Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia really is the most phenomenally overrated concept/place ever, isn't it.

Wikiposts

Australia really is the most phenomenally overrated concept/place ever, isn't it.

Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia really is the most phenomenally overrated concept/place ever, isn't it.

Originally Posted by IndieG
Could be due to that great big hole in the Ozone layer over Oz?
It's not there anymore so it can't be due to that.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:26 pm
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia really is the most phenomenally overrated concept/place ever, isn't it.

Originally Posted by fish.01
And you can go out in the sun Australia for 15 mins and not get burnt at all? I don't understand your point?
On a hot day in Australia, when the UV is raging, you will get burnt in fifteen minutes. Twenty minutes maximum. You have to put sunscreen on ALL the time, EVERYWHERE you go.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mono
On a hot day in Australia, when the UV is raging, you will get burnt in fifteen minutes. Twenty minutes maximum. You have to put sunscreen on ALL the time, EVERYWHERE you go.
That's bollocks, depends on your skin type, olive skinned and dark skinned people can go longer than that

And your comment earlier about not getting sun burnt in the snow is bollocks too. Have you ever been skiing, one of the things you have to protect against is the sun, quite easy to burn on a mountainside
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:30 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

You could streak then you'd get there faster and spend less time in the sun.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to disagree with that. Quite a few times (I'll slap myself later) I've gone out without sunscreen in the height of summer to do something and been out longer than that and not got burnt or even pink, just hot. I'm fairly pale skinned.

Don't try this at home people
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
My life is better here because we spend more time together as a family. My husband is home at 5.30 every night. We eat dinner together every night. Before moving here the only time we all ate dinner together was at a weekend. We had no other options in the UK due to work. Here work is better and closer to home. We also like the sunshine, it improves our mood.
Excellent reasons
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:45 pm
ABCDiamond

I rarely do. There are a few days in the year that I feel I need to, but then I used to do that on my holidays in Spain too.

Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
That's bollocks, depends on your skin type, olive skinned and dark skinned people can go longer than that

And your comment earlier about not getting sun burnt in the snow is bollocks too. Have you ever been skiing, one of the things you have to protect against is the sun, quite easy to burn on a mountainside
In case they don't believe you... from the UK NHS

Sunburn does not only happen in hot weather. Light reflecting off snow can also cause sunburn. A breeze, cloudy sky or swimming may make you feel cooler but sunlight can still get through and damage your skin.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Sunburn...roduction.aspx

Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In case they don't believe you... from the UK NHS
In fact you're probably more likely to suffer skin damage in those conditions because you're less likely to consider it harmful, especially in places like Britain where people only equate burning and cancer with high summer sunshine.

I did read somewhere that there's some daft celebrity (can't remember who but I think it was Britain, could have been the US) stating that everyone should have a sun bed in their house to get a tan safely and therefore not get cancer, the ignorance will continue.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:04 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
In fact you're probably more likely to suffer skin damage in those conditions because you're less likely to consider it harmful, especially in places like Britain where people only equate burning and cancer with high summer sunshine.

I did read somewhere that there's some daft celebrity (can't remember who but I think it was Britain, could have been the US) stating that everyone should have a sun bed in their house to get a tan safely and therefore not get cancer, the ignorance will continue.
Then you get the daft lilly whites who go to the other extreme.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:06 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d

Esp if yer plane crashes into it
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:18 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuart.and.michelle
This is not the sole reason for us moving. We also feel that we shall have a much better standard of living. I know that we spend most days in Scotland stuck indoors due to the rain/temperature etc.
You'll ALSO find yourself stuck indoors a hell of a lot during summer due to the heat and humidity(in some places). It can get so bad that a 5min walk down to the local shop becomes a truly daunting task...so Aussies get used to driving the air-con car instead, adding to the obesity problem. And in winter it can team with rain, again putting the kibosh on any outdoor activities.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:25 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Adelaides hell on earth not OZ, OZ is huge country, its not all the same, Adealides probably the hottest city in OZ. When it 43c in Adelaide its probably in the mid 20c's in Melbourne and Sydeny
I'd contest that. It'll be 43c in Adelaide Monday and 41c in Melbourne. Perth is also well known for heatwaves that last days.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

vicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant future

Nah.

Again, sorry to disappoint.

Me? Disappointed?

Obviously you are by starting this thread.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

If you believe the hype abou Oz then you're gonna be disappointed and think it overrated. Unless your name is Dick Whittington, don't set your sights too high and you won't be disappointed, the oz on the box is the holiday destination not the reality.

Having said that, 2 years down the line, if I had believed all the hype I still wouldn't be disappointed (well only the bit where I'm not riding a Kangaroo to work)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.