Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone know of the "Grey Nomads"?

Anyone know of the "Grey Nomads"?

Old Aug 15th 2009, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone know of the "Grey Nomads"?

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any websites or whatever (info in general)about grey nomads?Or anyone actually living this lifestyle?For anyone who is wondering what grey nomads are,its a term used for older people(say 40+)that travel around Oz,some working,some not!Would be grateful,thanks!
Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know of the "Grey Nomads"?

Ah, the SKI club - I aspire to join and am looking for a bumper sticker!

You could start here http://www.greynomadaustralia.com.au/
Employment prospects here http://www.greynomadsemployment.com/pages.asp?PageID=17
Old Aug 15th 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Quoll!Do you know anyone who is nomading at the mo?
Old Aug 15th 2009, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

No, no one at the moment. I do wonder if the GFC may have dampened things down a bit - lots of SFRs finding their incomes slashed and many having to find their way back into the workforce so I dont know how many are travelling.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

claire-n-tel will become famous soon enoughclaire-n-tel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Hi I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any websites or whatever (info in general)about grey nomads?Or anyone actually living this lifestyle?For anyone who is wondering what grey nomads are,its a term used for older people(say 40+)that travel around Oz,some working,some not!Would be grateful,thanks!
Hi!! Yep we know a few, mostly people we met on our travels. We are brunette nomads i guess as only in our 30's! (We've stopped to work for a while now tho ) Still we met lots of people in thier 40's and 50's some of whom we are still in touch with and are still on the road. Not sure they'd call themselves "gray" nomads tho!!

Why do you want to know?? Thinking of doing it?? (sorry i'm a nosey bugger!)

Claire
Old Aug 15th 2009, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

40+

Are you poking the stick?
Old Aug 15th 2009, 10:41 pm
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

The thing that makes me laugh is on the Victorian number plate it says 'The State to Be'
Well bugger off back there and stop driving at 30km/h infront of me then....!
Old Aug 15th 2009, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by benny the ball
The thing that makes me laugh is on the Victorian number plate it says 'The State to Be'
We have to drive slowly in other states as no one there knows how to drive.

The roundabout rules aren't that difficult. And when you overtake you don't have to slow down to a speed slower than the car you've just overtaken

Old Aug 15th 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by benny the ball
Don't think I fit that catagory somehow,used to hang around with the H.A whilst in Oz!!!!!When we were there recently my OH was telling me to slow down all the time!
Old Aug 15th 2009, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
40+

Are you poking the stick?
I did say "Grey"nomads!!!!I'm aware of the travelling community in Oz thankyou!I am trying to find out some info for my cousin!
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

My friend's sister and her husband are sort of grey nomads presently traveling around Australia but they did not sell their house.

Another person I know has bought a cat and sailed from the Caribbean to Australia and is now sailing around Australia and they sold the house and live on board.

Brit lady acquaintance drives up to far north Queensland every year and spends the winter on the beach up there, she drives and tows the caravan and has done it for years and meets the same people every year.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:37 am
ABCDiamond

My next door neighbour is one, they go off every year for months on end, but keep the house here as a base.

Another neighbour also did the same, but then went off in their Winnebago, for a two year travel, selling the house and intending to buy again further north, for a new base

Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:14 am
Account Closed

I did say "Grey"nomads!!!!I'm aware of the travelling community in Oz thankyou!I am trying to find out some info for my cousin!
The "grey" refers to old people not people in their 40s and 50s.

The thought that generation Y will be driving the economy when I'm old enough to be a grey nomad is becoming a serious worry
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Who wants grey hair whatever the age not me thank goodness for hair dye.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 4:01 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The "grey" refers to old people not people in their 40s and 50s.

The thought that generation Y will be driving the economy when I'm old enough to be a grey nomad is becoming a serious worry
Seems the Grey Nomads even have their own motorcycle club... http://www.aceofclubs.com.au/home.html

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Aug 16th 2009 at 4:03 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.