Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia excells--in thieving--again--a whinge!

Australia excells--in thieving--again--a whinge!

Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia excells--in thieving--again--a whinge!

Bought an ipod of ebay US via Ebay Aus a couple of weeks ago it tracked via three US states + Honolulu , through customs at Alexandria and on to Startrack Express (affiliate of the band of thieves otherwise known as Australia post)arrived this morning------

----Well the package arrived this morning---

Courier rushed the missus with a sign here , handed over the package and bolted.

The packing had been replaced to give the impression of some weight and by the time she realised that it seemed to light-----to late---courier was throwing a wheely 100 yards down the road.

And the ipod and it's accessories was --well-- absent.

What really zisses me of is the deliberate confusification of delivering an empty package, lost is lost , no worries , but empty package throws doubt on everyone from the sender to the receiver.----.

And makes claiming the insurance proportionately harder--perhaps impossible.

This will not go away for Star-Track, I don't often get really zzzissed off ---

BE WARNED CHECK THE CONTENTS OF ANY COURIERED ITEM BEFORE SIGNING FOR IT.

Last edited by BASHO; Jul 26th 2013 at 12:13 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia excells--in thieving--again--a whinge!

how annoying, had something similar happened to myself :-(

I did wonder at the time how I knew the seller hadn't done this tho to make it look like the postie did?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
how annoying, had something similar happened to myself :-(

I did wonder at the time how I knew the seller hadn't done this tho to make it look like the postie did?
I had a similar thought but doubt it a/ the guy has a blemish free selling record with Ebay, b/ it had to go through customs and I would presume if there was nothing in the box it would have been picked up on the hand over to the courier----

------------aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh or maybe not
Old Jul 26th 2013, 10:06 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

eBay generally side with the buyer. If you paid with Paypal you need to start a claim with them before the time limit (can't remember but it's something like 28 days). Also reverse the charge on the credit card.

My angle wouldn't be telling Paypal that Stratrack Express ripped you off but that you ordered an item and it an empty package arrived. Make it between the seller and Startrack Express.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

That is annoying for you. They seem to have stolen the birthday card my sister has sent too. OH wait, it might be because she has forgotten, or hates me. But it isn't like her to forget.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by renth
eBay generally side with the buyer. If you paid with Paypal you need to start a claim with them before the time limit (can't remember but it's something like 28 days). Also reverse the charge on the credit card.

My angle wouldn't be telling Paypal that Stratrack Express ripped you off but that you ordered an item and it an empty package arrived. Make it between the seller and Startrack Express.
Thanks for the advice particularly on reversing the bank payment , I payed two weeks ago, do you know if this can still be done ?

I started a claim within minutes of the empty box arriving and Paypal are making a run at the buyer, which imo is wrong. I believe he acted in good faith and did dispatch the wretched ipod .

I understand why they're doing it , it's far easier to try it on and bully an individual rather that a company .

My wife had an issue a couple of years ago where the buyer claimed non receipt of the article (including packaging) it had been sent by Expresspost
and I remember she had a hell of a time with Paypal she ended up telling them to jamit and that she would welcome a day in court so file the damn action, they went away ---but she remained unable to use Papal or to buy/sell on Fleebay for a while.

It's not so much the theft that realy fries my tomato's it's nastiness of the the fraud , if the entire thing had gone AWOL it's simple, claim from underwriter, underwriter claim from ins Co , tax deduction for ins Co.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGG this is toasting my nuts I feel the need to commit large amounts of GBH on someone .

Old Jul 27th 2013, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BASHO
AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGG this is toasting my nuts I feel the need to commit large amounts of GBH on someone .

Basho, got any form?
Old Jul 27th 2013, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Basho, got any form?
If I find the plik who knocked of the ipod I likely will have
Old Jul 27th 2013, 3:04 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

If I find the plik who knocked of the ipod I likely will have
The question you haven't addressed is how someone along the way could know there was an ipod to be nicked? Sure, they could have been opening any likely package, stealing the good stuff and replacing it with filling, but that's a dodgy approach since nick too much stuff and it can easily be tracked back. And anyway, disappear the entire package is even better.

Meanwhile, I suggest again; a bluetooth 30pin adapter($10) and a cheapy Coles Android phone($30) or tablet($70) with a microSD card($20) - greater total functionality at comparable price to a second hand ipod.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GarryP
The question you haven't addressed is how someone along the way could know there was an ipod to be nicked? Sure, they could have been opening any likely package, stealing the good stuff and replacing it with filling, but that's a dodgy approach since nick too much stuff and it can easily be tracked back. And anyway, disappear the entire package is even better.

Meanwhile, I suggest again; a bluetooth 30pin adapter($10) and a cheapy Coles Android phone($30) or tablet($70) with a microSD card($20) - greater total functionality at comparable price to a second hand ipod.
Smart arse really-- nicking the content and leaving the packing , the documentation was left as well--they x ray all this stuff as it comes through customs don't they ? small packages nice blag easy lift, easy conceal, much better to leave the box behind, casts doubt on everyone who has handled the damn thing from the seller--did he actually put it in there , to the recipient - who said' it was empty --and everyone in between.

Need an ipod to dock with the stereo to use as a library , otherwise doubt I'd have a bar of it.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 3:56 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Smart arse really-- nicking the content and leaving the packing , the documentation was left as well--they x ray all this stuff as it comes through customs don't they ? small packages nice blag easy lift, easy conceal, much better to leave the box behind, casts doubt on everyone who has handled the damn thing from the seller--did he actually put it in there , to the recipient - who said' it was empty --and everyone in between.

Need an ipod to dock with the stereo to use as a library , otherwise doubt I'd have a bar of it.
If they do xray the package, they wont be looking for empty boxes - or missing articles. Xrays are done to locate drugs and other retricted artlicles.

Items going missing in the post is not unique to Australia, and items missing from packaging doesn't mean it was nicked. I would think if someone stole a package, it would be unlikely they would risk being caught returning an empty box, although it is still possible.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:03 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

???

Personally I use this to manage my music:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....nplayer&hl=en
though you can run xbmc if you want
http://xbmc.org/download/
or any one of a hundred 'library'/players - all on the phone/tablet itself.

Something I'm noting. Things are moving towards 'second screen' control - eg there is the phone or tablet you hold, then there are 'renderers' to 'display' the content - on the TV, on the HiFi, etc. using the benefit of the better interactivity and rich UI the phone/tablet brings. Conventional approaches (eg 'remotes') seem to be on the way out. Just look at Chromecast to see an example of the jump (it's not the only one).

I wondered why Logitech were trying to get out of their Harmony remotes, now it becomes clear.

Hell, I'm sitting here, controlling the music that's being played on the nice speakers in the next room via a tablet and a RaspPi running xbmc. A watch running the control can't be too far away.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If they do xray the package, they wont be looking for empty boxes - or missing articles. Xrays are done to locate drugs and other retricted artlicles.

Items going missing in the post is not unique to Australia, and items missing from packaging doesn't mean it was nicked. I would think if someone stole a package, it would be unlikely they would risk being caught returning an empty box, although it is still possible.
Did you just delete my response to your post ?

Last edited by BASHO; Jul 27th 2013 at 6:30 am.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GarryP
???

Personally I use this to manage my music:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....nplayer&hl=en
though you can run xbmc if you want
http://xbmc.org/download/
or any one of a hundred 'library'/players - all on the phone/tablet itself.

Something I'm noting. Things are moving towards 'second screen' control - eg there is the phone or tablet you hold, then there are 'renderers' to 'display' the content - on the TV, on the HiFi, etc. using the benefit of the better interactivity and rich UI the phone/tablet brings. Conventional approaches (eg 'remotes') seem to be on the way out. Just look at Chromecast to see an example of the jump (it's not the only one).

I wondered why Logitech were trying to get out of their Harmony remotes, now it becomes clear.

Hell, I'm sitting here, controlling the music that's being played on the nice speakers in the next room via a tablet and a RaspPi running xbmc. A watch running the control can't be too far away.
Thanks for that ,

Thing is I recently acquired a quite adequate compact Hi Fi with an iPod dock for not much money , I ain't new so it will come as no surprise that the type of ipod it requires is a Nano 3rd gen amongst other ancient iPod models which can again be had for not much moolah.

So far so good , there were an assortment of obviously seen better days Nano's on fleebay Aus hence my foray into ebay usa to hook a good one.

The rest is all -----
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Thing is I recently acquired a quite adequate compact Hi Fi with an iPod dock for not much money , I ain't new so it will come as no surprise that the type of ipod it requires is a Nano 3rd gen amongst other ancient iPod models which can again be had for not much moolah.
Err, yes, but the purpose of the $10 Bluetooth 30-pin adapter is to convert where you plug it in to Bluetooth. Thence you can connect anything that can push out audio over Bluetooth directly to the Hifi - eg a phone, a tablet, a laptop, anything. Means you aren't limited to apple, etc. In essence the Hifi becomes Bluetooth speakers.

eg like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo0talEdTTA

ipod stuff, even the small capacity old units, tend to be $80-$100 - which means it can be cheaper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.