Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie flies (warning: Icky insect pics)

Aussie flies (warning: Icky insect pics)

Old Nov 6th 2011, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aussie flies (warning: Icky insect pics)

Not another whingeing one, but this is pretty revolting. Had some larviparous flies in the house for afew days, they get this name because they give birth to live maggots when you squish em. Farkin yuck, they even do it if you spray em, so if you get some be sure to clean up the wrigglers too barf barf

Also found this beauty by the pool yesterday, just wish the camera was at hand to capture the lot. To give you an idea of scale, the wasp was a touch under 2" long. He's now my friend cos he got rid of a big spider for me They lay their eggs inside the spider (still alive) and the larvae eats it from the inside out. Catch this though, the larvae will not eat any major organs until the last knockings so as to keep the spider alive and fresh for as long as possibe. Nature, can't beat it

Attached Thumbnails Aussie flies (warning:  Icky insect pics)-100_1643.jpg   Aussie flies (warning:  Icky insect pics)-100_1647.jpg  

Last edited by stevenglish; Nov 6th 2011 at 8:24 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 8:31 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie flies

Originally Posted by stevenglish
Not another whingeing one, but this is pretty revolting. Had some larviparous flies in the house for afew days, they get this name because they give birth to live maggots when you squish em. Farkin yuck, they even do it if you spray em, so if you get some be sure to clean up the wrigglers too barf barf

Also found this beauty by the pool yesterday, just wish the camera was at hand to capture the lot. To give you an idea of scale, the wasp was a touch under 2" long. He's now my friend cos he got rid of a big spider for me They lay their eggs inside the spider (still alive) and the larvae eats it from the inside out. Catch this though, the larvae will not eat any major organs until the last knockings so as to keep the spider alive and fresh for as long as possibe. Nature, can't beat it

That's really set me up nicely for breakfast! This is where Pantheism falls down.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Nov 6th 2011 at 8:37 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
That's really set me up nicely for breakfast! This is where Pantheism falls down.
Sorry about that
Old Nov 6th 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Right, won't bother with brek. Glad winter's come here.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reminder to get some fly-screens arranged before they descend on us...
Old Nov 7th 2011, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't fully understand what is going on in that picture and I think I am glad about that.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:24 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie flies (warning: Icky insect pics)

Effing yuck does not even begin to describe it.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

My breakfast is now threatening to reemerge...........BARF
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

The flies seem to be gone now since we've learnt to take care of the maggots too, still revolting though

I was totally mesmerized by the wasp though, I remember seeing something on a much smaller scale in the UK once.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:33 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevenglish
The flies seem to be gone now since we've learnt to take care of the maggots too, still revolting though

I was totally mesmerized by the wasp though, I remember seeing something on a much smaller scale in the UK once.
Awesome shots. Feeling a little sorry for the Huntsman tho.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:52 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

There are alot of insects that invade the host and use it as a 'womb' - protecting and feeding it until the babies leave. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a 'docco' with insects invading people's brains/eyes etc in wilder/less advanced places.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:09 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

There are alot of insects that invade the host and use it as a 'womb' - protecting and feeding it until the babies leave. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a 'docco' with insects invading people's brains/eyes etc in wilder/less advanced places.
Whereabouts is wilder/less advanced than Cairns?? Ahhh of course Darwin
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by cresta57
Whereabouts is wilder/less advanced than Cairns?? Ahhh of course Darwin
Africa, man
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:31 am
Account Closed

Africa, man
is that an impatient, slightly angry Africa man, or a spliffed out laid back Africa man?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:27 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Africa, man
Screw-worms are one of the most gruesome. They live in South America. The fly crawls up your nose and lays an egg up there. The egg hatches and grows into a huge two inch maggot with big jaws that eats away your nasal cavity and sometimes kills you by eating its way into your brain.

They bred millions of sterile ones to eradicate an accidental introduction of them in Libya several years ago. This involved raising the maggots in big sheds full of trays of fresh blood for them to feast on.

Lovely...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.