Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie ripoffs. Bah!

Aussie ripoffs. Bah!

Old May 9th 2013, 1:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie ripoffs. Bah!

Originally Posted by renth
Ah yes, the free market, love it! just don't tell Gerry Harvey, he might have a stroke!

...on the other hand, tell Gerry Harvey.
I'm done with Aussie retail unless I have no other choice. Many others are doing the same too. Retail will get the message - or go out of business.
Old May 9th 2013, 2:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm done with Aussie retail unless I have no other choice. Many others are doing the same too. Retail will get the message - or go out of business.
That's "un-Australian"
Old May 9th 2013, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

That's "un-Australian"
(Not true. Lots of Aussies do it).

I see that Myus is charging silly money to send a package in days with Fedex.
My son can wait.

I just want something in a little parcel shipped airmail. I need to jump on the 'merican post site.
Old May 9th 2013, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
(Not true. Lots of Aussies do it).

I see that Myus is charging silly money to send a package in days with Fedex.
My son can wait.

I just want something in a little parcel shipped airmail. I need to jump on the 'merican post site.
'Merican post is a bit cheaper perhaps but they have a limited range of boxes.
The lego box is an akward size. I could get my rello to empty the contents of the box into one but they the boy misses out on the cool box.

I hate 'merican post!

Perhaps the boy should be happy with a stick and a lump of coal.
Old May 9th 2013, 2:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
'Merican post is a bit cheaper perhaps but they have a limited range of boxes.
The lego box is an akward size. I could get my rello to empty the contents of the box into one but they the boy misses out on the cool box.

I hate 'merican post!

Perhaps the boy should be happy with a stick and a lump of coal.
Check out Amazon Germany, Spain, Italy (Google Chrome translates for you). They usually have good prices on Lego, deduct the VAT and have good shipping rates.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:57 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Amazon Germany, Spain, Italy (Google Chrome translates for you). They usually have good prices on Lego, deduct the VAT and have good shipping rates.

Lego are notorious for geographical price discrimination, but Amazon.de does help to ease this pain, as they don't have the same silly shipping restrictions that .uk have.

It's not quite a global marketplace, but we're on the way.

Personally, I think there's money to be made out of facilitating overseas shopping for Aussies - Not sure how, but there has to be a way.

S
Old May 9th 2013, 3:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

They are awesome. USD60-odd to ship a heavy Yamaha AV Receiver that cost less than half the Aussie price. It took 10 days to get here.

Such a shame Richer sounds won't sell here...

S
Old May 9th 2013, 4:07 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Personally, I think there's money to be made out of facilitating overseas shopping for Aussies - Not sure how, but there has to be a way.

S
They are so far behind with the internet though, it's untrue. Many websites here look like the ones you saw in the UK in about 1998. They are getting better, slowly, but they just don't use the internet the way British people do. It's like they don't even think of using it.
Old May 9th 2013, 5:25 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Zen10
They are so far behind with the internet though, it's untrue. Many websites here look like the ones you saw in the UK in about 1998. They are getting better, slowly, but they just don't use the internet the way British people do. It's like they don't even think of using it.

I guess the British had a long history of catalogue shopping you know, Kays, John Moores etc, so it was probably a fairly small leap to move to that catalogue being based on a screen rather than a hulking great book.

The Aussies, however, pretty much had 'Go to the shops' as their only retail method. So it comes as little surprise to me that their attempts are shit.

But some stores you really have to wonder at - particularly big international names like K-Mart. Their online offering is one step from criminal.

Sadly this isn't a joke...

S
Old May 9th 2013, 5:44 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the British had a long history of catalogue shopping you know, Kays, John Moores etc, so it was probably a fairly small leap to move to that catalogue being based on a screen rather than a hulking great book.

The Aussies, however, pretty much had 'Go to the shops' as their only retail method. So it comes as little surprise to me that their attempts are shit.

But some stores you really have to wonder at - particularly big international names like K-Mart. Their online offering is one step from criminal.

S
When we came here, only 5 years ago, most of the sites I visited were like that. Or, if you did find one where you could actually ORDER AN ITEM ONLINE (how surreal an idea!) they didn't have secure payment so they rang you up for your card details or you sent them a cheque (or direct deposit)

Fortunately the situation is much, much better these days.

I hadn't considered how easy it was for Brits to move from catalogue sales to online and it's a fair point
Old May 9th 2013, 5:50 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Dreamy
When we came here, only 5 years ago, most of the sites I visited were like that. Or, if you did find one where you could actually ORDER AN ITEM ONLINE (how surreal an idea!) they didn't have secure payment so they rang you up for your card details or you sent them a cheque (or direct deposit)

Fortunately the situation is much, much better these days.

I hadn't considered how easy it was for Brits to move from catalogue sales to online and it's a fair point

I used to love the new catalogue coming through when I was a kid - Full of shiny new stuff, from car covers to video recorders. Like Argos, only without all the queuing...

S
Old May 9th 2013, 5:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I used to love the new catalogue coming through when I was a kid - Full of shiny new stuff, from car covers to video recorders. Like Argos, only without all the queuing...
S
Come on dude, it was the ladies underwear section that you looked forward to the most!
Old May 9th 2013, 5:57 am
has lost The Game

Come on dude, it was the ladies underwear section that you looked forward to the most!

Without question! That and the gardening section...

S
Old May 9th 2013, 6:04 am
(It's not my real name)

Without question! That and the gardening section...

S
Old May 9th 2013, 9:37 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

S
This makes the point perfectly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.