Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?!

Anyone had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?!

Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Question Anyone had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?!

Hi people advice appreciated from those who have had this treated.

I have had the symptoms in my right wrist/arm since january and now the left is starting to play up. I am a telecoms linesman so all the manual digging and "fiddly" jointing of cables has obviously started this and even with a reduction in digging, no relief in sight. Have been to the doctor who suggested stopping work!!! He also gave me voltarin for the swelling in the hope it may reduce swelling and therefore circulation, have been on it for 2 months and it doesn't really help. He did suggest I may have to have surgery

Has anyone had treatment that works and more important had successful surgery. I would have to have both wrists operated on and am terrified of losing movement in my fingers etc.

Any experiences/advice appreciated.

Bruce
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:20 am
Outback Club Member

Paddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?!

My dad had it quite bad....couple of injections in his hand did the trick.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:18 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I got it early on in my preganancy and had to wear those huge splints for the duration and a few months after my son was born. The splints help but are not a long term solution. I thought that the surgery was very low risk and had a high rate of success?
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:55 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had it and have had both wrists done - I chose to have it done at the same time. I had CTS and also benign tumors in the CT's which they removed at the same time.

Make no bones about it it was VERY painful, made the incision from level with top joint of my thumbs down to the wrist bend. Arms absoloutely black and blue from whatever they poked up and down the CT's.

In soft plaster for 4 weeks, both arms, crossed in slings and then about 4 months recovery for me.

and now .... no pain at all 10 years later. Best thing I ever did although at the time was horrible. Glad I did both together and got it over. Lost some sensation as the nerves have been damaged but nothing to make any fuss about. My surgeon was fantastic, very good and also bloody gorgeous which helped when he held my hands!
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have had CTS. Both wrists...extremely painful...couldn't even lift a cup.

Had electronic testing...results...severe CTS in both wrists and trigger finger in both thumbs. I was a little worried out the tests because my GP said it wouldn't be pleasant...but was really nothing at all...just a slight sensation.

My surgeon suggested surgery on one hand at a time. Had the left one done at the end of 2007...instant relief. The numbness slowly came back to my fingers...100% success. Strangely enough I've not had a problem with the right hand since.

I had a sedative as opposed to a general anesthetic...I was completely out didn't feel or see a thing. Hardly any pain afterwards but did take painkillers for about 24 hrs.

BTW the incision was tiny...about half an inch and it was done in the crease of my wrist. There is no sign of it now. Cotton wool and a bandage until the next day...I was then allowed to shower and dressed the wound with a small bandage for about 3 weeks. I wore the bandage that long because of the soluble stitches...they kept catching on the bottom of my sleeve.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 19th 2008 at 5:33 am.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

dalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to all

I had a mild case some years ago. I went to an Osteopath practitioner (not a Chiropractor) and he did some work on my fingers particularly my thumb area, then on my elbow and shoulder. It seemed to fix it very quickly and I haven't had a recurrence
Old Apr 19th 2008, 5:24 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

had RSI or CTS ( same thing ) in both hands, i`m a sparkie and all the hammering chopping in boxes chasing in etc caused it though it did take several years to get to the point when it was stopping me from working

after the tests ( they bloody electocute you to see how bad the nerves are damaged ) had both hands operated on ( one at a time as i didnt want any else wiping me bum ) all the pain numness etc went almost overnight and since then they have both been fine ( about 10yrs ago ) only have faint scars on each hand where the carpel tunnel was cut to relieve the pressure
Old Apr 19th 2008, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

debsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruce67
Hi people advice appreciated from those who have had this treated.

I have had the symptoms in my right wrist/arm since january and now the left is starting to play up. I am a telecoms linesman so all the manual digging and "fiddly" jointing of cables has obviously started this and even with a reduction in digging, no relief in sight. Have been to the doctor who suggested stopping work!!! He also gave me voltarin for the swelling in the hope it may reduce swelling and therefore circulation, have been on it for 2 months and it doesn't really help. He did suggest I may have to have surgery

Has anyone had treatment that works and more important had successful surgery. I would have to have both wrists operated on and am terrified of losing movement in my fingers etc.

Any experiences/advice appreciated.

Bruce
I had CTS approx 7 years ago - had the op on my right hand, they identified my problem was elbow - wrist related so i have a scar at my elbow and a small scar inside my wrist, very painful after the op for 4 weeks was back to work after 6 weeks, still get numbness but not like before so it was definately worth doing. I wouldn't advise getting both done at the same time would be an absolute nightmare just bathing, toileting and everyday stuff is bad enough with one arm out of action.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 6:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debsvirgo
I had CTS approx 7 years ago - had the op on my right hand, they identified my problem was elbow - wrist related so i have a scar at my elbow and a small scar inside my wrist, very painful after the op for 4 weeks was back to work after 6 weeks, still get numbness but not like before so it was definately worth doing. I wouldn't advise getting both done at the same time would be an absolute nightmare just bathing, toileting and everyday stuff is bad enough with one arm out of action.
It sounds as though you had trouble with your elbow too...that's why an incision was made there. It would not be the case if it was just CTS. I can't remember the name of it but it is very similar to CTS.(CUTS maybe ) I've read that particular surgery is a lot more painful and the recovery time is longer than normal CTS surgery.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

debsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It sounds as though you had trouble with your elbow too...that's why an incision was made there. It would not be the case if it was just CTS. I can't remember the name of it but it is very similar to CTS.(CUTS maybe ) I've read that particular surgery is a lot more painful and the recovery time is longer than normal CTS surgery.
yep i know it has a different name - but can't remember. It was a little more complex but did the trick. At the time i needed my left hand done as well, but to be honest never ever went back to get it sorted and the left hand is ok now so glad i didn't bother.

Just lloked on internet and my problem was called - Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
Old Apr 19th 2008, 6:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by debsvirgo
yep i know it has a different name - but can't remember. It was a little more complex but did the trick. At the time i needed my left hand done as well, but to be honest never ever went back to get it sorted and the left hand is ok now so glad i didn't bother.

Just lloked on internet and my problem was called - Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
That's right that's the name of it. Strange about your other hand...mine was exactly the same. Had one hand done and the other cleared without surgery...and I was diagnosed with severe CTS.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 7:46 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

You may be interested, or not, to know that carpal tunnel is a symptom of a slow thyroid ... so do make sure you get that checked with the doc if you haven't already.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 7:55 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
You may be interested, or not, to know that carpal tunnel is a symptom of a slow thyroid ... so do make sure you get that checked with the doc if you haven't already.
? thought it was caused by physical damge ie hammering in my case ?
Old Apr 19th 2008, 7:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by steve`o
? thought it was caused by physical damge ie hammering in my case ?
You are also more prone to CTS if you are middle aged...are female...small frame...caucasion. That's the list my hand surgeon told me. There can be other underlying medical reasons too.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 19th 2008 at 8:00 am.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:16 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have had CTS. Both wrists...extremely painful...couldn't even lift a cup.

Had electronic testing...results...severe CTS in both wrists and trigger finger in both thumbs. I was a little worried out the tests because my GP said it wouldn't be pleasant...but was really nothing at all...just a slight sensation.

My surgeon suggested surgery on one hand at a time. Had the left one done at the end of 2007...instant relief. The numbness slowly came back to my fingers...100% success. Strangely enough I've not had a problem with the right hand since.

I had a sedative as opposed to a general anesthetic...I was completely out didn't feel or see a thing. Hardly any pain afterwards but did take painkillers for about 24 hrs.

BTW the incision was tiny...about half an inch and it was done in the crease of my wrist. There is no sign of it now. Cotton wool and a bandage until the next day...I was then allowed to shower and dressed the wound with a small bandage for about 3 weeks. I wore the bandage that long because of the soluble stitches...they kept catching on the bottom of my sleeve.

wow you're so lucky - I'd have loved to have the surgery and outcome you did .... although my case was a bit different with the tumours having to be removed.

lets just say 4 weeks in casts with both hands for a young lady is not fun .... my poor mum was a saint!!

and for my job it was a nightmare - I didnt know how the hell I would hit a ball again with the cuts being made in the palm of my hand, but I did, and they've been fine ever since.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.