Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone else got a hubby like mine....

Anyone else got a hubby like mine....

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:09 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone else got a hubby like mine....

Originally Posted by DrWho
Aw shucks I just can't help it...

My old PA, a formidable young lady I might say, arrived in to work one day and we all knew it was her wedding anniversary. When no flowers had arrived by 11am she was upset... and then she gets mean...

She had the most enormous bunch of flowers delivered to OH's work (Hewlett Packard, BFO place) and they called him to reception over the tannoy... Apparently when he got there and saw what he'd received he went as white as a sheet and took the afternoon off...!!!
It pays to get married on a day you'll remember... like Christmas day for example.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:22 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hutch
I decided, one night at the pub (missus' not in attendance) that I wanted to get married. So I announced to the whole pub that we were going to tie the knot. Much cheering. Then I went to the newsagents, bought a box of Maltesers and rode my pushbike home. She was in bed watching telly, so I collapsed beside her, popped the lid on the Maltesers (dead romantic like) and started posting them into her mouth. She asked me to what she owed the honour of being fed Maltesers and I said I'd decided that we were getting married. She said, 'yea yea yea' putting it down to me being pissed. But the next morning I repeated the offer and she figured that if I'd ask with a hangover on me I must be serious. So she goes to work in the pub (the one I'd got pissed in the night before) to tell everyone her news and they all knew because I'd announced it while standing on a table the night before. She's never forgiven me for that.

brilliant
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 10:23 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Heres a few "moments" from my rather unromantic hubby...

I tell him I am pregnant... he tells me "congratulations" and goes back to playing the computer game... I throw things around the room

When thinking I am in labour with son I phone him... he arrives totally peed off as he is missing out on his Microsoft training course for WOSA (don't ask)..

I actually go into labour... he comes back... spends the entire time asleep... the midwife is very worried about him and asks me if "he is going to be OK?"... I reassure her.. WTF is that all about?!!!

I eventually give birth to our son by emergency C section... he goes home... then comes back to the hospital.. Everyone else is surrounded by cards and flowers... My husband turns up with a dime bar for me... no kidding... I tell him I can't eat it, I am too sore and can't move.. he tells me "never mind" and eats it for me..

He is about as romantic as a smelly sock!

BUT! no one on earth can make me laugh like he can! (and I am pointing out all the bad things he did and missing out the good stuff like ironing my clothes for when I left hospital... he NEVER irons.. not even his own clothes, plus cooked me meals each night and held my hand when I cried a lot!... )..

Em x
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mancfamily

He isn't romantic in the sense of buying me flowers, or suprising me with a romantic weekend away, but he'll often come home and say "I've bought you a bar of chocolate" That's about as romantic as he gets!
Originally Posted by emelems
BUT! no one on earth can make me laugh like he can! (and I am pointing out all the bad things he did and missing out the good stuff like ironing my clothes for when I left hospital... he NEVER irons.. not even his own clothes, plus cooked me meals each night and held my hand when I cried a lot!... )..

Em x
That's the kind of romantic my hub is. We got an insurance rebate one year. The cheque came on a Thursday in the mail and hub says "hey, let's get married this weekend." We got the licence on the Friday and married on the Sunday. We invited 2 other couples out to dinner (but didn't tell them we were getting married - only that we wanted to go out for dinner with them) and when they got there we did a 5 minute ceremony. To top off the romance, part way through dinner my husband's pager went off and he had to go to work. He neglected to tell them that he was getting married on Sunday and didn't arrange any cover! So, I spent the evening of my wedding home alone while he was out working.

He did redeem himself 12 years later when he took me to Bahamas for my 40th birthday. We were walking down the street in Nassau when he pulled me into a little jewellery shop and told me to pick a setting for the diamond he had bought me. It was 1.2 carats - 10 points for every year we had been together.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

My OH proposed during the commercial break of Corrie! Granted he did have a sparkling diamond ring but still ... Corrie!

We're getting married in 3 and a half weeks and I'm so bloody excited!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
My OH proposed during the commercial break of Corrie! Granted he did have a sparkling diamond ring but still ... Corrie!

We're getting married in 3 and a half weeks and I'm so bloody excited!
At least he waited until a commercial break. If my husband had interrupted my show to propose I would have had to hurt him.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Hubby only married me to make our visa application easier (he does love me as well though lol). I booked the registry office for the cheapest day possible. My wedding ring was bought off ebay (I paid for it not hubby). On route to the registry office we had to stop so that hubby could do a job for work & then when we arrived we had a squabble as I refused to let him get married in his works t-shirt & made him change it in the car park. I had a new dress on from New Look & hubby wore jeans, t-shirt & trainers. Oh & he hadn't paid any attention & when the asked if he'd take me to be his wife, etc he replied 'yeah' instead 'I do'

Oh well, we're happy enough & I wouldn't have changed the day for the world

Alison x
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I think my OH must be your husband's twin Cheekyvimto.

We met when we were 16 and at school. it took him six pints to build up the courage to ask me out when we were 17. I seem to remember the asking out took the form of a druken lunge and a soppy expression.

After our A levels he was told by his mother that he should finish with me as we were going to university in different cities. So he did!!!!

A year later we met by accident when we both went to meet ex school friends for a drink. I had another boyfriend and I studiously ignored him all night. Once again 6 pints were consumed and he slurred the words 'tell your boyfriend to F off because I want you.'

I have to say that I didn't sucombe to this lovely courtship and he had to spend a long time phoning and persuading to get me to see him again.

Roll on 5 years and we are still together. One night I come home from work to be told that he has been to the Registry office and has booked our wedding for 2 weeks time as it is the 5 year anniversary of the 'tell him to F off' conversation. He went to Argos and bought a ring the next day.

I have to say, it was a fun wedding - we had 2 receptions one for freinds and one for family. The MIL cried all the way through as she never liked me.

He is now, after 18 years of marriage, still as 'romantic' as ever. He bought me a sat nav for my 40th. (He bought me a toaster for my 21st.)

Wouldn't be without the great lump though.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

After reading this thread I've come to the conclusion that:

(a) my OH is pretty good after all and (b) I must be extremely high maintenance i.e. expect partner to remember all special occasions etc
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:32 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

My OH and I have been living together for 11 years and have 2 kids.

He recently mentioned that it might be worth getting married .......... for tax purposes !!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:41 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We'd been together about six months after being best mates for a couple of years. It was my birthday mid-week so we just went out for a quiet meal. We were planning a trip to Australia and thinking, if we liked it, we'd start looking to move there.

Just having a post-meal drink and talking about it, he said, "wouldn't it be fun if we got married while we were there - it would help with the visa."

(We did it. New Year's Eve 2001, near Mrs Macquarie's Chair in Sydney's Botanic Gardens, with the bridge and opera house in the background. It helped with the visa, but it was one for Singapore.)

(Dear Mr Australian Immigration, we're still together; it wasn't a marriage of convenience, honest...if I'd wanted that I'd have married my gay best friend who offered, 'cos he's got citizenship...)
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:31 am
Mav
Forum Regular

Mav is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheekivimto07
this thread is done as a bit of fun and in no means a way of slaughtering their other half on here...

My other half is the most un-romantic person ive every met or possibly very mis-understood and here goes as to why,,
one day i had just been generally just browsing around in jewellers windows, like most women do and i spotted a beautiful diamond ring in the sale as it was just after christmas, i rang OH and said look ive found this ring i would really like to buy its XX amount do you mind? he said look if you like it buy it and it can be your birthday pressie, great i thought, so i bought the ring and put it upstairs in my draw until my birthday, that night we were going out and he said you ready love and have you got your ring on, yes i replied, so off we went to the pub on the way in the taxi he said oh ive invited a couple of my mates to join us, i thought ok no problems, when i get to the pub door he said buy the way that ring its your engagement ring,, i was like what !!! we get inside the the pub and everyone is saying congratulations... some proposal that was, anyway i just let that pass.
Then some 18 months later i was in the kitchen making dinner, you know the oven on, pans bubbling with veg, trying to help my son with his home work at the same time, the he shouts from the lounge, oh love ive been thinking,, and i just laughed, saying that must have hurt your brain... he replied yeah, ive decided we are getting married.com !!! I was stood there gob smacked, not only had i not been asked if i wanted to get engaged, but i was now being told i was getting married... i said to him look i dont want to get married, (as i had previously been married) he just laughed and said i know but i have never tried it, and look ive booked the registra's office and made a list of all family and friends i want to invite,, i was dumb struck to say the least, after i came too i said and what date is this wedding you've booked, he said oh in 3 weeks time,, i honestly could not believe he thought this was dueable,, anyway we did get married on the date he had set after much deliberation on my part and havent looked back since...
So as you can see i would say i have one of the most un-romantic OH, or maybe he his romantic in his own way,, so does anyone else have a OH like mine, or am i just lucky / un-lucky?
my OH did somethink like that I said I would like to get married as we been together about 9 yrs, the next thing I was at work on the afternoon shift then he phoned me and said you best have the 27th oct off as we are getting married which gave us 6 weeks, well my face was a picture all afternoon the next thing we were married.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:29 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
My OH and I have been living together for 11 years and have 2 kids.

He recently mentioned that it might be worth getting married .......... for tax purposes !!!!!!!!!
Mine suggested once that we get DIVORCED due to tax relief and 2nd properties!

Even he had the grace to look a bit embarrassed after he said it!

Em x
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

PAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond repute

Billy un-romantic no,he loves his golf Hope your both well

Paul
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:16 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by al150n
Hubby only married me to make our visa application easier (he does love me as well though lol). I booked the registry office for the cheapest day possible. My wedding ring was bought off ebay (I paid for it not hubby). On route to the registry office we had to stop so that hubby could do a job for work & then when we arrived we had a squabble as I refused to let him get married in his works t-shirt & made him change it in the car park. I had a new dress on from New Look & hubby wore jeans, t-shirt & trainers. Oh & he hadn't paid any attention & when the asked if he'd take me to be his wife, etc he replied 'yeah' instead 'I do'

Oh well, we're happy enough & I wouldn't have changed the day for the world

Alison x
Jinx - sounds like my wedding day. Only hubby and I and five close friends. The registar asked our friends if they were the bride and groom as they were better dressed and OH & I - jeans and tee kinda thing! Mind you it was me who spent most of the ceremony laughing as I realised that I was practically marrying OH for the visa and how that would sound telling the grandkids.

5 years later - nothing wrong with a marriage of practicality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.