Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone got a Hyundai Tuscon?

Anyone got a Hyundai Tuscon?

Old May 17th 2007, 9:35 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Question Anyone got a Hyundai Tuscon?

We're test driving one here at the weekend. It's currently No1 on our list of preferred cars for when w move to Oz. Followed closely by the Rav4.

Does anyone have one? If so, any pros and cons with it?

cheers

Gill
Old May 17th 2007, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

borehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone got a Hyundai Tuscon?

Originally Posted by herrchook
We're test driving one here at the weekend. It's currently No1 on our list of preferred cars for when w move to Oz. Followed closely by the Rav4.

Does anyone have one? If so, any pros and cons with it?

cheers

Gill
My mate's got one, he said that it's nice but not good on fuel.
Old May 17th 2007, 1:04 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Bought one in November Gill.

So far so good.

Didn't want a huge 4WD just a big car if you get my drift.
You can run it as 2WD or 4WD.
Petrol tank is 65 litres.
2.7 litre engine.

We looked at the competition including the RAV4 but the Hyundai was way out in front on value for money.

The RAV4 is usually sold in many flavours. You pick what you want included. The Hyundai comes with most of it to start with.

Toyota is THE brand in Aus with 30% market share but it doesn't come cheap. I had a Corolla before. which was damned good.

Hyundai have improved a great deal in recent years and are building a good rep over here.

They also do a Tuscon City which is identical except it's 2WD only and 2 or 2.3 litre engine I think. Comes in at a few grand cheaper.
Old May 17th 2007, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Probably an out of date factoid, but the Hyundai Accent was the best selling car in Australia (in one of the last few years).

I would have considered a Hyundai Tucson when we came here, but was vetoed by my other half. Ended up with a Nissan X-Trail which is reliable but unspectacular, and alot more expensive than the Hyundai.

I had a Hyundai Accent in the UK, and it was the most reliable car I ever owned (until it was stolen 6 weeks before we emigrated, which was handy for the insurance money ).

JTL
Old May 17th 2007, 1:19 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

They are making big inroads into the market as the little Getz is a big seller too.

I think the Tuscon City has the Elantra engine in it.
Old May 17th 2007, 4:11 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by borehamwood
My mate's got one, he said that it's nice but not good on fuel.
We did spot that somewhere. I guess running it on 2WD might help there?

Gill
Old May 17th 2007, 4:13 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by Bix
Didn't want a huge 4WD just a big car if you get my drift.
2.7 litre engine.

We looked at the competition including the RAV4 but the Hyundai was way out in front on value for money.

The RAV4 is usually sold in many flavours. You pick what you want included. The Hyundai comes with most of it to start with.
Our thinking is exactly the same as our Bix. Great minds and all that...or is it fools seldom differ?

Mike was looking at the Tuscon City last night. I will go take a peek myself.

cheers

Gill
Old May 17th 2007, 4:14 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I had a Hyundai Accent in the UK, and it was the most reliable car I ever owned (until it was stolen 6 weeks before we emigrated, which was handy for the insurance money ).

JTL
Fantastic timing. Hhmmmmm, maybe we should be leaving our keys in the car at night
Old May 17th 2007, 4:21 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by Bix
2.7 litre engine.
Bix, Mike says is it petrol or diesel?

cheers

Gill
Old May 17th 2007, 10:31 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix, Mike says is it petrol or diesel?

cheers

Gill
It's petrol Gill.
Old May 29th 2007, 1:46 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked out the Tucson this afternoon.Really nice looking motor.Only complaints i can see with it on various reviews is the fuel consumption but at under A$30,000 its a hell of alot of car for your money.
I may go for a testdrive this week
Ive also emailed numerous dealerships in Melb to see what deals they come back with (if they reply at all that is)

Lee
Old May 29th 2007, 1:59 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Just checked out the Tucson this afternoon.Really nice looking motor.Only complaints i can see with it on various reviews is the fuel consumption but at under A$30,000 its a hell of alot of car for your money.
I may go for a testdrive this week
Ive also emailed numerous dealerships in Melb to see what deals they come back with (if they reply at all that is)

Lee
It's a great deal isn't it. The cuel consumption really is putting us off though. We test drove the Civic Hybrid yesterday which has a petrol & electric engine. Wow, very nice car and cheap to run.

We just can't make up our minds what we want though. We were all set to go for the Tuscon, but are now unsure. Think we'll just wait and see what's around when we arrive.

Good luck with the test drive.
Old May 29th 2007, 2:01 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

We drove a hard bargain on ours.
Was prepared to walk though and did at one stage until they called us back.

If you have a choice always buy during the last few days of a month. A sale to you even at very low profit margin could tip their scales into a monthly bonus region.....and they like getting a bonus.

They only wanted to give us bottom Redbook value on our trade in but eventually we got the top book value.
Got full onroad costs and diamond package included for under the $30k.
That's the electronic rustproofer, full window tinting and full paint enamelling.

BTW the Tuscon City 2WD was about $4/5k cheaper than the Tuscon up here.
Old May 29th 2007, 2:54 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really considering buying the car before we arrive and have it delivered as soon as we arrive,saves the aggro of hunting for a car and also the cost of a rental for a week or so.
As regards the fuel economy is it reallt that horrific? Seems the only downside really and maybe the resale value ? although with a 5 yr warranty i'd be planning on keeping it.

Hey Bix do you recommend a Tuscon then ? Which model did you get?do you recommend the top of the range as opposed to the entry model 2 wheel drive?) ??? Ive only really just started looking for a possible car and ive never owned a car like this,i usually drive punto's etc !!!

Any other comments folks ???

Lee

Last edited by stuckinblighty; May 29th 2007 at 2:58 pm.
Old May 29th 2007, 3:02 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's a great deal isn't it. The cuel consumption really is putting us off though. We test drove the Civic Hybrid yesterday which has a petrol & electric engine. Wow, very nice car and cheap to run.

We just can't make up our minds what we want though. We were all set to go for the Tuscon, but are now unsure. Think we'll just wait and see what's around when we arrive.

Good luck with the test drive.
If I was in the maket for this type of vehicle I would go for a Kia Sorento diesel. It's just been released here and costs mid-$30k. Great car, fully loaded and is actually quite good offroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.