Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Aussies are getting worried !

Wikiposts

The Aussies are getting worried !

Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Aussies are getting worried !

But it's all thanks to the Aussies that we're ahead don't you know:

Once, not so long ago, Australians were a proud people who walked tall with jutted jaws. The Poms were a source of amusement, a fallen imperial master weeping over a dog-eared scrapbook, its tattered images of Steve Redgrave, Seb Coe, Mary Rand and those blokes from Chariots Of Fire fading by the day.

As much as it hurt, you'd hear them say: "Why can't we be good at sport, like you Aussies?"

Triumphal, you'd smile, pat their bowed heads, and offer an almost heartfelt, "There, there, at least you've got Amy Winehouse."

Now there's not a hutong in Beijing you can disappear down without a smug cockney voice trailing you on the breeze, Bazza McKenzie impersonation in full swing. "Jeez cobber, what's happened to the Aussies, mate, ay? Bloody crook, fair dinkum!" Oh, the shame.

And there's no point telling them it's cheating to count Scotland, whom they can't even summon the energy to laugh at - until Chris Hoy is flying around the track on his pushbike.

What really hurts is the knowledge that, when they were down on their scabby knees pleading for any sporting morsel to be thrown their way, we came to their rescue.

Here you go, poor Poms, have our coaches, our programs, our secrets to success.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...911573038.html
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:49 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

The team's performance has Australia contesting third spot on the medal tally with Britain, and Coates said the friendly rivalry helps the Australian team as well.

He said he would not be giving up the prospect of finishing better than Britain until the final event is over.

"Never," he said. "My sense of pride says we can't let them beat us.

"They may well beat us this time but let's use that as the incentive to get the planning right for our high performance (program) and our attack on London in 2012 - our friendly attack."

Coates does concede that Britain has good prospects for more medals in the final week of the Games.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 5:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
The team's performance has Australia contesting third spot on the medal tally with Britain, and Coates said the friendly rivalry helps the Australian team as well.

He said he would not be giving up the prospect of finishing better than Britain until the final event is over.

"Never," he said. "My sense of pride says we can't let them beat us.

"They may well beat us this time but let's use that as the incentive to get the planning right for our high performance (program) and our attack on London in 2012 - our friendly attack."

Coates does concede that Britain has good prospects for more medals in the final week of the Games.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/ma...lympics119.xml
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Aussies are getting worried !

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Too funny.

So is China on top cos they have more gold or USA cos they have most combined medals?
China. Gold trumps silver and bronze.

Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

More Gold for Team GB - this time in the sailing (laser)

http://www.skysports.com/olympics/st...008655,00.html

GB 13 gold
OZ 11 gold
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

meols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud of

Watching C7 News last night (don't ask me why, because it's so crap), they had an article on why we're doing so well. Their conclusion was that it's because we are throwing bucketloads of money at our sportsmen and importing the best coaches. Not an expert but how much did the Australian Institute of Sport cost to set up and run.

I was watching the heats of the Womens' 200 metres earlier, and the British girl finished 3rd in her heat and qualified for the next round. The commentator stated that she's done well because she became a full-time athlete last year. My thought was are the commentators trying to now denegrate our athletes by implying that they are only better because they have an advantage of being full-time by having money thrown at them.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meols12
Watching C7 News last night (don't ask me why, because it's so crap), they had an article on why we're doing so well. Their conclusion was that it's because we are throwing bucketloads of money at our sportsmen and importing the best coaches. Not an expert but how much did the Australian Institute of Sport cost to set up and run.

I was watching the heats of the Womens' 200 metres earlier, and the British girl finished 3rd in her heat and qualified for the next round. The commentator stated that she's done well because she became a full-time athlete last year. My thought was are the commentators trying to now denegrate our athletes by implying that they are only better because they have an advantage of being full-time by having money thrown at them.
Yes Meols they will try every trick in the book to discredit us.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:59 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I have just told my colleague that as much as I love living here, I have never in my life met such a bunch of sore losers.

He told me I should be supporting Australia and each time we win, it is a fix and nothing else.

I said to him that part of being a GOOD SPORTSMAN is accepting that you lose and do it with grace whilst at the same time, having the guts to congratulate the winning team.

I then told him that I suppose the gold medals won by Australia are 'fixes' as well. My god you would have thought I had suggested to kill a kitten or something.

I am not in to sport myself but neither am I in to being constantly told that my country is crap at sports.

Right, off for round 2 - he is sulking in his office and I am now going to wind him up like a clockwork mouse as I have had this piss taking all day.

And you know what? I can give as good as I get and tie anyone in knots who pushes me far enough.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meols12

It just sounds like basic facts to me. Let's face it, it is the truth. The one's winning golds more than likely wouldn't have done if the money hadn't finally got through.

My thought is that you're trying to read too much into what was said
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:00 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Remember the Aussies are the worlds best at giving it.
They can't take it though. Enjoy the moment.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:05 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Remember the Aussies are the worlds best at giving it.
They can't take it though. Enjoy the moment.
You mix with the wrong Aussies.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:20 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

SBS newsreader just said...
"and Great Britain are in 3rd place in the medal table following Australia's medal drought"

sometimes you've just gotta laugh

Lee
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I dont find Aussies sore losers either, they are very quick to congratulate after the event
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:55 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia have actually done well. It is just they are behind a nation that normally only swims doggy paddle when they go over to the med. Who know how we will finish but in was funny asking people at work if they knew who was third in the table.

Bring on the London games because this has suprised everyone here. Before London the serious bagging will start.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to see GB doing well (hate the name Team GB - sounds trite).

Good to see Aussie doing reasonably well as well.

I think if I add up all the medals for the countries for which I have passports then I'm doing better than the yanks

Have you guys seen how much investment UK Sport has put into this Olympics compared to previous ones? Looks like it's paying dividends on the medal table. Let's hope the feel good factor perks everyone up because there's a few sourpusses out there at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.