Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???

Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???

Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???

Originally Posted by kitty4
Too late !! He's already broken a bone in his foot and a small one in his hand
Awwww Maureen you poor thing - doesn't rain it pours (literally) and how's Barry done that???? We can't leave him alone for 5 secs! You poor things, thinking of you lots. Big hugs XXXXXXX
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:31 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Finally stopped raining! Hurrah, but now floods waters rising due to high tide! Peregian beach no access as David Low hwy closed, roads given way (bloody aussie built)! Mark back at work again, didn't get home till 11pm, he's shattered and yep he got soaking wet! Still no access to Eumundi/Doonan. Ah well, more quality time at home with the kids

spoke to a friend yesterday who lives out that way - kids are stuck at home cos of the flooding up that way ...
Old Aug 26th 2007, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
spoke to a friend yesterday who lives out that way - kids are stuck at home cos of the flooding up that way ...
I'm really hoping the kids can go back to school tomorrow as I've got to go to work! As far as I'm aware the roads are still closed but its drying out slowly. Kids are loving it! They think its fab not to have to go to school for over a week
Old Aug 26th 2007, 4:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
I'm really hoping the kids can go back to school tomorrow as I've got to go to work! As far as I'm aware the roads are still closed but its drying out slowly. Kids are loving it! They think its fab not to have to go to school for over a week
The David Low highway might be shut for a few days yet - they thought yesterday it might be quite badly damaged. Most of the others should be getting back to normal though.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The David Low highway might be shut for a few days yet - they thought yesterday it might be quite badly damaged. Most of the others should be getting back to normal though.
Mark's just been told it'll be closed for at least 3 weeks as the foundations have given way underneath it. Mates house is now only accessible by the beach. Thats what you get for wanting sea views!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Jopad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chopsface
reminds me of manchester
Hi there guys,
Hope you don't mind me joining me,we have returned from our reccie last week and fell in love with Oz. We travelled from Brisbane to Cairns by car. We loved the outskirts of Brissy, but we have just read your thread regarding the cyclones. We just presumed that up north Cairns etc got them and now horrified that you guys get them too. Is this a regular occurence and how offen and how bad are they?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jopad
Hi there guys,
Hope you don't mind me joining me,we have returned from our reccie last week and fell in love with Oz. We travelled from Brisbane to Cairns by car. We loved the outskirts of Brissy, but we have just read your thread regarding the cyclones. We just presumed that up north Cairns etc got them and now horrified that you guys get them too. Is this a regular occurence and how offen and how bad are they?
This weeks storm was a "once-in-100-years" type of thing, but the whole Qld coast can be affected from time to time. The majority of storms are up in the far north around Cairns, like Cyclone Larry last year - though that was the worst that anyone I work with could remember buy a long way (I work for Dept Emergency Services). We did have an alert earlier this year for one heading for Hervey Bay, but it fizzled out before it reached land.
The further north you go, the more prepared the communities are generally, and the more families you will find with thir own Disaster Plans and kits - which can be as simple as a plastic box with a first aid kit, a torch and a radio. Its really a case of knowing what your area is likely to suffer, and working out in advance the best way to be prepared.
Same as if you live in the bush you need to have a bushfire plan in place.

http://www.disaster.qld.gov.au/ can give you more info.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
This weeks storm was a "once-in-100-years" type of thing, but the whole Qld coast can be affected from time to time. The majority of storms are up in the far north around Cairns, like Cyclone Larry last year - though that was the worst that anyone I work with could remember buy a long way (I work for Dept Emergency Services). We did have an alert earlier this year for one heading for Hervey Bay, but it fizzled out before it reached land.
The further north you go, the more prepared the communities are generally, and the more families you will find with thir own Disaster Plans and kits - which can be as simple as a plastic box with a first aid kit, a torch and a radio. Its really a case of knowing what your area is likely to suffer, and working out in advance the best way to be prepared.
Same as if you live in the bush you need to have a bushfire plan in place.

http://www.disaster.qld.gov.au/ can give you more info.
Yep its all about being prepared (like us with a storm box - only couldn't find it when the time came)! Clearing up going well, amazing to see the water level covering the jetty's - my kids normally dive bomb off them! Will attach some pics, people seem happy enough and everyones going back to daily life. Amazing amount of tradies on the road now! They're all coming up from Maroochy and south to repair the damage. Never seen the roads so busy!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???-afterstorm1.jpg   Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???-afterstormflooding2.jpg   Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???-afterstormfishing.jpg   Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???-boatflags2.jpg   Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???-reelitindarkedging.jpg  

Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

Up To Late is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kitty4
Well, driving to work yesterday was the least of my worries. Woke up at 1am Fri night/Sat morning to my cat screaming and howling really distressed and dragging herself around with paralysed back legs. My first thought was ''tick'' must get a vet asap. I couldn't see a 24 hour service in the directory, so phoned my vet in Mooloolaba and she agreed to meet me at the surgery, although we were both a bit concerned about the drive. So I drove through the rain and wind with my cat screaming all the way and throwing herself around the carrier she was in. Vet took her home with her, as she was really difficult to examine due to distress. Her husband is a vet also, so they were able to put her under sedation and give her pain relief, but ruled out tick paralysis straight away as her symptoms and behaviour were not typical. Anyway, they phone at 7am and said it was most likely an embolism from a heart problem (being 15 years old) and it blocked the aorta and the blood supply to the lower body, so she had to be euthansed. Apparently it is a condition known in cats and happens suddenly - she had been perfect all day and evening. She is the cat in my avatar

So sorry to read this. My two cats both died suddenly last year at 12 and 19 years. Both appeared fit and well the day before. It is such a shock when it happens like that. I hope you are feeling OK. I cried like a baby when my cats died and even now get a bit teary at the thought. At least you know when they are 'elderly' that they have had a good life and your cat didn't suffer for long. Big hug and lots of sympathy.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:38 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Just picked up this thread and had a read through.

It's hard to believe that we were in Mooloolaba and then went on up to Hervey Bay..... It was glorious just 10 days ago. We flew from Cairns back to Brissie and into the beginning of the rain on the Thursday and came home on the 24th just as the flooding got underway...

Glad to hear that you all got through it OK

((((HUGS))))) for Kitty and the sad loss of her cat. Hope that you are Ok.

Ali and Jon x
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi All

Glad to see your all ok and fit and well and the clean up op is well underway.

Kitty so sorry to read about your cat.

Jane