Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie Mobile Phone Advice

Aussie Mobile Phone Advice

Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

steve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the rough
Default Aussie Mobile Phone Advice

Can anyone give any advice on mobile phones and contracts in Oz?

I've heard it may be cheaper to buy a phone in the UK and then get a contract in Oz as they dont give you 'free' phones with contacts over there.

Thanks

Last edited by steve_uk; Mar 13th 2008 at 11:35 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:05 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Mobile Phone Advice

Originally Posted by steve_uk
Can anyone give any advice on mobile phones and contracts in Oz?

I've heard it may be cheaper to buy a phone in the UK and then get a contract in Oz as they dont give you 'free' phones with contacts over there.

Thanks
If you want the latest model then you pay for it. Either in terms of the contract length and minimum monthly bundled fee or upfront cost. So probably better to just own something outright, unlocked from ebay or something.

You can then of course just use a prepay sim (no contract length) or go on a contract.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you can get something unlocked and dont mind the branding which is a pain to remove. If you bring a UK phone you will also need to get the settings from your Aus provider.

Probably swings and roundabouts really - I am looking at a SE k850i and I can buy one for about $600 on ebay or I can pay $10 per month for 24 months and get the same thing. Not that expensive really.

You can get some free phones with contracts btw, it is just that they aren't top of the range Blackberrys - more like just slightly out of date models about to be superseded by the next model. They are usually on special.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

steve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys , thats 1 unlocked mobile purchased off ebay. Here's hoping it arrives, I always get nervous buying phones on ebay
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

dainty will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys , thats 1 unlocked mobile purchased off ebay. Here's hoping it arrives, I always get nervous buying phones on ebay
I would be too, especially if the rightful owner of the phone notices it

Disclaimer - while not all mobile phones on sale from e-bay are stolen, I have no doubts alarge amount probably are
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:44 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dainty
I would be too, especially if the rightful owner of the phone notices it

Disclaimer - while not all mobile phones on sale from e-bay are stolen, I have no doubts alarge amount probably are
there are places you can go to to get phones unlocked. there's loads of them here.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:41 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

A bit of blatant advertising, but quite relevant. I am selling a mobile for my OH on eBay at the moment if anyone is interested?

Sony Ericsson W580i

Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

^^ Good phone, just sold mine on ebay. Went for £80 which wasn't bad.

I've been looking at Aus mobile phone plans, why oh why are they 24 months long? I though the 18 month contracts the UK have introduced were bad.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:50 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

pmsl @ colour : Boulevard Black !!!

Ste
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
^^ Good phone, just sold mine on ebay. Went for £80 which wasn't bad.

I've been looking at Aus mobile phone plans, why oh why are they 24 months long? I though the 18 month contracts the UK have introduced were bad.
Cos that's how long the batteries last! Do you notice that the battery life is almost zero when you get to the end of the contract. Some companies will give you a few months grace so you can renew your contract after about 20 months (as long as it is with them) without penalty.

When you get your unlocked phone from ebay, ring your Aus provider and ask them to email their web/email settings for your model. They send them via sms and that way you dont have to faff around inputting all the info.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:27 am
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
pmsl @ colour : Boulevard Black !!!

Ste
Thought you'd notice mate. That's what I get for lifting the copy from another auction...
Old Mar 15th 2008, 6:53 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aus2be_OH
Thought you'd notice mate. That's what I get for lifting the copy from another auction...
Priceless.

Reminds me of those old chestnuts:

very rare ( surely rare is rare ! )
Antique Hi-Fi cabinet ( did they have hi fi's in "antique" times lol )

Ste
Old Mar 15th 2008, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

lol the phone i bought on ebay turned out to be a scam - i thought it was too true to be good!:curse:

Never mind though as got another one which is just as good (with sat nav so i dont get lost in Oz) and this seller looks a better bet!

Fingers crossed!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 7:14 pm
Banned

lol the phone i bought on ebay turned out to be a scam - i thought it was too true to be good!:curse:

Never mind though as got another one which is just as good (with sat nav so i dont get lost in Oz) and this seller looks a better bet!

Fingers crossed!
Thing Ive found with ebay, and specifically PayPal.

Those that accept PayPal are the best, as Paypal, will shut their account down immediately, if any sniff of fraudulent or misrepresentation takes place, and or is reported. Plus you get nrly all your money back.

Ste
Old Mar 15th 2008, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Thing Ive found with ebay, and specifically PayPal.

Those that accept PayPal are the best, as Paypal, will shut their account down immediately, if any sniff of fraudulent or misrepresentation takes place, and or is reported. Plus you get nrly all your money back.

Ste
Yep I agree, this one said Paypal accepted but when I tried to pay it stayed at pending. When I looked into it the guy didnt have a paypall account and a made up email address. I have reported him, hope they sorted it. I suspect the account was hacked as had 146 100% positive feedback.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.