Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone driven to Uluru/ Ayer's Rock ?

Anyone driven to Uluru/ Ayer's Rock ?

Old May 30th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone driven to Uluru/ Ayer's Rock ?

Originally Posted by Pomster
we drove to Adelaide, took the train there to Alice, then drove back.

The trip was fab.
We went to Ulhuru, Kata Tjuta (sp?), King's Canyon (fab and only 300kms from Ulhuru) and on the way back stopped at Coober Pedy.

Highlights for me were: the Ghan, King's Canyon and Coober Pedy.
Ulhuru was worth seeing, but I thought KC was more impressive as you can walk up over the top.
I'd agree with that, if you have the time then definitely go to Kings Canyon. Fantastic walk along the canyon rim. Coober Pedy is also worth a visit.

I'll point the OP (or any other interested party) in the direction of the blog I kept whilst the wife and I drove around the Eastern half of Oz in 2008 - Uluru, Kings Canyon & Coober Pedy - not the quality of the Lonely Planet but it might give you a few ideas.
Old May 31st 2010, 10:34 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaj
As it is 'Winter' here thinking of heading inland to Uluru over the June school hols. It is only 1397 miles from us - around 32 hrs driving, not too bad if you do it in sections. We have a 4wd so no problems there and are thinking of stopping at motels on the way.It was always on my list of places to visit on the bucket list so I am thinking of ticking it off now while the kids are still young enough to want to come!

Has anyone been there, is it worth a visit? Can you give any info on what to do once there and are there any decent hotels there?
OP , it's not a question of how to get there . That is not even an option .
Its a question of what you will see when you arrive .

Go to Ularu , lay your gaze upon its majesty .

Run your hands through that golden red sand , lift your quivvering sweating hands to your mouth and taste it. If you are pure of heart and mind you will see it differently to those who are not .

A vista of lush green valleys will open up before you . The plains that were once barron now move as one with the roaming of unicorns and smurfs all living as one . High upon Ularu itself your jaw dropped gaze will take in the magic crystal castle that sits aloft this mighty rock proud and tall . below it waterfalls casscade in to pools at your feet . Rainbows dance in its twinkling spray .

Yes go to Ularu , crawl there if you must .
Old Jun 1st 2010, 2:26 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Icarus
OP , it's not a question of how to get there . That is not even an option .
Its a question of what you will see when you arrive .

Go to Ularu , lay your gaze upon its majesty .

Run your hands through that golden red sand , lift your quivvering sweating hands to your mouth and taste it. If you are pure of heart and mind you will see it differently to those who are not .

A vista of lush green valleys will open up before you . The plains that were once barron now move as one with the roaming of unicorns and smurfs all living as one . High upon Ularu itself your jaw dropped gaze will take in the magic crystal castle that sits aloft this mighty rock proud and tall . below it waterfalls casscade in to pools at your feet . Rainbows dance in its twinkling spray .

Yes go to Ularu , crawl there if you must .
Magic mushrooms for breakfast?
Old Jun 1st 2010, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Ask same question in 6 weeks time and we'll answer yes!

We're heading off with camper trailer in tow right through the middle and up to Darwin and back. Can't wait - online looking at accommodation now.

My top tip is to book now as it's peak tourist season and with school holidays first two weeks of July for most it's even busier! Having said that there is a lot of choice outside of Uluru itself so hoping it's not to mad!

I think it's a heritage type thing feeling for us - can't have all these backpackers working for us that have been and done everything that we haven't yet
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
Having said that there is a lot of choice outside of Uluru itself so hoping it's not to mad!
But how far away from Uluru are these choices? Only the hotels and camp site at Yulara is really close. And that's why they can charge really high prices (apart from the camp site which we found very reasonable).

Remember you'll have to get up at a ridiculous time in the morning to make sunset!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
But how far away from Uluru are these choices? Only the hotels and camp site at Yulara is really close. And that's why they can charge really high prices (apart from the camp site which we found very reasonable).

Remember you'll have to get up at a ridiculous time in the morning to make sunset!
I assume you really meant sunrise then?????
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I assume you really meant sunrise then?????
Nah, I like to sleep all day

Why can't I edit an old post to stop me from looking like a numptie?
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:11 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

i went by coach 15 years ago, it wasnt a bad way to pass 2 or 3 days (well, i went from sydney - canberra - cross the outback to SA then up thru coober peedy and via alice to Ulhuru). i stayed in the hostel type accomodation at ulhuru (dont know if its still there) for 3 or 4 nights, had an absolute blast, then coached it all the way back to sydney.
awesome journey, but got to sleep at night (i can sleep on a washing line, so a coach seat is no problem)
did the rock tour on the back of a harley ... awesome memories!
would love to do it again with the kids, but would probably fly if we have the money to do so.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know you can sleep on a washing line? When did you find out? Why did you attempt it in the first place? Just when I think I know someone, they tell me something that blows my mind
Old Jun 1st 2010, 6:35 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
How do you know you can sleep on a washing line? When did you find out? Why did you attempt it in the first place? Just when I think I know someone, they tell me something that blows my mind
years of practice mp, years of practice
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

We drove from Cairns (across country) to Mt Isa, then onto Three Ways and down to Ayres Rock.

I was one heck of a trip but we did do it over a three week period.

Driving from Three Ways to the Rock was exciting at first because we were in the “true” outback and had never driven in that sort of environment before but after six hours of a completely straight road and exactly the same scenery....it did start to become a little bit monotonous.

In fact we went a bit nutty and celebrated a bend in the road by cracking open a cold beer. Especially went nutty having to listen to the same tape over and over and over again (tape = early 90’s era). So make sure you take plenty of different CDs and backseat car games for the kids.

There was no other traffic about except for the occasional road train which was an absolutely terrifying experience to have one overtake you, or you overtake it.

The traditional owners ask you not to climb the rock but quite frankly we said bugger that because of the distance involved getting there and we climbed it. I am glad we did because the climb and view was amazing. The Olgas are creepy (weird energies) but they are also spectacular.

You can also do a Aboriginal guided Ayres rock base walk, do sunset and sunrise tours, plus dining by starlight, walking in the Olgas, helicopter and balloon flights. I am sure there is much more these days.

We also visited Kings Canyon and did the rim walk. That too was fantastic and completely deserted during that era, but I now hear that a resort has opened up there.

Apart from a proper campsite in Alice Springs and Ayres Rock we mainly camped on the side of the road (well off the road away from road trains) and one night we camped at the Devils Marbles, which was again full of ancient energies. The Daly Waters pub was “interesting” and Winston Churchills Head was very hard to find!

After all this we headed up to Darwin and stopping at Mataranka for an early morning dip before all the hoards turned up was sensational.

Looks like this new luxury resort has opened since we were there and it looks gorgeous:

http://www.longitude131.com.au/video/

But at that stage we were backpacking, so cost had to be kept at a minimal.

Anyway, I personally think it is more than worth it, a good opportunity to see the real Australia. There is some amazing country out there.

Make sure you take a good camera with a zoom, as it is hard to capture the true beauty of the Rock with a cheap one.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Whilst the drive can be boring in parts due to the same scenery for hours on end, I would still not recommend flying for your first trip, as driving in the outback can be exciting if you have never done it before. Depends on your attitude and sense of adventure.

Depending on which way you going, with a four wheel drive you can visit some of the most intresting places that you will completely miss if you fly.

My hubby drove from Melbourne to Ayres Rock (through the horrendous – his words – Coober Pedy) and said it was the most boring drive of his life.

But I drove the other way from Three Ways down to Alice etc...and there were a number of interesting sites along the way.

At least if you drive you can camp at some good free places along the way.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:47 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Yep drove from Perth to Cairns a few years ago in January!!! Camped in the desert!!!. The 46C heat took its toll though!! Took in all the sights in the middle....ayers rock was magnificent...very spiritual, however, the Olgas were also just as impressive!! Took 15 days in total....road trip of my life!! Saw parts of Australia that you would never seen in a plane....I'd highly recommend it....you won't regret it...
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:50 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

and please don't walk up the rock!! Grrrr
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Welshie
and please don't walk up the rock!! Grrrr
Why Grrrrr !!

Please DO walk up the rock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.