Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussies are tight arses for charities

Aussies are tight arses for charities

Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussies are tight arses for charities

And let's not forget the amount of time Aussie spend doing voluntary work and helping out with kids' stuff like school, scouts, etc...

I reckon that volunteerism is more prevalent here than in other places I've lived.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
And let's not forget the amount of time Aussie spend doing voluntary work and helping out with kids' stuff like school, scouts, etc...

I reckon that volunteerism is more prevalent here than in other places I've lived.
It is this type of charitable donation (people's time) that really get my respect. I have observed more people giving their time here than I did in the UK. Hat's off to them all.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:38 pm
Blah Blah Blah

Buttockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond repute

Up here it's the Surf Life Savers that amaze me with their generosity of time. At weekends when the rest of us are recovering from hangovers or shopping or having a lie-in these good folk are on patrol.

On the purely financial side I am shocked as to how generous some people on relatively low incomes actually are.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:17 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never found the folks in this area to be stingy when contributing to charity. We always do very well when raising funds for the local Brigade, we also run several fund raisers for charities at the local club & they always bring large crowds.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying I'm holier than thou. Cos when I first arrived here, with no job etc, I got stopped on the street by a young lady who spent about 20 minutes trying to soften me up into donating (on a regular ongoing basis) to oxfam.

When I tried to explain to her I had no income, and had no idea when I would have a steady income, that didn't put her off.

And she turned really narky when I put my foot down and said NO! not until I have some money coming in.

Nowadays, every cold call we get, we just say, we don't give money to charities that cold call.

I had a funny argument with a guy on the phone a couple of weeks ago. I said to him that we were on the "Do not call" register, and so he should not be calling us. He said "ahh, but charities are exempt", so I said, "why not check the do not call register anyway, cos It'll save you pissing off lots of people who don't want cold calls, and will never donate to your charity after getting one of your calls"

And he said "thats beside the point" and hung up!

JTL
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:33 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a very good point. I volunteer with meals on wheels and at the school and there are many many others who do the same.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
What?! I don't think we've had any discussion on the subject lately or ever.

Mrs JTL
We did last night. It's the senility kicking in

You even laughed when I said it would be a good thread on expats.

I'll get you that brain training game for your birthday, might improve your memory.

JTL
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:14 am
Account Closed

I'm not saying I'm holier than thou. Cos when I first arrived here, with no job etc, I got stopped on the street by a young lady who spent about 20 minutes trying to soften me up into donating (on a regular ongoing basis) to oxfam.

When I tried to explain to her I had no income, and had no idea when I would have a steady income, that didn't put her off.

And she turned really narky when I put my foot down and said NO! not until I have some money coming in.

Nowadays, every cold call we get, we just say, we don't give money to charities that cold call.

I had a funny argument with a guy on the phone a couple of weeks ago. I said to him that we were on the "Do not call" register, and so he should not be calling us. He said "ahh, but charities are exempt", so I said, "why not check the do not call register anyway, cos It'll save you pissing off lots of people who don't want cold calls, and will never donate to your charity after getting one of your calls"

And he said "thats beside the point" and hung up!

JTL
So basically you're a tight arse and you need to transfer it onto Aussies so you can feel a bit more comfortable.

No wonder you go around annoying your neighbours.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So basically you're a tight arse and you need to transfer it onto Aussies so you can feel a bit more comfortable.

No wonder you go around annoying your neighbours.
I'm not a tight arse now!! In fact, we give to charity rather than buying each other presents for birthdays, xmas etc.

And the neighbours annoyed me first, so it's only fair I give them some grief in return , the tight arsed selfish aussies that they are.

JTL
Old Mar 15th 2008, 2:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Following on from a previous thread that all Australians are selfish, Mrs JTL pointed out that they are also really crap at donating to charities.

Now I did a quick google, and I can't find any stats (you get the biggest load of nonsense when you google australia + charity). Doesn't exist apparently

Are australians a load of tight wads? And if they are, god save us as the economy bombs.

Do you feel the need to give, even when you're skint yourself? Or do you just think 'f**k it, look after number one and the family?'

JTL
Don't agree. Where I work there is always some sort of charity collection/fund raising drive going on. There was one this week for the RSPCA that raised quite a few k.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 2:26 am
Account Closed

I'm not a tight arse now!! In fact, we give to charity rather than buying each other presents for birthdays, xmas etc.

So you've taken citizenship then?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 2:35 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Following on from a previous thread that all Australians are selfish, Mrs JTL pointed out that they are also really crap at donating to charities.

Now I did a quick google, and I can't find any stats (you get the biggest load of nonsense when you google australia + charity). Doesn't exist apparently

Are australians a load of tight wads? And if they are, god save us as the economy bombs.

Do you feel the need to give, even when you're skint yourself? Or do you just think 'f**k it, look after number one and the family?'

JTL
Congratulations on the wrongest thread title you've ever posted

I do a lot of work for charidee, I just don't like to talk about it
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So you've taken citizenship then?

Oh good point!! Thats right, I'm an aussie, so forget Charity, for my next Birthday I want a Nintendo Wii and a Nintendo DS,

JTL

You've also just reminded me I should have voted today... oooops
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

In my workplaces, people take charity very seriously.

I used to work in Geelong and the workplace adopted:
United Way (helps people in need)
Adopt a Family at Christmas
Let's Read (encouraging kids from underpriviledged homes to start reading)

plus the numerous Jeans for Genes, SIDS Kids, Blue (whatever it is called) Shave for Leukemia fundraisers....the list is endless.

My current place supports (and holds fundraisers) for Berry St, Smith family and others.

Never had this in UK- and we can give through payroll here.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.

I feel strongly about certain aspects of charity. I am a volunteer for a charity here in the U.K and running the London marathon in April which btw is one of the biggest single fundraising events held on one day anywhere in the world. People have been great with me and I generally find the U.K very charity orientated (cannot comment on Australia as I don't know).

I think it is becoming harder for charities to raise money as there are more and more of them. There is always an appeal on T.V and even phone calls here in the U.K I think people are suffering "charity fatigue" and rightly a little pissed off with it at times. People have their own favourite charity and people should be aware of that if they pass them by when collecting.

I do not think charities should be allowed by law to phone you, send you letters or knock your door. I once had a woman at B & Q really sneer at me because I would not buy A "badge" for £1 at the local B&Q, who is she to judge me and she does not know who I may give to already .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.