Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone know where I can locate a jar of marmite?

Anyone know where I can locate a jar of marmite?

Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:49 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know where I can locate a jar of marmite?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
So what's wrong with the Marmite by Sanitarium that I see in every Woolies over here?
Try it, then you'll know what's wrong with it.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:41 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

So what's wrong with the Marmite by Sanitarium that I see in every Woolies over here?
It has a taste "all of its own"... in otherwords, not what I want to spread on my toast in the morning!

Em x
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:40 am
Just Joined

scottishlass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emelems
It has a taste "all of its own"... in otherwords, not what I want to spread on my toast in the morning!

Em x
So true...it's somewhere in between the two, what were they thinking???
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:08 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Hi we by ourmate from Aldi's my son has been here nearly 3 years (since he was 2) he tried vegemite when we got here and didn't like it a friend gave him marmite after a recent visit back to UK and he loved it so hence buying Ourmate from aldis
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, there is a shop on the Nicklin Highway, Kawana, Sunny Coast, just near The Good Guys that sells marmite and Bisto granules, and please keep this a secret, gammon steaks!!!! and various other goodies, eg penguin biscuits. Sorry I can't remember the name of the shop, but it sells lots of Sarah Lee items as well.
The fudge kitchen in Caloundra also sells marmite and bisto (but a bit more expensive) and also pretty good lincolnshire sousages.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Originally Posted by emelems
Apart from back in the UK?! LOL!

People who get narky over issues like this need not reply!

I'd love to purchase a nice jar ! I managed to find one in the IGA in Hervey Bay but alas havent seen any since.. (am checking all Coles Woolies and suchlike)...

Am on the gold coast at the moment (Surfers to be precise) and then going back to Byron bay next week for a while, then up to Noosa...

Peerritty Perlease?!

Em x
Hi try www.highlandflingproducts.com they are at the end of logan motoway nr ikea, try the sausages just like going into a shop in uk. They have marmite GARY
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

The amusing thing about this is that kiwis think they invented Marmite, the Aussies probably think they invented it and now it seems the Brits think they invented it. The Sanitarium product we buy in NZ is made in NZ. I wonder if it tastes different to the Australian Sanitarium version. Personally I quite like Vegemite but the kids aren't keen.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwinow
The amusing thing about this is that kiwis think they invented Marmite, the Aussies probably think they invented it and now it seems the Brits think they invented it. The Sanitarium product we buy in NZ is made in NZ. I wonder if it tastes different to the Australian Sanitarium version. Personally I quite like Vegemite but the kids aren't keen.
The Brits did invent Marmite.
http://www.marmite.co.uk/love/histor...f-marmite.html

Finding out that you could eat yeast extract is a different matter and does predate Marmite.... but Marmite is a brand name and was 'invented' near Stoke.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I just have and the Black Gold has just been put into a "Safe House"

John
Success.

With the help of an 'insider', I have managed to locate and secure a jar of the 'Black Gold' from my brother.

Yes

Barney
Old Oct 18th 2008, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Finding out that you could eat yeast extract is a different matter and does predate Marmite.... but Marmite is a brand name and was 'invented' near Stoke.

Yep, and for anyone who's interested here's the Vegemite story : http://www.vegemite.com.au/vegemite/...0&PagecRef=670

Apparently it took them quite a while to replace Marmite in the Aussie market.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

....Burton on Trent to be precise.....used all the local breweries for their source of yeast. Still made there today too, even tho most of the breweries have gone.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 7:48 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

marmite is spread very very thinly on your toast whereas vegemite is less salty so it's spread more abundantly.

I have heard a couple of jokes surrounding both products, the first was Billy Connelly whilst in Australia said he loves vegemite and was in a hotel room in Sydney one time and had a loaf of bread and jar of vegemite. He had an accident and an open sandwich made its way onto the nice clean white sheets of his bed just as room service was knocking on the door. Distraught, he attempted to wipe the vegemite from the sheet as the room attendant looked on as if disgusted that he had shit on the bed.

The other was a story of a kid (probably related to the boy in the book Kez), who saw all the white undies of his neighbour's, sneaked over the wall and smeared marmite on the crotch of all the undies.

Nice touch I reckon.............
Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:08 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

can't believe 40 odd posts about marmite. nasty muck
Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:59 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
can't believe 40 odd posts about marmite. nasty muck
What about Bovril.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:11 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

What about Bovril.
i bought marmite from coles last week they stock it quite regularly? its for the hubby i wouldnt touch it it tastes disgusting but keeps him happy x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.