British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Aus cost of living. Still getting worse ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/aus-cost-living-still-getting-worse-733815/)

flanagaj Sep 27th 2011 3:37 pm

Aus cost of living. Still getting worse ?

Hello forumites. Long time since I posted on here.

Just wondered whether the cost of living issues are getting worse in Aus ?

Visa will have already been issued for 2 years come April 2012 and we are still here in the UK.

Concious of another miserable UK winter and Perth's great sunny weather, makes me very wistful about getting ourselves over their.

Perthbum Sep 27th 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Aus cost of living. Still getting worse ?

The cost of a pint or schooner (less than a pint) is horrific :frown: I ended up drinking at home as I just could not afford to go boozin more than once a week :eek: mind you I never found a decent pint of real ale while I was over there so I was not overly bothered.
Meat is cheap but chicken has gone bananas.

Bananas are very expensive, but if you use the local markets you can reduce your costs.

flanagaj Sep 27th 2011 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Perthbum (Post 9644529)
The cost of a pint or schooner (less than a pint) is horrific :frown: I ended up drinking at home as I just could not afford to go boozin more than once a week :eek: mind you I never found a decent pint of real ale while I was over there so I was not overly bothered.
Meat is cheap but chicken has gone bananas.

Bananas are very expensive, but if you use the local markets you can reduce your costs.

Ouch. I now remember going to the bottle shop and how expensive booze was :-(

Bermudashorts Sep 27th 2011 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by flanagaj (Post 9644498)

Visa will have already been issued for 2 years come April 2012 and we are still here in the UK.

Concious of another miserable UK winter and Perth's great sunny weather, makes me very wistful about getting ourselves over their.

If you want to live in Australia then you will need to accept things, like prices and stop comparing to UK. Salaries generally reflect cost of living wherever you are in the world.

Loch Lomond Sep 27th 2011 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 9645081)
If you want to live in Australia then you will need to accept things, like prices and stop comparing to UK. Salaries generally reflect cost of living wherever you are in the world.

Yes new immigrants shouldn't think back on the prices they had in the UK....Sainsbury has a deal just now 2 x 1 Litre Russian Standard Vodka for £24, limit of 4 bottles per customer.
That's got to be bad for your liver.

Wendy Sep 27th 2011 9:40 pm

Banana's will be back to a normal price in the next week or so. So it's safe to move now ;)

DeadVim Sep 27th 2011 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 9645081)

Amen to that.

Just live life, apart from the 'big ticket' items life is too short to be wondering if stuff is cheaper elsewhere.

People spend their time waiting for the 'right moment' only to have life slide by in the meantime.

Might as well put on the gravestone 'At least he didn't give it a go because of the relative price of a house'. What a pathetic epitaph to have.

Amazulu Sep 27th 2011 11:44 pm

For me overall COL is roughly similar, with Australia slightly more expensive.

Pollyana Sep 27th 2011 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 9645145)
Banana's will be back to a normal price in the next week or so. So it's safe to move now ;)

And the cyclone season starts again November 1st..... :eek:

Dorothy Sep 28th 2011 12:02 am

Perth's great sunny weather? We've had the wettest September in over 10 years and it was 5° last night at our house. Absolutely glorious! http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDW60...01.94608.shtml

Family of 3 Sep 28th 2011 12:58 am

I reckon it was one of the coldest nights of the year last night - I had to put me (sic) socks on in bed!

But it was nice enough for the beach at the weekend though.:D

Amazulu Sep 28th 2011 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Family of 3 (Post 9645349)
I reckon it was one of the coldest nights of the year last night - I had to put me (sic) socks on in bed!

I agree. We had the wood burner going full blast last night. It was very cold this morning.

Dorothy Sep 28th 2011 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Family of 3 (Post 9645349)

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9645369)
I agree. We had the wood burner going full blast last night. It was very cold this morning.

'Twas so freakin cold I was almost tempted to snuggle up to the old man. Almost.

fish.01 Sep 28th 2011 3:11 am

Like everywhere around the world it seems, utility prices keep rises but I think they have been more than offset by the drop in house prices over the last 12 months in many places if you are buying. Not sure about renting.

Wendy Sep 28th 2011 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9645291)
And the cyclone season starts again November 1st..... :eek:

Ah, but we won't have to worry about the prices for a while yet. We will all have to buy extra and freeze them :D

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 9645412)
'Twas so freakin cold I was almost tempted to snuggle up to the old man. Almost.

:ohmy: That cold!! :eek: