , ive met others who are proffesional solicitors/accountants etc that drive taxis ,due to the lack of work. I may have to go and work outside Vic in the mining industry , if only i can get a interview............
I get the impression that you have not seen much of Australia and also that you did not do your homework. If your job is on the skills list - the jobs are out there. Why are you so hung up on staying where you are? Oz is a huge place and re opportunity - that you have to create for yourself. Also if it is "culture" that you are after then you are definitely in the wrong place although that depends on how you define it. And what better way to network than to pigeonhole all the Aussies? Not to mention the others you have encountered who are prepared to do whatever it takes to pay the bills until the right job comes their way. The majority of forum users will not be impressed with your attitude so if it is sympathy you are after I think that you are in the wrong place on two counts (i.e., Oz and this forum).

Suggest you either get dug in and make use of the opportunity to live and work in Oz or call it a day and go back to where ever it is you came from.

Regards from someone who is working very hard towards that opportunity!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:47 am
Just Joined

brisrob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
Nothing against the good ol UK but your welcome to it.

I love it here in Melbourne. Australia has made my life more interesting, satisfying, meaningful, lifestylish .

And I wouldn;t swap it for a brand new unbroken wash line.
Good for you. Yes Melbourne is a brilliant city and I probably would have been more settled there, but you know, life's inertia...

Yes, that was my mistake, to quote umm...
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:42 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by brisrob
Are you trying to take credit for my penetrating insult?

And who the f* cares ?

(TO ALL) I'll say it now and then I'll keep my peace: if you think that moving from UK to Oz is going to make your life more interesting, satisfying, meaningful, lifestylish (?) whatever, think twenty-four times again. Someone stated on this forum that (paraphrasing) the UK is not as bad a place as the UK thinks it is. So true, but here's a blast - there is no better country in the Western world to live in than the UK IMHO. I have travelled between the two countries many, many times, and the British self-hatred versus the Aussie self-love is finally approaching a balance. To be honest, and this is an opinion shared by many of my friends, if there is no compelling reason, you are INSANE to reject the UK for here.

I live in Brisbane, and what's worse, a suburb of Brisbane. I want to like it and the appallingly humid weather, but I can"t. There is not a civic structure (such as a library) within ten kilometres of my house - maybe some would like that - and in the ten (YES TEN) years I've lived here my attempts to enjoy the joint have only been deflated by the hickness, weather and pure banality. In a word or two: anyone who wants to live in it can have it - suckers!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:13 am
Just Joined

richyrocker is a jewel in the roughrichyrocker is a jewel in the roughrichyrocker is a jewel in the roughrichyrocker is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by suebrennan
I get the impression that you have not seen much of Australia and also that you did not do your homework. If your job is on the skills list - the jobs are out there. Why are you so hung up on staying where you are? Oz is a huge place and re opportunity - that you have to create for yourself. Also if it is "culture" that you are after then you are definitely in the wrong place although that depends on how you define it. And what better way to network than to pigeonhole all the Aussies? Not to mention the others you have encountered who are prepared to do whatever it takes to pay the bills until the right job comes their way. The majority of forum users will not be impressed with your attitude so if it is sympathy you are after I think that you are in the wrong place on two counts (i.e., Oz and this forum).

Suggest you either get dug in and make use of the opportunity to live and work in Oz or call it a day and go back to where ever it is you came from.

Regards from someone who is working very hard towards that opportunity!
Jesus ? thanks for the comments but to put you in the picture i was sponsored by the state of victoria and fast tracked through the migration process as my skills were of high priority, they dont tell you where mind ? and thats where the support stops , you cant even sign yourself to a centrelink thinking they would job match you to any vacancies, they were not interested ? i went to 6 different centrlinks throught Victoria? there not interested because you as a migrant cannot earn them any commision , fees etc for finding you work , centrelink only assists unemployed citizens because thats how they make there money. I did not give up , i then done the hard knock going door to door selling my self , all very interested , some made offers but for less pay than a backpacker ?i even to make ends meet worked as a building labourer working for peanuts , while the rest of the crew lazed about or chatted , i done more work in i week than 3 of them , just to prove a point.I also worked in a hardware store for 1 month which was only tempory contract while my wife worked in a supermarket instead of secretarial management , so please dont tell me i have a attitude and didnt give it a go
Due to being sponsored by the Vic goverment i could not just bugger off and work in another state as that was part of the deal. Im sure everyones storys are different , but i met a lot of brits who have had similar problems.
I hope you have better luck , but im lucky we went over to new zealand and it was awesome had 3 ammazzing job offers, people so much nicer, great culture and cheap houses still so i know what im doing.........
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:17 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus ? thanks for the comments but to put you in the picture i was sponsored by the state of victoria and fast tracked through the migration process as my skills were of high priority, they dont tell you where mind ? and thats where the support stops , you cant even sign yourself to a centrelink thinking they would job match you to any vacancies, they were not interested ? i went to 6 different centrlinks throught Victoria? there not interested because you as a migrant cannot earn them any commision , fees etc for finding you work , centrelink only assists unemployed citizens because thats how they make there money. I did not give up , i then done the hard knock going door to door selling my self , all very interested , some made offers but for less pay than a backpacker ?i even to make ends meet worked as a building labourer working for peanuts , while the rest of the crew lazed about or chatted , i done more work in i week than 3 of them , just to prove a point.I also worked in a hardware store for 1 month which was only tempory contract while my wife worked in a supermarket instead of secretarial management , so please dont tell me i have a attitude and didnt give it a go
Due to being sponsored by the Vic goverment i could not just bugger off and work in another state as that was part of the deal. Im sure everyones storys are different , but i met a lot of brits who have had similar problems.
I hope you have better luck , but im lucky we went over to new zealand and it was awesome had 3 ammazzing job offers, people so much nicer, great culture and cheap houses still so i know what im doing.........
is it a coincidence that within seconds of bisrob logging off that rickrocker logs on
one and the same person living i the uk
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:17 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

What was your skill that was of a high priority?
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:27 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
is it a coincidence that within seconds of bisrob logging off that rickrocker logs on
one and the same person living i the uk
is also a coincidence that both bisrob and rickrocker
have only submitted posts between 1.30pm and 8.15 GMT
which is 11.30pm to 6.15am Au time are you both nocturnal as well as your posts have been regular between these times

like i said originally crawl back under your rock troll
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Gonna send a doirty pic to your email tommorrow!!!!

Stand by!

Haven't had an e-mail Was looking forward to that too
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:41 am
Just Joined

richyrocker is a jewel in the roughrichyrocker is a jewel in the roughrichyrocker is a jewel in the roughrichyrocker is a jewel in the rough

is also a coincidence that both bisrob and rickrocker
have only submitted posts between 1.30pm and 8.15 GMT
which is 11.30pm to 6.15am Au time are you both nocturnal as well as your posts have been regular between these times

like i said originally crawl back under your rock troll
Are you a frustrated detective or some sorts ? what is the relevance of what time i log on or off. and how does this affect my comments or expierience ? i wish your comments were more constructive as people yet to migrate like to hear both sides of the coin, hopefully they can learn from others bad expeirences and cock ups ......
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:42 am
Worongary

Are you a frustrated detective or some sorts ? what is the relevance of what time i log on or off. and how does this affect my comments or expierience ? i wish your comments were more constructive as people yet to migrate like to hear both sides of the coin, hopefully they can learn from others bad expeirences and cock ups ......
no just pointing out that your a lie-ing toss pot
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:46 am
Just Joined

no just pointing out that your a lie-ing toss pot
what ive made everything up ? i didnt really migrate to Australia ?????Itwas just a bad dream ..........thankgod
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:49 am
Worongary

what ive made everything up ? i didnt really migrate to Australia ?????Itwas just a bad dream ..........thankgod
where shall i deliver your pizza
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:51 am
Worongary

where shall i deliver your pizza

would you like garlic bread with that sir

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.