Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is Australia going to be worth moving to now John Howard has gone?

Is Australia going to be worth moving to now John Howard has gone?

Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia going to be worth moving to now John Howard has gone?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It was a reality for 100's of recent Apost employees.

The Workchoice system, was about to be used on the Qland Nurses. As their EBA finishes after the election. The first thing that most employers did was remove Penalty Payments, (shift allowance) Whether or not they were better off afterwards was where the crux of the Workchoice issue lay.
Tried to send you karma, but it wont let me. Nice to see someone discussing solid reasons for their voting preference / varying opinions on the subject rather than the usual your a fwit cause you dont agree with me theme.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Tried to send you karma, but it wont let me. Nice to see someone discussing solid reasons for their voting preference / varying opinions on the subject rather than the usual your a fwit cause you dont agree with me theme.
Just because someone has a solid reason for a voting preference doesn't mean they aren't a fwit.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Both parties were so lacking in concrete policies, I think it's quite understandable that they would vote on daft reasons.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Just because someone has a solid reason for a voting preference doesn't mean they aren't a fwit.

Besides fwit modes more entertaining - as you were
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:46 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NedKelly
If they thought they were getting screwed under Howard wait until the interest rate hikes begin to bite now Rudd is in. Then they will know what it is really like to be screwed.
They were happening anyway because of USA even with Howard in place, so how will we tell which one's are because of Rudd. My mortgage has gone up by $100's under Howard.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
They were happening anyway because of USA even with Howard in place, so how will we tell which one's are because of Rudd. My mortgage has gone up by $100's under Howard.
As long as the rates stay at a pro-rata level with other countries that we deal with, then the new government should be seen as doing a good job.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Shady is an unknown quantity at this point

As an employer, we gave more than we got when we introduced work choices. Even though we pay above award, in the past month I have employed 4 youngsters, 3 abandoned the work after less than a week. Didn't even ring in, we had to call them to find out they weren't going to continue working!

Unions will want to go back to the good old days of "one in all in", and minimum overtime hours EG 4hrs pay for one hours work. All the things that made us so productive in the 70s and 80s (and sent our industries off shore).

Rudd, like Howard won't fix all the sweat shops out there, even though they will continue to be exposed on those so called "current affairs" shows. The lowest paid minorities will continue to be ignored by all. The unions care as much about the workers as the employers do. Some do, some don't - build a bridge and get over it.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:58 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
As long as the rates stay at a pro-rata level with other countries that we deal with, then the new government should be seen as doing a good job.
We have to give him a chance to show his stuff like all governments there will be good and bad.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Interest rates are going down in the USA. You can bet that the opposition will not care about the fact that were going up anyway but will still use the fact against them at next election.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Shady
Unions will want to go back to the good old days of "one in all in", and minimum overtime hours EG 4hrs pay for one hours work. All the things that made us so productive in the 70s and 80s (and sent our industries off shore).

4 hours pay for one hours work?? Never happened to me under awards. All our award did was ensure that other clerical employers in the same industry couldn't undercut us on wages. Awards actually helped my boss: everyone knew where they stood.

I can understand a minimum of 4 hours pay if you have to suddenly and unexpectedly come in from home - two hours travel + expenses for one hours pay is unreasonable, but when we did overtime we just got time and a quarter for the first 3 hours, then time and a half.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by martinw01908
I liked John Howard and his government. I liked his stance on immigration. I thought it refreshing that he didn't follow blind panic about a global warming theory which is still very much in debate and decided to protect the interests of Australia by not signing up to the Kyoto treaty. I liked lots of his other policies.

This new lot, look like they will pull out of Iraq and sign the Kyoto treaty. This will probably lead to loads of environmental taxes. I fear that Australia could go the same way of the UK.

Of course I could be wrong. I want to know what other people think, what now for Australia?
It's going to be better for immigrants now..because you don't have to worry about your jobs being subject to unfair work place agreements...you dont have to worry about crappy conditions at work...the labor party has promised to scrap them..and so they should...so that should be a load off your mind. As Kim Beazely said "the coalition has paid the penalty for WorkChoices". Too damn right they have. Here, here.

It was a drunken night for me on election night...my cousin and I celebrated with two bottles of wine.

Cheers, Veg.

Last edited by Vegemite; Nov 26th 2007 at 6:32 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Labour supported the war on Iraq, and Rudd was convinced that Hussein had WMD. So I don't see our troops coming home any time soon. This is a shame, because they should never have been there in the first place.

Rudd has said he will sign Kyoto, but his true commitment to green issues remains to be seen. Nobody had proposed environmental taxes in the first place, so you have nothing to worry about on that score.

Australia will definitely be a better place without the WorkChoices legislation.
Vash,

Just so you know, Labor has already announced that they will bring the troops home from Iraq. Let's hope that they follow through on this!!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bridie
Funny because judging by the state by state results most people were quite happy under liberal

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/fede.../guide/map.htm

It's only because NSW and Victoria have so many seats in their regions that the result ended up the way it did.
Huh??

How were "most people happy under liberal?"

Didn't Labor win in every state except W.A?

There was a strong swing in Queensland (usually a liberal strong hold state)...so that to me suggests that the majority of Queenslanders were NOT happy with the Coalition.

It seems the only state that was happy with John Howards govt was W.A.

Clearly most people were not happy.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

I can't believe that the howard gov believed that all its voters are stupid enough to be sucked in by the"under labour interest rates go above 10%" crap. The government of a relatively small economy like this can not out do the global economy. Remember the early 90s? They would have you believe it was all labours fault that interest rates where 17%.
The whole world was paying rates like this due to a global recession..
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Sh-Ah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
Too true. That comment of Australia being 15/20 years behind the UK comes up quite often and its crap.

Australia has progressed in a different way (thank heavens) and just because some feel its less advanced in some ways its certainly more advanced in others.

Not being like the UK is a good thing, despite what a few die hard poms might think.
Too bloody right! And the US? Sheesh they get bagged here at every turn yet they are imitated endlessly in every way by not only the young'ns but the boomers it seems too. Unfortunately we are rapidly losing our Australian qualities...our "ozziness". And seriously I'll often get a glimpse on tv of some American shows or news or docos and I am totally taken aback by the sameness of the streetscape and housing estates to ours - a recent plastic leggo phenomenon.

Basically IMAO the above statements before mine that are quoted suggest that we are supposed to keep up or copy other countries. That irks me.
Does every country need to be the same?
What a bland predicament indeed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.