Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

anyone go to a good church on the gold coast? (christian)

anyone go to a good church on the gold coast? (christian)

Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone go to a good church on the gold coast? (christian)

I can't be of much help, but I have to say that I find Australia more overtly religious than the UK. We have met a few people who have asked us which church we go to. That rarely happened in the UK. It seems a more social thing here too. Shame we are in Adelaide as one of my daughter's friend's parents go to one which sounds a lot of fun here. Although Adelaide is the city of churches that might explain a few things....
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:25 am
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
I was christened Protestant. On the census I state that I am a christian because that's what I was christened. Do I practice, do I believe in God? Do I f ***!

Most people in Australia are Christian and most people will say that they are because that is what they have known since they were a kid. Ask them if they believe in God and I think you will hear a completely different story.

As GG mentioned, the major practicing religion in Australia now is probably Islam. Even polygamy has been legalised for them.
well, thats ok dean, i will take my chanceseven if there are only a few practising christians in the country ...
i don't need the whole countries population to go to my church and be friends with...i just want to find one church with a small group of people to meet...

that should be do-able i think...
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I can't be of much help, but I have to say that I find Australia more overtly religious than the UK. We have met a few people who have asked us which church we go to. That rarely happened in the UK. It seems a more social thing here too. Shame we are in Adelaide as one of my daughter's friend's parents go to one which sounds a lot of fun here. Although Adelaide is the city of churches that might explain a few things....
i agree, christianity is big here, much more than it was where i lived in the Uk. There are loads of churches in the Goldie!!
I know someone who goes to a hip church in Burleigh (i think), i'll find out which one
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:28 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Being in Adelaide explains a lot. There is definitely a BB element there.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:39 am

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
i agree, christianity is big here, much more than it was where i lived in the Uk. There are loads of churches in the Goldie!!
I know someone who goes to a hip church in Burleigh (i think), i'll find out which one
that would be cool! thanks!

being in burleigh, we might meet some people who are also vegans, like us, and breast feed their toddlers too!

how about you take some pot shots about vegans and extended breastfeeding moms, deancm, as there are HEAPS of cheap shots you could make about some other groups of people there, the christian stuff is getting a bit old!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chocciecake
that would be cool! thanks!

being in burleigh, we might meet some people who are also vegans, like us, and breast feed their toddlers too!

how about you take some pot shots about vegans and extended breastfeeding moms, deancm, as there are HEAPS of cheap shots you could make about some other groups of people there, the christian stuff is getting a bit old!
A few of my friends go to Generation at Varsity (just off Reedy Creek Road)
http://generation.org/. I think there is also one called Metro.
If you are veggies in Burleigh - you mightlike to try my favourite restaurant - Govindas in James Street - it is lovely.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by debsy
A few of my friends go to Generation at Varsity (just off Reedy Creek Road)
http://generation.org/. I think there is also one called Metro.
If you are veggies in Burleigh - you mightlike to try my favourite restaurant - Govindas in James Street - it is lovely.
ooh, thanks for that restaurant recommendation!

we went to one vege cafe on the gold coast highway, that wasn't too grand...
typical cliche vegan food that makes people think vegan food is gross!

we went to sage at broadbeach the other night and the chef made us an amazing risotto, and also a gnocchi dish that wasn't on the menu....alot of places seem to be quite flexible with their menus if you ask!

i will also check out those church links too....

we eventually want to buy land and build down tallebudgeera valley way, so ,even though we are presently in parkwood, it would actually be good to settle into a church and make some friends down that way too....
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:09 am

i found the metro site, if anyone else would find it useful: http://www.metro.org.au/
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Hi Chocciecake

Sorry I can’t help you out but I hope you find what you are looking for.
Sorry you’ve had to put up with so much stick for such a straightforward question. Not all of us non-Christians are narrow-minded.

Mx
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know where the gold coast is but Hillsong would guide you - thousands of Australians go there, or look up Patrick Humberstone or Peter Meyer in your tele system, both will advise.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again choc,

Just wanted to say well done for handling the "banter". Karma on its well deserved way.

Ren
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:58 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by micmay3_in_oz
Not all of us non-Christians are narrow-minded.

Mx
Well religion has caused more problems and wars throughout history than any other reason. And the Catholic church has imprisoned, tortured and murdered hundreds of thousands of people in the name of God.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Guys please, this is a serious question and it would be appreciated if you could give the OP a fair chance. Keep the nasty comment out of it, and keep the silly stuff for more appropriate threads.
Thanks.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:08 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocciecake
thanks for the insult,deancm, thats really makes me feel at home and welcome on british expats...
i assume deancm, that you have no constructive suggestions here?
as i am over 18 and entitled to making up my own mind in what i believe , i don't need to be insulted!
if you have nothing constructive to add here, please don't reply, as i'm not looking to be made to feel insulted, belittled, or made fun of, on here...this is supposed to be a forum for support for people starting a new life in australia...

i shouldn't have to worry each time i post a topic that i am going to be insulted by people with nothing better to do than make trouble....
So much for turning the other cheek:blink
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
Well religion has caused more problems and wars throughout history than any other reason. And the Catholic church has imprisoned, tortured and murdered hundreds of thousands of people in the name of God.
And your point is? How is that helping choc find a friendly church for family worship? Your horse is indeed very high but you should try getting off it just now and then. And maybe go back to hiding under your bridge until some more nanny goats trot across

And notice I managed to get that point over without a single "wtf" or the use of asterisks to hide swear words. See, it CAN be done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.