austalian teenagers

Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default austalian teenagers

well, if anybody has read any of my previous posts about taking a teen fron scotland to aus, well what a twat my teen has made me look!! she is having the best time, she is the most settled out of us all,

i am unsettled untill teens friends visit then they have me laughing and they are so interested in us all...........................they have been a life saver!!!, i dont know why this is,............ is it younger people are more acceptable of immigrants.............is it they are more exposed to u.k t.v and have the same sense of humour............

maybe am just young at heart
Old Jan 9th 2008, 5:59 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: austalian teenagers

LOL re: your teen M

All that hassle and she loves it! You must be pleased.

I think teens aren't stuck in their ways and so like things that are a bit different (especially folk who talk funny ).
Old Jan 9th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Margaret3
well, if anybody has read any of my previous posts about taking a teen fron scotland to aus, well what a twat my teen has made me look!! she is having the best time, she is the most settled out of us all,

i am unsettled untill teens friends visit then they have me laughing and they are so interested in us all...........................they have been a life saver!!!, i dont know why this is,............ is it younger people are more acceptable of immigrants.............is it they are more exposed to u.k t.v and have the same sense of humour............

Hi Margaret,
I have read your posts in the past. I am so glad your daughter has settled. Its good to hear as I am taking a teenager over and an 11 year old. I am terrified they will hate it. I keep telling myself that the kids will probably settle quicker that we will.
I dont know if younger people are more acceptable or not. But I do know that I enjoy having my kids friends round, and I think they enjoy coming to ours. There is normally a tribe of them hahaha!.

Sharon
x
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Glw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant future

In my experience of when I was at school in WA when I was younger was that generally other people of my own age were accepting to some degree. Just another pom at the end of the day, although I think it's mainly just intergrating into Australian ways, something I couldn't really manage when I was 14/15, but perhaps things will change next time.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:01 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

...is it they are more exposed to u.k t.v and have the same sense of humour............

Could be, I saw a current affairs program a while back which was about the call centres in india. They showed the new employees in training and part of the training was to watch coronation street and other uk shows to educate the indians on what british people are like

I wonder if they would have to watch videos of Dallas and knotts landing if the clients were yankies
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Mags - great news that she seems to be having a ball.

I think that you may not be as settled due to the fact that you want everyone else to settle first? That is how it was with me. That is why it has taken so long for me - hubby settled and daughter and Tom didn't so I spent most of my time and energy into making him happy (or not as the case was) instead of trying to settle myself into a way of life and making new mates.

I have made loads of mates this year - after Tom decided to go back to the UK - this is my time now - I have done my bit and the rest is up to them!!!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

I think the aussie teens are interested in travel and the big wide world and a lot of them that I've spoken to seem to know somebody that's on a working holiday in the UK or travelling around or their parents are Brittish etc. Strangely, us migrants come here for a better life and our offspring go back to our homelands (in some cases!!) because of the lack of opportunities here! Bizzare!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

faris226 is on a distinguished road

same here!!
i just came to melb a month ago and im having a great time heree!!
people are so friendly here..i have joined RMIT college and its simply great.... =)
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:16 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Your teen was born to be an Aussie Mags. I remember all the worry you went through before moving out here.
I'd love to see her face now if you told her you were all going back.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:41 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

We've all settled very well, but our 2 teens did STRAIGHT AWAY! ...

Hearing my then 16 year old say to me "Dad, if we don't get PR I'm marrying one of my mates" was music to my ears! ...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

When we moved over with a 12 yr old he started grade 8 and went to camp the first week. He went from not knowing a soul in Oz to coming home and saying "I've got more mates here than in England!" That was the start of a very positive experience for him, he hated school in England but did really well here. IMO the teens here are just a lot more positive in their outlook to life. They showed him (just by being themselves) that you don't have to be surly and negtive. I really enjoy having them around and still have some of them popping in to see us even though my son has now moved back to England!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news Margaret All the kids my girls are friendly with are fab. They're polite, funny and it's just like having a laugh with a mate. My girls are quite shy, always have been and would rarely chat with friends parents. Just before christmas I was dropping one of first born's friends off and daughter asked me to wait as she wanted to go say happy christmas to friends mum. The feeling was amazing
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:59 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Excellent news Margaret All the kids my girls are friendly with are fab. They're polite, funny and it's just like having a laugh with a mate. My girls are quite shy, always have been and would rarely chat with friends parents. Just before christmas I was dropping one of first born's friends off and daughter asked me to wait as she wanted to go say happy christmas to friends mum. The feeling was amazing
Yeah something my 2 have found weird but are coming round to ...

I used to drop my son off at mates and he'd ask to be dropped round the corner knowing they'd want to come out and meet us. They do, and are ALWAYS very polite and introduce themselves, I like it!

Recently we had Ashley and a few of her friends in the lounge with us all watching TV. In the UK that would have NEVER happened! ... off to their room they'd go and never seen till their friend would leave!

A lot of staying over too and that's cool with us. Every weekend it's either a friend over or they're off to a friend and we're often left alone!

Can't complain! ...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:21 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: austalian teenagers

I think it's great that most preteens/teens aren't embarrassed by their parents here and that they are still kids in alot of ways. It's all good!

Jan