Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone else got a hubby like mine....

Anyone else got a hubby like mine....

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:15 am

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone else got a hubby like mine....

this thread is done as a bit of fun and in no means a way of slaughtering their other half on here...

My other half is the most un-romantic person ive every met or possibly very mis-understood and here goes as to why,,
one day i had just been generally just browsing around in jewellers windows, like most women do and i spotted a beautiful diamond ring in the sale as it was just after christmas, i rang OH and said look ive found this ring i would really like to buy its XX amount do you mind? he said look if you like it buy it and it can be your birthday pressie, great i thought, so i bought the ring and put it upstairs in my draw until my birthday, that night we were going out and he said you ready love and have you got your ring on, yes i replied, so off we went to the pub on the way in the taxi he said oh ive invited a couple of my mates to join us, i thought ok no problems, when i get to the pub door he said buy the way that ring its your engagement ring,, i was like what !!! we get inside the the pub and everyone is saying congratulations... some proposal that was, anyway i just let that pass.
Then some 18 months later i was in the kitchen making dinner, you know the oven on, pans bubbling with veg, trying to help my son with his home work at the same time, the he shouts from the lounge, oh love ive been thinking,, and i just laughed, saying that must have hurt your brain... he replied yeah, ive decided we are getting married.com !!! I was stood there gob smacked, not only had i not been asked if i wanted to get engaged, but i was now being told i was getting married... i said to him look i dont want to get married, (as i had previously been married) he just laughed and said i know but i have never tried it, and look ive booked the registra's office and made a list of all family and friends i want to invite,, i was dumb struck to say the least, after i came too i said and what date is this wedding you've booked, he said oh in 3 weeks time,, i honestly could not believe he thought this was dueable,, anyway we did get married on the date he had set after much deliberation on my part and havent looked back since...
So as you can see i would say i have one of the most un-romantic OH, or maybe he his romantic in his own way,, so does anyone else have a OH like mine, or am i just lucky / un-lucky?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else got a hubby like mine....

Mine was vaguely similar. We were talking about kids one evening (having been together 13 years and living together for 6 of those years) and he said "I guess we'd better get married then" At work the next day, he rings and tells me he's booked the registry office for the 5th Jan (7 weeks away). "Oh, OK" I say. Half an hour later he rings again to say it won't be the 5th as that's a Saturday and that would be a pain, can I get the Friday 4th off work? I could. We didn't tell a soul what we were doing.

About six months later, I was walking past a second hand jewelers window and noticed a ring I really liked. Rang him and said I'd found an engagement ring, his response was to get it and he'd pay half

Oh and my eternity ring came via an insurance claim after a burglary. I had a long gold chain stolen so with the insurance money I found an eternity ring. Nothing to do with hubby

When I gave birth to tiddler on a Valentines Day, he arrived back at the hospital with a bunch of half dead roses, picked up from a petrol station as he didn't see the point of paying over the odds on Valentines Day.

Who said romance was dead?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

That made me smile. I don't know about romantic in the traditional sense, but that was a lovely story.

I had been away for a girlie weekend, when I got back my OH said how about we get married . ( A good friend of mine was coming over from Brisbane on holiday and his plan was to get married when she was over )
Which we did... I had about 3mths to plan the wedding and my friend was chief bridesmaid..
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:40 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
...Who said romance was dead?
I proposed via text message...
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:41 am

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh i am so pleased im not the only one,, Moneypen20 your OH sounds just like mine. At least there's never a dull moment
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

mancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to all

Me too. One evening I was in the kitchen washing the pots and it was like this "I want to get married, I think we should get married" oh ok, no kneel on the floor and take my hand and produce a big whopping sparkler? No not my fella.

We did get married 12 months later!

He isn't romantic in the sense of buying me flowers, or suprising me with a romantic weekend away, but he'll often come home and say "I've bought you a bar of chocolate" That's about as romantic as he gets!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:51 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DrWho

Dear god. I hope you followed it up with a proper one....
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 1:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No one had even heard of text messaging in our day
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 1:21 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Dear god. I hope you followed it up with a proper one....
Yes I did... I sent another one about 2 minutes later asking her to make sure she didn't forget the wine to go with the Indian takeaway she was picking up...
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
About six months later, I was walking past a second hand jewelers window and noticed a ring I really liked. Rang him and said I'd found an engagement ring, his response was to get it and he'd pay half
I would have called the wedding off!!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 1:46 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I did... I sent another one about 2 minutes later asking her to make sure she didn't forget the wine to go with the Indian takeaway she was picking up...
You old romantic.

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 1:53 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I decided, one night at the pub (missus' not in attendance) that I wanted to get married. So I announced to the whole pub that we were going to tie the knot. Much cheering. Then I went to the newsagents, bought a box of Maltesers and rode my pushbike home. She was in bed watching telly, so I collapsed beside her, popped the lid on the Maltesers (dead romantic like) and started posting them into her mouth. She asked me to what she owed the honour of being fed Maltesers and I said I'd decided that we were getting married. She said, 'yea yea yea' putting it down to me being pissed. But the next morning I repeated the offer and she figured that if I'd ask with a hangover on me I must be serious. So she goes to work in the pub (the one I'd got pissed in the night before) to tell everyone her news and they all knew because I'd announced it while standing on a table the night before. She's never forgiven me for that.

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:02 am
Timelord

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
You old romantic.

Aw shucks I just can't help it...

My old PA, a formidable young lady I might say, arrived in to work one day and we all knew it was her wedding anniversary. When no flowers had arrived by 11am she was upset... and then she gets mean...

She had the most enormous bunch of flowers delivered to OH's work (Hewlett Packard, BFO place) and they called him to reception over the tannoy... Apparently when he got there and saw what he'd received he went as white as a sheet and took the afternoon off...!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by rabsody
I would have called the wedding off!!!!
We'd been married four months by that point
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:57 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I decided, one night at the pub (missus' not in attendance) that I wanted to get married. So I announced to the whole pub that we were going to tie the knot. Much cheering. Then I went to the newsagents, bought a box of Maltesers and rode my pushbike home. She was in bed watching telly, so I collapsed beside her, popped the lid on the Maltesers (dead romantic like) and started posting them into her mouth. She asked me to what she owed the honour of being fed Maltesers and I said I'd decided that we were getting married. She said, 'yea yea yea' putting it down to me being pissed. But the next morning I repeated the offer and she figured that if I'd ask with a hangover on me I must be serious. So she goes to work in the pub (the one I'd got pissed in the night before) to tell everyone her news and they all knew because I'd announced it while standing on a table the night before. She's never forgiven me for that.

Oh that's a lovely story!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.