Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone else scared of flying?

Wikiposts

Anyone else scared of flying?

Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:49 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone else scared of flying?

Originally Posted by emelems
Ah I dunno - I'd probably think about a course.. it may help her whilst she does (and I am sure she will) grow out of it... if not possible, then definately some sort of relaxation techniques might be worth a look at.. breathing exercises etc etc

Em x
I will give it some thought. Until now I have just tried to play it down and not make a big deal out of it, but maybe it's worth it now, considering how much flying she'll have to do this year.

Thank you for your replies
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CEM
Has anyone else got a child who hates flying and if so, what do you do about it?

My middle daughter is 13 and has flown a lot, including 9 times backwards and forwards to Australia without any major incidents, and is getting worse each time. It started with her just looking a bit worried as the plane took off, when she was about 6, but when we came back from Aus this Christmas she was shaking and crying for about half an hour into the flight.
My oh is working in Melbourne this year and I've just had to tell my daughter that we have to go out at Easter and for the UK summer holidays and she's already getting herself in a state about it, almost to the point where she'd rather stay with her grandparents than come with us. I've told her that she can do that if she wants, but I know she really wants to see her Dad and I don't want to reinforce the idea that there is something to be frightened of.

Any suggestions (drug free)?

I think it's important to really take children's fears seriously and talk to them about what it is that is making them feel scared. Talk to her about the parts of flying she doesn't like and try to put her mind at ease by telling her how safe flying actually is. While you are flying try to give her distractions like books or magazines to read and if she is fretting ask her to explain how she is feeling. I had a panic attack on a Night train in Europe and it was there that my husband and I actually realised I am claustrophobic, I was OK as long as I spent most of the night out of the cabin.
Good Luck, I hope she manages to get over it, my fear of flying only came a couple of years ago, I use to love flying so it's really frustrating for me.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 3:52 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Aussie30
I think it's important to really take children's fears seriously and talk to them about what it is that is making them feel scared. Talk to her about the parts of flying she doesn't like and try to put her mind at ease by telling her how safe flying actually is. While you are flying try to give her distractions like books or magazines to read and if she is fretting ask her to explain how she is feeling. I had a panic attack on a Night train in Europe and it was there that my husband and I actually realised I am claustrophobic, I was OK as long as I spent most of the night out of the cabin.
Good Luck, I hope she manages to get over it, my fear of flying only came a couple of years ago, I use to love flying so it's really frustrating for me.
Thank you Aussie30. I'll buy her a really interesting book to take with her - hopefully that'll save my poor hand!
I have tried talking to her about it, but I don't think she really knows what the problem is, except that she doesn't know how the plane stays in the air! (oh had to answer that one, I gave up physics after pulleys!!). I could understand it if she'd had an experience like yours - I'd be exactly the same. I will talk to her when she's upset, that's a really good idea as she might be able to tell me while she's actually going through it.

Good luck getting over your fear, it must be frustrating
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:58 am
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CEM
Thank you Aussie30. I'll buy her a really interesting book to take with her - hopefully that'll save my poor hand!
I have tried talking to her about it, but I don't think she really knows what the problem is, except that she doesn't know how the plane stays in the air! (oh had to answer that one, I gave up physics after pulleys!!). I could understand it if she'd had an experience like yours - I'd be exactly the same. I will talk to her when she's upset, that's a really good idea as she might be able to tell me while she's actually going through it.

Good luck getting over your fear, it must be frustrating
Glad to help, I work with children & was a very anxious child too.
My Mum always tried to talk me through my fears and often they came from things I had seen on TV or comments made by my older brothers and sisters that were meant to be a joke, but when you are four and your brother tells you to 'watch out at the ZOO because the lions roam free and sometimes eat people' it's not funny!
Good Luck!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 7:41 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aussie30
Glad to help, I work with children & was a very anxious child too.
My Mum always tried to talk me through my fears and often they came from things I had seen on TV or comments made by my older brothers and sisters that were meant to be a joke, but when you are four and your brother tells you to 'watch out at the ZOO because the lions roam free and sometimes eat people' it's not funny!
Good Luck!
Siblings can be horrid!!!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:00 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CEM
I will give it some thought. Until now I have just tried to play it down and not make a big deal out of it, but maybe it's worth it now, considering how much flying she'll have to do this year.

Thank you for your replies
CEM - I've sent you a PM about this.