British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Australia. Real Future or Banana State in Making? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/australia-real-future-banana-state-making-919253/)

the troubadour Nov 15th 2018 8:16 am

Re: Australia. Real Future or Banana State in Making?

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12593731)
Like I said, his premise was Australia was lucky because it could rely on mass immigration and natural resources for its economic success rather than, say, innovation or wise governance. I think that continues to largely be the case although not sustainable going forward for much longer.

You seem just to be repeating what others have already posted?

You are seemingly as confused as you are with your location. Explain to me just where I am repeating what others have posted?
As for the rest, yes Australia has been lucky in riding on the sheep's back and the resource boom/bust that followed. Australia is and always has been a settler country. But the topic is about whether Australia has a Real Future or condemned to be a Banana State.
I take it you are in the camp that the party is over ?

Beoz Nov 15th 2018 8:39 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12593829)
But it doesn't do anything other than ship out raw resources which are largely dependant on overseas pricing. Australia produces little finished product of high value.

So?

Amazulu Nov 15th 2018 9:49 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12593819)
Your on the right path, even being sarcastic. No my fault if you don't understand democracy. Or at least how it can be abused and influence by unelected bodies that do under mine the entire process. Although you were not raised in a country, following the democratic process, so allowances made.

Now a great example, to show how the democratic process can be so easily manipulated, indeed corrupted, outside of gerrymandering, which previously discussed, is the subversion of democracy by the very rich or influential. The billionaire mining tycoons targeting the well appointed new resource tax in 2010 I think it was, pointed clearly to sinister goings on behind the scenes. The dirty tricks of mining companies prepared to play dirty, resulted in an elected government being deposed several weeks later.
That was of course, subverting a function democracy.

Your definition of gerrymandering is wrong

Wikipedia is a good source of information for those like you who only have an elementary understanding of politics and economics. Now, that's nothing to be embarrassed about, it just is what it is

the troubadour Nov 15th 2018 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12593848)
So?

So? A country requires something to be produced of quality to obtain value. Africa is full of raw recourses but hardly wealthy. Australia needs to be more than a quarry to remain successful. Riding on China's coat tails, will likely be less an option in the future.

the troubadour Nov 15th 2018 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12593864)
Your definition of gerrymandering is wrong

Wikipedia is a good source of information for those like you who only have an elementary understanding of politics and economics. Now, that's nothing to be embarrassed about, it just is what it is

Clueless. If you need to consult Wikipedia to learn what gerrymandering is then your overall standing on the issue doesn't bare thinking about. Why do you enter conversations that you are clueless on? Begs belief. Indeed something to be embarrassed about, if you have never been instructed with regards the misuse of gerrymandering in order to obtain gain.

Amazulu Nov 15th 2018 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12594187)
Clueless. If you need to consult Wikipedia to learn what gerrymandering is then your overall standing on the issue doesn't bare thinking about. Why do you enter conversations that you are clueless on? Begs belief. Indeed something to be embarrassed about, if you have never been instructed with regards the misuse of gerrymandering in order to obtain gain.

Your definition of gerrymandering is incorrect

BritInParis Nov 15th 2018 10:46 pm

Gerrymandering is the redrawing of electoral boundaries in order to favour one political party. Nothing to do with the corruption of the political process by the rich.

Amazulu Nov 15th 2018 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12594210)
Gerrymandering is the redrawing of electoral boundaries in order to favour one political party. Nothing to do with the corruption of the political process by the rich.

Spot on

Very topical in the US at the moment as it looks to have really helped DT and the Republican party

BritInParis Nov 15th 2018 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12594215)
Spot on

Very topical in the US at the moment as it looks to have really helped DT and the Republican party

Both sides have been at it for years. Most electoral districts in the US are absolutely ridiculous.

the troubadour Nov 15th 2018 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12594203)

If you had the remotest understanding of politics, you would know what gerrymandering is. That being what I said. It is used by the party in power of the day, in order to take advantage of boundary changes, in order to better influence outcome.

What exactly about this issue that you fail to understand? I'm afraid your political savvy is dismal in ignorance in the extreme. A real candidate to fall victim to right wing rhetoric if any.

the troubadour Nov 15th 2018 11:06 pm

Spot on

What are you agreeing with? Exactly what I informed you it was. USA election as always, those in power dictate the process of gerrymandering.

the troubadour Nov 15th 2018 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12594210)

Are you referring to my response? If so the example of big business and big money, was obviously not an example of gerrymandering, but a further explanation of how the democratic process is corrupted. Please read what is written.

the troubadour Nov 15th 2018 11:21 pm

Spot on

What is topical in America, at the moment, of course, is how did a demagogue, with very dubious allegiance to democratic norms, firstly gain nomination , and just how serious a threat to the democratic process that will prove to be.

Amazulu Nov 15th 2018 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12594218)
If you had the remotest understanding of politics, you would know what gerrymandering is. That being what I said. It is used by the party in power of the day, in order to take advantage of boundary changes, in order to better influence outcome.

What exactly about this issue that you fail to understand? I'm afraid your political savvy is dismal in ignorance in the extreme. A real candidate to fall victim to right wing rhetoric if any.

That's not what you said

'The best form of defence is attack' - Irwin Rommel

the troubadour Nov 16th 2018 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12594229)
That's not what you said

'The best form of defence is attack' - Irwin Rommel

That is exactly what I said. Just shows the need to consult Wikipedia, suggests a completely unknown phrase to you. Probably why you misunderstood. The subject matter being the your un critiqued belief in Anglo Saxon democracy . Hope you have a few tips to help you along the way now.