Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone else felt like this as they are about to emigrate

Anyone else felt like this as they are about to emigrate

Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone else felt like this as they are about to emigrate

Feel as though I have been hit by a steamroller, dont get me wrong I am having no second thoughts - I leave my job on friday, and have everything planned (I have been distancing myself at work for last 12 months)

But despite the organisation and the kids being sooooo excited about everything, including xmas (we fly on n.y. eve with quantas) I could burst into tears at any moment.

I feel as though I should be in holiday mode, looking forward to the new start, but I cant get a glimmer of enthusiasm. Despite everything I ever wanted for the last 5 years happening and everyone at work and home being so envious - I feel like a spoilt child.

Confused
Angela
Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:03 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else felt like this as they are about to emigrate

It's the affect I have on people Angela.
Not many get to meet me in person.
I am just a mystery lion to most.

Yes, yes, yes............most people get topsy turvy emotions in the lead up to flying out.
You are not alone my friend
Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angela Marie
Feel as though I have been hit by a steamroller, dont get me wrong I am having no second thoughts - I leave my job on friday, and have everything planned (I have been distancing myself at work for last 12 months)

But despite the organisation and the kids being sooooo excited about everything, including xmas (we fly on n.y. eve with quantas) I could burst into tears at any moment.

I feel as though I should be in holiday mode, looking forward to the new start, but I cant get a glimmer of enthusiasm. Despite everything I ever wanted for the last 5 years happening and everyone at work and home being so envious - I feel like a spoilt child.

Confused
Angela
You wouldn't believe the amount of people who feel like this, its only to be expected, I think everyone is scared of change as we really dont know what to expect until it happens.
I'm already preparing myself for these emotions, and will probably go through the whole "I wish I was back in the UK" once I get to OZ, But I put this down to the old saying THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER. I'm sure once your there and settled in to a routine you will feel much better.
Hope everything works out.
Love Sam xxx
Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bix]It's the affect I have on people Angela.
Not many get to meet me in person.

aaahhh see - you solved the mystery ! it is indeed the anticipation of meeting you
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:24 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

I think mixed emotions are to be expected, but even if you expect them it doesn't help in dealing with them! Nothing does really, just got to ride them out.

I'm feeling like it & got at least 6mths to go! I think it is cos I am experiencing everything now as if it will be one of the last times I do it in the UK so am really conscious of it. On the one hand, having a fun time doing stuff but on the other it exacerbates any worries about leaving.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, most of us who have done this (for me in reverse) will tell you that it is natural and understandable and that it will continue for a while after the move and start to subside but never go away fully. Some will tell you it didn't subside for them on the other side, perhaps even heightened. You'll never know until you have a go which category you will be in. Good luck!

OzTennis
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:49 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Yes, most of us who have done this (for me in reverse) will tell you that it is natural and understandable and that it will continue for a while after the move and start to subside but never go away fully. Some will tell you it didn't subside for them on the other side, perhaps even heightened. You'll never know until you have a go which category you will be in. Good luck!

OzTennis
Are you going back to Australia any time soon OzTennis?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:50 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis

OzTennis
And you forgot to say, some people just love it from the moment they arrive!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I think these feelings are to be expected. I'm sure most people have them at some point. I know I do and I wonder if we are doing the right thing. We aren't anywhere near close to going yet.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 4:07 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustBecause
I think mixed emotions are to be expected, but even if you expect them it doesn't help in dealing with them! Nothing does really, just got to ride them out.

I'm feeling like it & got at least 6mths to go! I think it is cos I am experiencing everything now as if it will be one of the last times I do it in the UK so am really conscious of it. On the one hand, having a fun time doing stuff but on the other it exacerbates any worries about leaving.
Ditto.................C x
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:04 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Confused
Angela
Hey! I feel like that now and we ain't going for a while yet!

I'm sure it's perfectly normal...fear of the unknown or something? If it's any consolation - the human being is a remarkable product! We have an amazing survival instinct - you'll be fine! Enjoy the ride
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Anyone else felt like this as they are about to emigrate

[QUOTE=Angela Marie]Feel as though I have been hit by a steamroller, dont get me wrong I am having no second thoughts - I leave my job on friday, and have everything planned (I have been distancing myself at work for last 12 months)

Confused

Hey Angela Marie under your name it says `going on an adventure`! You are about to go on an adventure.Worrying is normal-at least you are not heading off thinking all will be fab - then when it is you`ll be pleasantly suprised.
I ditto your emotions- an emotional rollercoaster -we leave a week later.I`m dreading our Christmas Tree coming down.............
Good Luck in Cairns.We`re off to Sydney.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Confused
Angela[/QUOTE]

Perfectly natural feelings I would have thought Angela.

It's a time thing, I imagine you will feel better when there a couple of weeks.

All the best again...keep us posted...

Dave
Old Dec 25th 2006, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

stevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the rough

Confused
Angela
Its a vey daunting event. Lots of emotions, but the hard bit is when you are over there adjusting and missing people. Just always remember why you are doing it all and keep strong. Its a great adventure, and a great place to be. Good luck!
Old Dec 25th 2006, 11:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Only everyone at some point and in some form. Why should you be any different