Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Aussies are getting worried !

Wikiposts

The Aussies are getting worried !

Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Aussies are getting worried !

I read an interesting article in The Times entitled

'Higher, Faster, Yes. More meritocratic? No.

The gist of it is that it is a myth that the Olympics are a bastion of meritocracy where success is based upon hard work and talent, not privilege.

For instance at Athens 58 % of winners went to independent schools but only 7 % of the population of GB went to these schools. If sporting talent is spread evenly then the 93 % of the population who attend state schools are chronically under-represented.

When Baron de Coubertin set up the modern Olympics he packed it with 'toff' sports like sailing, equestrianism, rowing that are only available to the rich.

Many countries around the world have average incomes of £309 whereas the fees for Eton are £24,999 pa.

The British Government is now throwing huge sums of money into sports like cycling and so we are beating the Aussies at their own game.

God it feels good.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:25 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Good to see GB doing well (hate the name Team GB - sounds trite).

Good to see Aussie doing reasonably well as well.

I think if I add up all the medals for the countries for which I have passports then I'm doing better than the yanks

Have you guys seen how much investment UK Sport has put into this Olympics compared to previous ones? Looks like it's paying dividends on the medal table. Let's hope the feel good factor perks everyone up because there's a few sourpusses out there at the moment.
I remember all these arguments during the '80s and '90s - sports commentators in the UK would complain that the French or the yanks or the aussies poured oodles of money into sports. Now the playing field has been levelled and the enemy don't like it up 'em.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:50 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Here comes another gold...pendleton 1-0 up in the best of 3 final..and she's beating an Aussie so the're having to show it !!!

rule britannia

Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by busterboy
All news to me. I haven't watched a minute of it so far. Probably because it is an obsession over here.
Same here, i haven't a clue what's going on.

Come on GB, about time we won something
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

I should point out that the Olympics has clashed with the opening of the new Premier League season and no prizes for guessing which is more popular with a sizeable proportion of the population!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:13 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I have just told my colleague that as much as I love living here, I have never in my life met such a bunch of sore losers.

He told me I should be supporting Australia and each time we win, it is a fix and nothing else.

I said to him that part of being a GOOD SPORTSMAN is accepting that you lose and do it with grace whilst at the same time, having the guts to congratulate the winning team.

I then told him that I suppose the gold medals won by Australia are 'fixes' as well. My god you would have thought I had suggested to kill a kitten or something.

I am not in to sport myself but neither am I in to being constantly told that my country is crap at sports.

Right, off for round 2 - he is sulking in his office and I am now going to wind him up like a clockwork mouse as I have had this piss taking all day.

And you know what? I can give as good as I get and tie anyone in knots who pushes me far enough.
Welcome to Australia Sam.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

I remember during the last Commonwealth Games hearing a 'result' on the radio in Sydney. The Aussie won silver so was named but the gold wasn't mentioned.

If there was only one competitor in an event and he/she was an Aussie the commentator would still SHRIEK 'GOLD, GOLD, GOLD! FOR AUSTRALIA!'
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:52 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Welcome to Australia Sam.
What I really don't understand is that all sportsmen (good ones that is) have to accept that they win some and they lose some and part of being a winner so to speak, is to have the ability to congratulate another team if they win.

The biggest losers of all are the ones that cannot accept that they are the best at everything and anyone else that beats them is 'shit' or 'its a fix'.

Anyway, 'round 2' will recommence tomorrow as I havent seen him all afternoon.

As I said, I can tie people in more knots than a tangled G String when it comes to logical thinking so if he wants to keep telling me 'how crap the UK is' then he will find that out for himself.

He demanded to know why I support Team GB when I am living in Australia. I pointed out to him that if he moved to the UK to live, no doubt he would still support Australia. He replied 'That is different'.

I gently tried to ask him why and by the time I had finished explaining to him that it wasn't really different, he buggered off again.

I await tomorrow with excitement - this is better than riding elephants in Thailand, I am having so much fun.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
If there was only one competitor in an event and he/she was an Aussie the commentator would still SHRIEK 'GOLD, GOLD, GOLD! FOR AUSTRALIA!'
So I'm hearing things when I hear commentators getting excited about top sportsmen and women of other nations breaking records and doing really well?

Presumably I'm also seeing and hearing things when I see different counties standing on the gold podium singing to their national anthems whilst their flags were going up with not an Aussie one in sight? Maybe I'm watching a parallel games.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
Fantastic run from Team GB so far

Keep an eye on Nick Dempsey in the mens windsurfing. He started windsurfing at my local lake, when he was 7. Currently in silver medal position.

Go Nick!

Also, Bryony Shaw in the womens windsurfing, currently 4th. Come on girl...you can do it.

Roll on Weymouth 2012
06:45 - Bryony Shaw finishes the medal race in second to secure herself a bronze medal, the first British women's windsurfing medal ever
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

OMG Never known an Olympiad like this one.I cannot beleive we are overall
3rd place behind the two countries who sent the most athletes to compete!
Go Team GB.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:12 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the Australian athletes are sore losers at all, they're always quick to congratulate the winners whoever they are.
Just a small proportion of Aussies are sore losers just like the U.K it those vocal few we hear, the problem is everyone hears & remembers a negative comment or jibe while the praise & favorable comments are forgotten in an instance
I think both teams have done exceptionally well so far
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that the current chip is about Great Britain comprising of at least 3 countries - even The Australian has a dig about it today.

I think the argument that the UK is 3 times the size of Australia (and so should have 3 times the medals) is fair but, with regards to the above, what the Aussies fail to realise is that Wales, Scotland and England (much as I'd wish this to be different) are about as distinct from the UK as WA, Vic, NSW etc are from Australia. In fact there's probably an argument that the states in Australia are more autnomous and independent than the countries which make up the UK.

Never seem to hear that side of things though....
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I notice that the current chip is about Great Britain comprising of at least 3 countries - even The Australian has a dig about it today.

I think the argument that the UK is 3 times the size of Australia (and so should have 3 times the medals) is fair but, with regards to the above, what the Aussies fail to realise is that Wales, Scotland and England (much as I'd wish this to be different) are about as distinct from the UK as WA, Vic, NSW etc are from Australia. In fact there's probably an argument that the states in Australia are more autnomous and independent than the countries which make up the UK.

Never seem to hear that side of things though....

Yes I was told today that "GB are way behind Australia in medals per capita". I said "I don't care, in fact I hate the olympics and sport full stop but the fact that we are third is brilliant" I then proceeded to sing "rule brittania".

Thankfully they are all good sports in that office
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:31 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I don't think the Australian athletes are sore losers at all, they're always quick to congratulate the winners whoever they are.
Just a small proportion of Aussies are sore losers just like the U.K it those vocal few we hear, the problem is everyone hears & remembers a negative comment or jibe while the praise & favorable comments are forgotten in an instance
I think both teams have done exceptionally well so far
I agree, whilst the types of Australians constantly slated in threads like this do exist, just like they do in the UK but they are a minority. When I see Australian Olympic athletes I see amazing young role models for my kids, not "sore losers". Look how they dealt with that arsehole Nick Darcy who got into a fight and would probably won a medal - they threw him off the team so fast his head was spinning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.