Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aus cost of living. Still getting worse ?

Aus cost of living. Still getting worse ?

Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

flanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to all
Default Aus cost of living. Still getting worse ?

Hello forumites. Long time since I posted on here.

Just wondered whether the cost of living issues are getting worse in Aus ?

Visa will have already been issued for 2 years come April 2012 and we are still here in the UK.

Concious of another miserable UK winter and Perth's great sunny weather, makes me very wistful about getting ourselves over their.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:51 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all
Default Re: Aus cost of living. Still getting worse ?

The cost of a pint or schooner (less than a pint) is horrific I ended up drinking at home as I just could not afford to go boozin more than once a week mind you I never found a decent pint of real ale while I was over there so I was not overly bothered.
Meat is cheap but chicken has gone bananas.

Bananas are very expensive, but if you use the local markets you can reduce your costs.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

flanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Perthbum
The cost of a pint or schooner (less than a pint) is horrific I ended up drinking at home as I just could not afford to go boozin more than once a week mind you I never found a decent pint of real ale while I was over there so I was not overly bothered.
Meat is cheap but chicken has gone bananas.

Bananas are very expensive, but if you use the local markets you can reduce your costs.
Ouch. I now remember going to the bottle shop and how expensive booze was :-(
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flanagaj

Visa will have already been issued for 2 years come April 2012 and we are still here in the UK.

Concious of another miserable UK winter and Perth's great sunny weather, makes me very wistful about getting ourselves over their.
If you want to live in Australia then you will need to accept things, like prices and stop comparing to UK. Salaries generally reflect cost of living wherever you are in the world.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If you want to live in Australia then you will need to accept things, like prices and stop comparing to UK. Salaries generally reflect cost of living wherever you are in the world.
Yes new immigrants shouldn't think back on the prices they had in the UK....Sainsbury has a deal just now 2 x 1 Litre Russian Standard Vodka for £24, limit of 4 bottles per customer.
That's got to be bad for your liver.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Banana's will be back to a normal price in the next week or so. So it's safe to move now
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:29 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Amen to that.

Just live life, apart from the 'big ticket' items life is too short to be wondering if stuff is cheaper elsewhere.

People spend their time waiting for the 'right moment' only to have life slide by in the meantime.

Might as well put on the gravestone 'At least he didn't give it a go because of the relative price of a house'. What a pathetic epitaph to have.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

For me overall COL is roughly similar, with Australia slightly more expensive.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Banana's will be back to a normal price in the next week or so. So it's safe to move now
And the cyclone season starts again November 1st.....
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Perth's great sunny weather? We've had the wettest September in over 10 years and it was 5° last night at our house. Absolutely glorious! http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDW60...01.94608.shtml
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon it was one of the coldest nights of the year last night - I had to put me (sic) socks on in bed!

But it was nice enough for the beach at the weekend though.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
I reckon it was one of the coldest nights of the year last night - I had to put me (sic) socks on in bed!

I agree. We had the wood burner going full blast last night. It was very cold this morning.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree. We had the wood burner going full blast last night. It was very cold this morning.
'Twas so freakin cold I was almost tempted to snuggle up to the old man. Almost.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Like everywhere around the world it seems, utility prices keep rises but I think they have been more than offset by the drop in house prices over the last 12 months in many places if you are buying. Not sure about renting.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And the cyclone season starts again November 1st.....
Ah, but we won't have to worry about the prices for a while yet. We will all have to buy extra and freeze them

Originally Posted by Dorothy
'Twas so freakin cold I was almost tempted to snuggle up to the old man. Almost.
That cold!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.