Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

anyone know what this is called

Wikiposts

anyone know what this is called

Old May 6th 2008, 4:47 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone know what this is called

ok i thought the beast in our furnished rental was a wolf spider - but he didnt look like that!
2nd pic = he was huge, ugly and blacker than black! had a shiney lumpy/spikey back which im guessing was babies...the body wad matchbox sized! eww

1st pic =
we have a large 'guest' at the mo and i thought he was a huntsman but think hes more like a wolfie now....
Attached Thumbnails anyone know what this is called-dscf1102.jpg   anyone know what this is called-dscf0943.jpg  
Old May 6th 2008, 4:53 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

No 1 is just a Huntsman.

No 2 is friggin horrible! Never seen anything like that!

Here's a good reference:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/australian/Spidaus.html

...but I don't see one like No. 2, or maybe it's 'Black House'??

Last edited by bcworld; May 6th 2008 at 4:56 pm.
Old May 6th 2008, 5:19 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Phew, glad N'1 is a huntsman - hes been sat above my bedroom door for 2 days now...wanders around the ceiling & walls a bits but seems quite happy...
N'2 was downright ugly...
and i found what i would say was a trap door in the garden the next day, bits of bark and leaves wrapped around a plant root, making a roof and there was a little twig propped up holding it open....that scared me more than seeing the spider!!! it was so well made - and thankfully empty!

ive ordered my spider chart now...
ive had lots of almost transparent small/thin/long spideys in the house...dont know what they are tho...and those little black ones - i thought they were ok

when we first moved in to our house there was a redback by the bins - i went back out with the spray and its disapeared!!!

Originally Posted by bcworld
No 1 is just a Huntsman.

No 2 is friggin horrible! Never seen anything like that!

Here's a good reference:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/australian/Spidaus.html

...but I don't see one like No. 2, or maybe it's 'Black House'??
Old May 6th 2008, 5:28 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

wow that's ugly.Looks like a banksia pod with legs
Old May 6th 2008, 5:31 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
wow that's ugly.Looks like a banksia pod with legs
I think it's covered in babies like katsmajic said - so you can't actually see the body of the spider underneath.
Old May 6th 2008, 8:40 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jwood
We have a resident spider in our back garden. It's living in what i presume is an un used drain cause when you go near it, it scoots back down the hole. It's not a trap door as there's no web. Anyone know what type it is or whether it's dangerous. Advice please
Don't kill the spider. It's good. Very timid and not aggressive. Also very pretty. They have a 'union' flag pattern on their backs and several rows of eyes. They're excellent hunters.
Here's one from my last rental place:

Mortein is unnecessary. Just put it outside.

The general rule is that if the spider has stripey legs, then it's not dangerous. That black one covered with babies would be better off outside.

However, spiders are territorial so if you remove one by killing it, then another will move in, so it's better to know where the dodgy ones are and just leave them alone, rather than not have a clue what's in your house or where it is.
Old May 6th 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

mancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to all

I'm starting to get a bit freaked out about these spiders....I can't stop myself reading all the threads about them!

I'm hoping I can remember all the advice people have said on here for when we arrive in August.
Old May 6th 2008, 8:49 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
ok i thought the beast in our furnished rental was a wolf spider - but he didnt look like that!
2nd pic = he was huge, ugly and blacker than black! had a shiney lumpy/spikey back which im guessing was babies...the body wad matchbox sized! eww

1st pic =
we have a large 'guest' at the mo and i thought he was a huntsman but think hes more like a wolfie now....
OMG!!! @ No 2 eeeekk!
Old May 6th 2008, 8:54 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mancfamily
I'm starting to get a bit freaked out about these spiders....I can't stop myself reading all the threads about them!

I'm hoping I can remember all the advice people have said on here for when we arrive in August.
The only thing you need to remember is to put them outside.
Old May 6th 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve_uk
Thats really great I have just printed them and laminated them for the family to learn. Is there one like this for snakes?
Old May 6th 2008, 10:05 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Its a House spider , which is a stupid name because they very rarely come inside , prefering under window ledges.
toxic , but non agressive.............mm
Old May 7th 2008, 5:11 pm
broken but got a visa! :

Thanks mm, he was next to my washing...guarding it from me - he wasnt impressed to see me thats for sure..ran at the daughter whilst she was having a look, its damn fast, but not as fast as she was - shoving me out of the way back to the house...i left him/her out there, got the washing in the next day...

Originally Posted by mr mover
Its a House spider , which is a stupid name because they very rarely come inside , prefering under window ledges.
toxic , but non agressive.............mm
Old May 7th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jwood;6099714][QUOTE=steve_uk;6099700]

I think speedy gonzalas, or maybe scooter. I like scooter.

Scooter's gone. I think he got washed away in the rain, i haven't seen him for days.
My hubby went into the shed yesterday to look for something and got the shock of his life when he was confronted ( well it walked passed him really ) by a massive spider. I think it was a mouse spider. just going to check the identifying chart now.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:17 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Thanks mm, he was next to my washing...guarding it from me - he wasnt impressed to see me thats for sure..ran at the daughter whilst she was having a look, its damn fast, but not as fast as she was - shoving me out of the way back to the house...i left him/her out there, got the washing in the next day...
Sorry kat , i have just enlarged your photo, and i can tell you it is a wolf spider with young attached,,,looking for a safe haven they very rarely come inside ,and are generally night hunters,,if you have a dog be careful these spiders are very toxic too dogs........mm
Old May 8th 2008, 12:03 am
broken but got a visa! :

aha
he did rear his front legs up at the daughter....did think wolf but thought he looked too black - he looked blacker than he does in the pic..was at the other rental so not worried now

my baby huntsman is quite happy here in the house - he mooches around the hallway by our bedroom, must be a few snacks hanging around - he just sits watching us watching him...i say baby cos hes only about 3 inches across
squished a white tip in the daughters bedroom - she was sat playing with bratz watching it wander around her room...
have ordered my id chart now..
no dogs for us - not for a long while anyway - im still torn about bringing my cats over - but having seen 3 dead cats not on the road side is worrying me..

thanks again mm xx
Originally Posted by mr mover
Sorry kat , i have just enlarged your photo, and i can tell you it is a wolf spider with young attached,,,looking for a safe haven they very rarely come inside ,and are generally night hunters,,if you have a dog be careful these spiders are very toxic too dogs........mm