Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone lodged their tax return, and due a rebate from Medicare?

Anyone lodged their tax return, and due a rebate from Medicare?

Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone lodged their tax return, and due a rebate from Medicare?

we are - over $1500 out of pocket expenses for the year so can claim 20% on the difference.

But whilst this was evident on the correlating E-Tax page, the final Tax Estimate page didn't mention it. The estimated refund is merely from the income tax withheld.

More confused than ever now.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone lodged their tax return, and due a rebate from Medicare?

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy
we are - over $1500 out of pocket expenses for the year so can claim 20% on the difference.

But whilst this was evident on the correlating E-Tax page, the final Tax Estimate page didn't mention it. The estimated refund is merely from the income tax withheld.

More confused than ever now.
Are you talking about the final Tax estimate on e-tax? Did it show tax offsets?

Or are you talking about the thing you get from the ATO?

I claimed the medicare thing about 2 years ago and etax included it okay.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jul 19th 2009 at 10:37 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Are you talking about the final Tax estimate on e-tax? Did it show tax offsets?

Or are you talking about the thing you get from the ATO?

I claimed the medicare thing about 2 years ago and etax included it okay.

Tax estimate on E-Tax. Not mentioned in the Tax Offset, but flashed up on the actual Medicare screen with the prefill that we're due $774.00.

Might give them a ring. (thanks for replying)
Old Jul 20th 2009, 4:49 am
ABCDiamond

Tax estimate on E-Tax. Not mentioned in the Tax Offset, but flashed up on the actual Medicare screen with the prefill that we're due $774.00.

It should appear in the "Tax Offsets used" section, 3rd or 4th line from the bottom of the full tax estimate. Click on the blue bit, then about line 7 or 8 in the next page will show the Medical expenses rebated.

Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

To get a rebate from medicare at 20% for the amount you are saying, you would have had to have been out of pocket for about $15000. Did you spend this much in the year.

Jo
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by joho
To get a rebate from medicare at 20% for the amount you are saying, you would have had to have been out of pocket for about $15000. Did you spend this much in the year.

Jo
$1500 Jo, not $15000.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It should appear in the "Tax Offsets used" section, 3rd or 4th line from the bottom of the full tax estimate. Click on the blue bit, then about line 7 or 8 in the next page will show the Medical expenses rebated.
Ahh, that's more like it - thanks.

Thing that was throwing me, is that the estimated refund on E-Tax came out as that stated on my PAYG summary of Total Tax Withheld.

The page you mention, which shows the Medicare refund totals more than this i.e. Total Tax Offset. Surely this is a more accurate figure?
Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Ahh, that's more like it - thanks.

Thing that was throwing me, is that the estimated refund on E-Tax came out as that stated on my PAYG summary of Total Tax Withheld.

The page you mention, which shows the Medicare refund totals more than this i.e. Total Tax Offset. Surely this is a more accurate figure?
What you have said confuses me... however, it is early morning, so it may be me... not you

Your total rebate would be higher than just the Total Tax Offset figure, unless there is tax to pay on the income side.
Without seeing it, I am not able to be sure what is happening, but it 'sounds' confusing.

But, to get a $774 tax offset/rebate on medical expenses, you would have to spend $5,370 on eligible net medical expenses.

Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

$1500 Jo, not $15000.
No i didnt mean the 1500 threshold I meant out of pocket and ABC is right my maths head wasnt on. the rebate is 20% back on anything over the 1500 so if you spent in total 6500 dollars then take off the 1500 leaves you 5000, 20% of that would be $500. Shit my maths was off.

Jo
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:44 am
Account Closed

No i didnt mean the 1500 threshold I meant out of pocket and ABC is right my maths head wasnt on. the rebate is 20% back on anything over the 1500 so if you spent in total 6500 dollars then take off the 1500 leaves you 5000, 20% of that would be $500. Shit my maths was off.

Jo
I'm saying nothing
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:58 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I'm saying nothing
Joho would you like to work as an accountant

PS 20% of $5000 = $1000
(10% = $500)
Old Jul 21st 2009, 8:18 am
ABCDiamond

Shit my maths was off.

Jo
Many years ago I was doing a set of accounts for a company, for a $6 million loan, and I made a small error in the balance sheet... one side was $400,000 higher than the other, and they should have been the same..

I didn't notice my error, and sent the accounts to the lender.... they did notice

Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Joho would you like to work as an accountant

PS 20% of $5000 = $1000
(10% = $500)
Oh I hate posts like that. I don't know if the PS was aimed at me* or Joho?

* so bold
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:22 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I hate posts like that. I don't know if the PS was aimed at me* or Joho?

* so bold
The "accountant" was a pisstake the figures was me just trying to be helpful.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm saying nothing
LOL its my lesions is there an embarassed icon.

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.