Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Aussies are getting worried !

Wikiposts

The Aussies are getting worried !

Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:44 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Aussies are getting worried !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7571901.stm
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:55 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
...I'm informed by a good Aussie mate that there's now a 'by-head-of-population' count done on medals...
Brilliant... That's what was thrown at me by my General Mangler today when I dared to bring up the latest count... Up until now he'd been going on about how it's the total medal count that matters, but suddenly we're ahead by one on that and he's changed to the population load of bollox...
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
It's okay - I'm over my outrage about it now. The headline was 'Britain robs us of a medal' - next to a photo of that cycling chick that broke her back last year and came second in some cycling event. The upshot of the article (though I only read the blurb on the front page while I was waiting for the lady to ring up my four pack of Red Bull) was that Team GB 'stole' a couple of aussie coaches - and it was this, and this alone, that denied the poor wee broken bint of the gold medal that was 'rightfully her's'.

And what soothed my outrage? I followed a link elsewhere to a Daily Mail story and discovered that their headline story was (and I quote) "Team GB adds another silver and two bronze... despite some dirty tricks from German rival." Apparently the German in question had 'tugged their leg' during an ocean swim (who in their right ****ing mind would swim in Chinese seas?). But in their horror at this knobbling, they seem to have got their wires crossed because later they have a headline that says, "British pair accuse Russian who took gold of dirty tricks." So which is she, kraut or sputnik?

Anyway - it reinforced what I always knew, which is that you can't blame the attitudes of the media on the people of a country. Just because some shitty Australian rag throws the rattle out of the pram - doesn't mean all aussies have - any more than the Daily Fail's similar story reflects on the Brits.
The Aussies do seem obsessed with beating the British - much more than in my recollection, the reverse. It never ceases to amaze me the ire and venom spat towards the British - and particularly the English - by the Aussie media. I was listening again to some pretty vitriolic stuff on the radio today.
If one did not take such supreme satisfaction in the knowledge that one is from such a superior culture one could feel quite persecuted.

And it is generally the media - at work I hear the occasional very light-hearted attack on the Brits via sport (the latest is Kevn Ps appt to England capt) but it is generally rare and friendly - more often than not there is tremendous respect for the British.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:18 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Ignorant a**eholes.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Aug 21st 2008 at 3:27 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Ignorant a**eholes.
And oh my god, did you read the comments on the blog?!!!!!: :curse:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...the_brits.html
Old Aug 21st 2008, 4:06 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
And oh my god, did you read the comments on the blog?!!!!!: :curse:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...the_brits.html
Honestly F, I am so astounded by their ignorance I am lost for words.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Honestly F, I am so astounded by their ignorance I am lost for words.
I know, I was going relatively ok recently up until the Olympics. Now I just want to get the hell out of here asap The media, attitudes of the masses, sporting obsession, ridiculous and often nasty rivalry etc, around the Olympics stand for everything I dislike about the place.

The only thing I can honestly say I like about the place on a day to day basis is the weather. Oh, and some of the bars in Brisbane

p.s. almost forgot coffee too! ;-)
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:58 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Talk about sore losers!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 8:28 pm
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by rabsody
I know, I was going relatively ok recently up until the Olympics. Now I just want to get the hell out of here asap The media, attitudes of the masses, sporting obsession, ridiculous and often nasty rivalry etc, around the Olympics stand for everything I dislike about the place.

The only thing I can honestly say I like about the place on a day to day basis is the weather. Oh, and some of the bars in Brisbane

p.s. almost forgot coffee too! ;-)
Take a look at the thread in 'The Locker Room' about this same subject. If you haven't read the link before, it will make you want to go out aussie bashing.

I agree with everything you've said and it was the same for me during the last Olympics. It's truly sad the way they are behaving and they are making themselves look right prats on the world stage because of it too.

PS. I don't like the coffee here. My mum sends me coffee from the UK.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I have just told my colleague that as much as I love living here, I have never in my life met such a bunch of sore losers.

He told me I should be supporting Australia and each time we win, it is a fix and nothing else.

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You mix with the wrong Aussies.
At least he wanted her to support Australia - which means he accepts her living here...(!)

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I dont find Aussies sore losers either, they are very quick to congratulate after the event
Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Good to see GB doing well (hate the name Team GB - sounds trite).

Good to see Aussie doing reasonably well as well.
Originally Posted by cresta57
I don't think the Australian athletes are sore losers at all, they're always quick to congratulate the winners whoever they are.
Just a small proportion of Aussies are sore losers just like the U.K it those vocal few we hear, the problem is everyone hears & remembers a negative comment or jibe while the praise & favorable comments are forgotten in an instance
I think both teams have done exceptionally well so far
Originally Posted by moneypen20
Agreed. It was nice to see Grant Hackett standing up for the Tunisian guy who beat him, saying the guy had done his time for the drug offence, it was over, history and that he had simply swum better than him on the day, whilst certain sections of the media were gung ho about how the Tunisian shouldn't have been swimming at all.
Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Given the wide spectrum of different types of Aussie you could mix with, why do so many expats choose the sore loser, arrogant bogan types?
It never, never ceases to amaze me Martin.

As always, we're getting the full spectrum of opinion on this one.. Notice how the most balanced posters also often have the positive experiences of Australia. (There are also posters who I would expected a bit more from). There is a pattern...

All I can say is agree with the posters above, and blame some sections of the Australian media. If people did not turn on their radio and tune it to a parochial tabloid station (remember all radio is like this really) and avoid 7..
Can people manage this?

The one thing I've always been clear about the games is that it is more about the athletes than the countries even at this international level. All this sudden GB pride on other threads is no better than the Australian equivalent.

There was one vocal bloke in the office who complains that not enough money is spent on the arts.

People have complained about Australians dominating in key sports well now GB is doing the same, and Australia wins Silver in many other events. The tables have turned...money is being spent and GB might peak for 2012, just like Australia did with the AIS in the 80s in time for 2000. (Took them long enough) Remember, GB have won a lot more Golds than Australia - it's only in 2000 and 2004 that Australia have done exceptionally well.

As for sour grapes, I once walked through a crowd in a pub in London with an English colleague to be congratulated by Australians when England beat them. My colleague verbally insulted them, they were amazed - and the thing which got me the most was not the language but the fact he was visibly angry about it which might have taught a fair few Australians about the national character. He was angry after England had won,(the middle in a series of such wins over several years) and he still had a chip on his shoulder about it. I stayed behind and apologised and they were good about it.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Aug 22nd 2008 at 11:08 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:15 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
As for sour grapes, I once walked through a crowd in a pub in London with an English colleague to be congratulated by Australians when England beat them. My colleague verbally insulted them, they were amazed - and the thing which got me the most was not the language but the fact he was visibly angry about it which might have taught a fair few Australians about the national character. He was angry after England had won,(the middle in a series of such wins over several years) and he still had a chip on his shoulder about it. I stayed behind and apologised and they were good about it.
That's not typically English though is it, just sounds like your mate is a wanker, you get them in all nationalities.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
just sounds like your mate is a wanker, .
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 10:49 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
That's not typically English though is it, just sounds like your mate is a wanker, you get them in all nationalities.
Just what I was thinking!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by busterboy
All news to me. I haven't watched a minute of it so far. Probably because it is an obsession over here.

tell me about it
the aussie broadcasters are incredibly obssesed and insecure that they have deliberately avoided showing the brits win any golds
unless of course an aussie gets silver or bronze
incredible biased beyond belief
i was looking forward to seeing degale fight but it has not been shown, maybe it will be but i won't hold my breath
shame on you channel 7 and SBS - ignorant pricks
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I have just told my colleague that as much as I love living here, I have never in my life met such a bunch of sore losers.

He told me I should be supporting Australia and each time we win, it is a fix and nothing else.

I said to him that part of being a GOOD SPORTSMAN is accepting that you lose and do it with grace whilst at the same time, having the guts to congratulate the winning team.

I then told him that I suppose the gold medals won by Australia are 'fixes' as well. My god you would have thought I had suggested to kill a kitten or something.

I am not in to sport myself but neither am I in to being constantly told that my country is crap at sports.

Right, off for round 2 - he is sulking in his office and I am now going to wind him up like a clockwork mouse as I have had this piss taking all day.

And you know what? I can give as good as I get and tie anyone in knots who pushes me far enough.
it doesn't just show in sport though
look what happens when the aussies take the piss(soap dodger joke?)
the brits generally don't care but if a brit takes the piss which they do far better and wittier, they are arrogant pommy bastards!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.