Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia really is the most phenomenally overrated concept/place ever, isn't it.

Australia really is the most phenomenally overrated concept/place ever, isn't it.

Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:02 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia really is the most phenomenally overrated concept/place ever, isn't it.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
So were does this thing you have about Paradise come from then ?
The way people talk about Australia, the way they promote it, the way they defend it, the way people act like their lives are SO much better here. They are often reluctant to define how or why though cos they don't want to admit it comes down to a sun-tan and an extra living room to keep the kids out of the way.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:03 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia really is the most phenomenally overrated concept/place ever, isn't it.

Originally Posted by vicki78
Not all of us move out here for a "pathetic obsession with sunshine and big houses" as you put it.
Having said that, you might have had that "expectation" when you first came out and obviously experienced a massive disappointment.
Nah.

Again, sorry to disappoint.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:04 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuart.and.michelle
Its minus 10 degrees here right now so why can't we aspire for a bit of sunshine?
You can get gorgeous sunshine on a freezing cold day, anywhere. It's 10:30 pm here in Adelaide and the weather is just about bearable. Tomorrow will be 43. Monday will be 43. This place is Hell on Earth.

I would gladly swap my two days of 43 with 30 days of minus 10. And I'd give you ample cash on top if we could do that swap in the next 12 hours mate!!

Australia is not overrated. It's Hell on Earth.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:04 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mono
Why is sun the embodiment/definition of ''good'' weather?

I just think valuing sunshine above most other things is a little, well, shallow.
I don't think many do. Life, family, good health, money, food, wine etc etc ad infinitum, are all valued higher by almost everyone one would assume?
Sunshine makes me happy, miserable cold makes me unhappy. This is not at all uncommon or wrong.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:06 am
ABCDiamond

The way people talk about Australia, the way they promote it, the way they defend it, the way people act like their lives are SO much better here. They are often reluctant to define how or why though cos they don't want to admit it comes down to a sun-tan and an extra living room to keep the kids out of the way.
That doesn't equal paradise.

Maybe they just like it here. But unfortunately some people can't accept that some others are happy, when they aren't, and need to find other reasons.

And I know exactly what I am talking about, as I used to do exactly that when I hated Australia with a passion.

Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by stuart.and.michelle
A number of reasons but heres a couple to start with:

1) I have a 3 year old daughter who to be honest spends very little time outside getting fresh air. Sure its fun to take her out in the snow now and again but it does grate on you after a while that she can't play in the garden without 15 layers!!!!

2) I work as an on site civil engineer. Now you try standing out in this weather for 8-10 hours a day and tell me that its just "seasonal." Its criminal having people out in this weather and given I'm only 30 right now. I'd much prefer to be in a much sunnier climate in the years to come.
1) So you won't mind her getting ''fresh air'' in Australia in the 34 plus degree heat and having skin like a cheap handbag at 40 and perhaps skin cancer soon after, then? Of course not. You are probably one of those who thinks skin cancer happens to ''other people''.

2) So you'd like to be a tradie outside building a McMansion in 29, 30, 31 degrees then? The sun in Australia is ALWAYS intense, all over the nation, even if the temperature isn't as high as all that.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kporte
I don't think many do. Life, family, good health, money, food, wine etc etc ad infinitum, are all valued higher by almost everyone one would assume?
Sunshine makes me happy, miserable cold makes me unhappy. This is not at all uncommon or wrong.
Wine?? Have they run out of wine in Tesco?? Sorry - it's been a month or three since I was there and haven't been checking the news enough.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Snow never gave anyone skin cancer.
Yes, actually snow reflects, so therefore being in the snow does cause sunburn, which causes skin cancer.

Winter activities, such as snow skiing and snow boarding, pose a high risk of sunburn because UV radiation is more severe in alpine regions than at sea level. Snow is also very efficient at reflecting UV radiation. http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...burn_explained
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yes, actually snow reflects, so therefore being in the snow does cause sunburn, which causes skin cancer.

Winter activities, such as snow skiing and snow boarding, pose a high risk of sunburn because UV radiation is more severe in alpine regions than at sea level. Snow is also very efficient at reflecting UV radiation. http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...burn_explained
Deliberately taking me literally. As I expect you know.

Settled snow lasting more than a few days is rare in most of the UK. Coldest winter in 30 years right now.

Sun burn conditions 2/3 of the year at least in Australia.

Well done on making a pointless point.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:11 am
Account Closed

Wine?? Have they run out of wine in Tesco?? Sorry - it's been a month or three since I was there and haven't been checking the news enough.
I can't drink the stuff anymore anyway
What makes you think Tesco has run out though?
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dorothy

And which also only applies if it's sunny at the same time. Which, when it snows in the UK, it generally isn't.

Doh.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kporte
I can't drink the stuff anymore anyway
What makes you think Tesco has run out though?
Because one of the benefits of Australia is, apparently, the wine.

I was always under the bizarre misconception that you could purchase Australian wine in any UK supermarket or off-license.

Perhaps I was wrong.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

Are you originally from Oz Mono?

If not why did you go? If so why are you still there?

We all make decisions in life that we feel are the best for us. We are fully aware that there shall be times that the sun is unbearable but you'd have to be a complete moron not to be weary of skin cancer and not take the proper pre-cautions.

P.S. You can still get skin cancer in any country. It ain't just in Oz. In Scotland sunbed shops are rife so I think you'll find that skin cancer is sadly more common than you'd think in this country.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:14 am
Just Joined

gingerlindz is just really nicegingerlindz is just really nicegingerlindz is just really nicegingerlindz is just really nicegingerlindz is just really nicegingerlindz is just really nicegingerlindz is just really nicegingerlindz is just really nice

Nice one Dorothy, I was about to say the exact same.

It takes many different things to make different people happy, and everyone is different.

And as Stuart and Michelle say skin cancer in the UK is becoming more and more prevalent due to the mentality that skin cancer only affects you in hot sunny countries, so therefore when the sun does come out the british very seldom use sun screen in their own country.

Last edited by gingerlindz; Jan 9th 2010 at 11:17 am.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:14 am
Account Closed

Deliberately taking me literally. As I expect you know.

Settled snow lasting more than a few days is rare in most of the UK. Coldest winter in 30 years right now.

Sun burn conditions 2/3 of the year at least in Australia.

Well done on making a pointless point.
Higher proportion of skin cancers in Aus.
Higher proportion of deaths from skin cancer in the uk.

You are correct about the sun however much more likely to die from it in Britain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.