Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

ANZAC Day - Dress Code

ANZAC Day - Dress Code

Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ANZAC Day - Dress Code

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
And I am still thinking about it. By midweek your average person will be fretting about the number of adverts in Season 2 of their favorite programme or the fact that they can't a particular flavour yoghurt...

It is only 70 odd years since the German and Red armies plundered and pillaged...the civilian human tragedies....
Self preservation. 'Average' people need to get on with their normal mundane lives because thinking about the heavy shit will up the suicide rate by several million percent. However 'average' people have also generally suffered great personal loss and spend a lot of time thinking about that. I know you don't mean to sound like a patronising prick but the way I read it, you are. In that post anyway.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:52 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

It is only 70 odd years since the German and Red armies plundered and pillaged...the civilian human tragedies....
Which is one of the longest ever periods with no major wars, and it certainly cannot last forever. But for how much longer?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Self preservation. 'Average' people need to get on with their normal mundane lives because thinking about the heavy shit will up the suicide rate by several million percent. However 'average' people have also generally suffered great personal loss and spend a lot of time thinking about that. I know you don't mean to sound like a patronising prick but the way I read it, you are. In that post anyway.
No I don't mean to, and I think the general population have never had it so good in some ways.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:50 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I agree.

People moan about the small things because (generally) they're the things that they can do something about, things that give them the illusion that they can control some aspect of their lives, because if they focus on the helplessness that the terrible, personal tragedy has foisted on them, they'd go mad.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Which is one of the longest ever periods with no major wars, and it certainly cannot last forever. But for how much longer?
No idea. In the West, the idea of a civilian population touched by war directly is almost unfathomable now. (Obviously I am not talking about the relatives of those on ops).

Perhaps terroism has filled the void - but it's still not immersion in the way the civilian population in the West endured.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I agree.

People moan about the small things because (generally) they're the things that they can do something about, things that give them the illusion that they can control some aspect of their lives, because if they focus on the helplessness that the terrible, personal tragedy has foisted on them, they'd go mad.
I suppose it's just that the 'small' things seem to be getting smaller!
Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:05 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea. In the West, the idea of a civilian population touched by war directly is almost unfathomable now. (Obviously I am not talking about the relatives of those on ops).

Perhaps terroism has filled the void - but it's still not immersion in the way the civilian population in the West endured.
The next serious conflict will come as a big shock to Westerners, but I actually believe we will rise to the challenge. We always do.
Old May 2nd 2013, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

This year was my first ANZAC's parade and it was very bitter sweet for me. My middle son marched for the first time with the army cadets. He wished his dad could have been there but unfortunately he is still on deployment.
I noticed despite the heat and it was hot in Darwin from 9am onwards all the people in the parade were dressed smartly by Darwin standards. I wore a smart summer dress as did many women who were watching the parade.
Many men had shorts and shirts.
Mandy
Old May 5th 2013, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
The next serious conflict will come as a big shock to Westerners, but I actually believe we will rise to the challenge. We always do.
It will certainly come as a shock to the Australian public. Since Korea Australian forces have only been deployed to theaters after the government has ensured they are mainly out of harms way. Gulf war, Afghanistan and Iraq. The hard yards have been done by the Americans with some help by the Brits. This is in stark contrast to two World Wars where aussie troops were in the thick of it ie Gallipoli, Western Front, Torbruck etc.

Lets hope we never see such conflict again but history would suggest otherwise.
Old May 5th 2013, 10:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by papilon
It will certainly come as a shock to the Australian public. Since Korea Australian forces have only been deployed to theaters after the government has ensured they are mainly out of harms way. Gulf war, Afghanistan and Iraq. The hard yards have been done by the Americans with some help by the Brits. This is in stark contrast to two World Wars where aussie troops were in the thick of it ie Gallipoli, Western Front, Torbruck etc.

I agree with your assessment of the future. The only thing different now is the presence of nukes, which some theorists argue basically stop war between countries that have them. So far, so good...
Old May 5th 2013, 10:26 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Vietnam?
Old May 5th 2013, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Vietnam?
Vietnam was the beginning of the end of troops being sent to the pointy end.
Old May 5th 2013, 10:39 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Vietnam was the beginning of the end of troops being sent to the pointy end.
But still there which your post seemed to ignore?
Old May 5th 2013, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
But still there which your post seemed to ignore?
My bad.
Old May 5th 2013, 11:54 am
Shiny Arse Know All

My bad.
My pedantic edge has been satisfied