Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Aussies are getting worried !

Wikiposts

The Aussies are getting worried !

Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Aussies are getting worried !

Agreed. It was nice to see Grant Hackett standing up for the Tunisian guy who beat him, saying the guy had done his time for the drug offence, it was over, history and that he had simply swum better than him on the day, whilst certain sections of the media were gung ho about how the Tunisian shouldn't have been swimming at all.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Agreed. It was nice to see Grant Hackett standing up for the Tunisian guy who beat him, saying the guy had done his time for the drug offence, it was over, history and that he had simply swum better than him on the day, whilst certain sections of the media were gung ho about how the Tunisian shouldn't have been swimming at all.
His dad wasn't so supportive though.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
His dad wasn't so supportive though.
Didn't hear about him. Just Grant and his coach. Parents are supposed to be 100% behind their children Just look at Nick Darcy's Dad
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:32 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I don't think the Australian athletes are sore losers at all, they're always quick to congratulate the winners whoever they are.
Australian athletes are not sore losers at all, it is a few of the 'armchair' aussie athletes that appear to be.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Given the wide spectrum of different types of Aussie you could mix with, why do so many expats choose the sore loser, arrogant bogan types?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Given the wide spectrum of different types of Aussie you could mix with, why do so many expats choose the sore loser, arrogant bogan types?
Because they think it funny and clever and possibly makes them feel superior.

(just my perception. Could be wrong. Someone will tell me if I am )
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

No you are right and it gives me a warm little glow in my belly when I do it
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meols12
Watching C7 News last night (don't ask me why, because it's so crap), they had an article on why we're doing so well. Their conclusion was that it's because we are throwing bucketloads of money at our sportsmen and importing the best coaches. Not an expert but how much did the Australian Institute of Sport cost to set up and run.
They conveniently forget that they threw money at their sports after a disastrous olympic games.

The ozzies also seem to forget that when Cathy Freeman won their gold in the 400 metres in Sydney, that she lived and trained in London. Their cricketers, footballers and rugby players also come to Britain to learn their trade and their equestrian riders also live and train in England or Germany.

Last edited by formula; Aug 19th 2008 at 9:29 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Never one for impartiality eh Moneypen?

Could it be that it's a reaction against the popular media - esp radio over here in Perth - which seems obsessed with Australia's superiority in so many ways (and that all immigrants (esp Muslims) should be eternally grateful that Gods Own Country has allowed them in).....?

Clearly not to you but to many people the obsessiveness of pro-Australia coverage and commentary does get a bit cloying sometimes.

Last edited by NKSK version 2; Aug 19th 2008 at 9:57 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:58 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

...and that all immigrants (esp Muslims) should be eternally grateful that Gods Own Country has allowed them in.
And so they should be grateful. I know I am.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Never one for impartiality eh Moneypen?

Could it be that it's a reaction against the popular media - esp radio over here in Perth - which seems obsessed with Australia's superiority in so many ways (and that all immigrants (esp Muslims) should be eternally grateful that Gods Own Country has allowed them in).....?

Clearly not to you but to many people the obsessiveness of pro-Australia coverage and commentary does get a bit cloying sometimes.
You may be right. I've never heard the Gods Own comment anywhere but on here by disgruntled expats. No one has ever told me how lucky I am to be here, nor have I seen in real life any obsession with so called superiority. To be honest, I'm not aware of it in the media but maybe I listen and watch the wrong channels For this I am extremely grateful Oh and before anyone says it, neither have I had anyone wonder why I chose to live here
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
And so they should be grateful. I know I am.
Bull. (pardon my French (I took the suffix off)). Isn't it a quid pro quo relationship?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Northern Ireland was Gods Own Country?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

No, it's all bow locks. There is no god so there can be no country that belongs to god.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Yet when Shane Warne got caught taking banned substances and Oz should have given him at least a 2 year ban or a lifetime ban, they only gave him a 1 year ban.

I didn't realise just how much sport meant to Oz until my sister went there. She wanted something like a science after school club for her two young children, but all they offered was sport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.