Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone discovered a good Indian restaurant in Sydney?

Anyone discovered a good Indian restaurant in Sydney?

Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of
Default Anyone discovered a good Indian restaurant in Sydney?

We are off to Sydney for a week in Feb. I have done a little search on here for Indian restaurants and got a couple of names but was just wondering if there are any more recent recommendations. We'll be staying in North Ryde and it would be just so good to have a good curry while we are there (having given up on Brisbane).
Hopefully, there are a few foodies reading this.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:51 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone discovered a good Indian restaurant in Sydney?

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
We are off to Sydney for a week in Feb. I have done a little search on here for Indian restaurants and got a couple of names but was just wondering if there are any more recent recommendations. We'll be staying in North Ryde and it would be just so good to have a good curry while we are there (having given up on Brisbane).
Nope. Lived here 4yrs and still looking. None of them come close to the UK curries i am used to. The sauces are way too watery and bland. I have tried every restaurant in the Indian quarter of Surry Hills. Had a couple of ok stuff but wouldnt bother for a repeat visit.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

Oh, how disappointing! We were so hopeful of getting one in Sydney. A real shame. Maybe we should plan a trip to Melbourne next.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I think it's a cultural thing. What you deem a good UK curry is probably nothing like what they eat in India. I know that Indian friends here say that NZ'ers like their food much spicier and more "sour" than they would ever eat it in India. If a restaurant prides themselves in authenticity they may not cater for the UK palate. On the other hand they may just be catering for the Aussie palate. Maybe someone needs to start a Great Pommy Curry food chain.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I found that Aus curries tend to be 'herbier' and not as spicy as those in the UK.

Next time I go for one I'm tempted to ask the waiter if they can make it a little more spicy. I'm quite happy to have an 'Indian strength' one.

Still, problem is that 'spicer' is just a comparative term rather than a sliding scale. I've haven't figured out how to ask for something spicey but won't be 99% chilli powder.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

dmpp will become famous soon enough

We actually had a really nice Indian curry at a place called "Zaaffran" [url](www.zaaffran.com) which is on Darling Harbour if you venture over that way.

What was also nice was that they recommended dishes depending on your sensitivity to spicey food which was very useful to me as I always go for mild
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough

Oh, how disappointing! We were so hopeful of getting one in Sydney. A real shame. Maybe we should plan a trip to Melbourne next.

There is a nice curry restaurant in Balmain called The Indian Palace. They do a nice butter chicken but sadly nothing like the curry you would get in the UK. I'm still looking. Maybe this would be a good business idea, to start a UK curry restaurant. I'd love to know the secret ingredients so I could make it myself.

There is a nice curry restaurant in Melbourne in The Docks (city). Again, nothing like the UK but the food is fantastic and fresh.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:26 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Nine months in and I've yet to have one I'm desperate to have again. I'm not even particularly looking for an English curry - I'm more used to South Indian cuisine.

This one at St Leonards (not too far from North Ryde) is not bad; unusual dishes. http://www.nilgiris.com.au/

This one is passable, also not too far away: http://www.malabarcuisine.com.au/
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:06 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Nine months in and I've yet to have one I'm desperate to have again. I'm not even particularly looking for an English curry - I'm more used to South Indian cuisine.

This one at St Leonards (not too far from North Ryde) is not bad; unusual dishes. http://www.nilgiris.com.au/

This one is passable, also not too far away: http://www.malabarcuisine.com.au/
I think the only difference here is that the Aussie curry houses do not have crimson red flock wallpaper

edit - did you try the Grace of India in Milsons Point yet?

also try www.eatability.com.au for customer reviews of restaurants - may be of use...
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:13 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich
I think the only difference here is that the Aussie curry houses do not have crimson red flock wallpaper

edit - did you try the Grace of India in Milsons Point yet?

also try www.eatability.com.au for customer reviews of restaurants - may be of use...
Hmmm, I do recall you telling me about that one and we haven't eaten there but I think The Geek went for takeaway one evening. Will check with him. Of course food never at its best once it's been carried home.

Have you been to the one at the top of the steps on Lavender St? Keep meaning to try that one.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:18 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Hmmm, I do recall you telling me about that one and we haven't eaten there but I think The Geek went for takeaway one evening. Will check with him. Of course food never at its best once it's been carried home.

Have you been to the one at the top of the steps on Lavender St? Keep meaning to try that one.
Nah - not tried that one...

I must confess to not being a huge curry-aholic in the UK, so what I consider to be a nice curry may not be up to the standards some think a UK one is at.... (or do people have rose tinted specs about this matter )

I am a man of simple tastes
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:27 am
Auntie Fa

Well if I need a fix I can always go to Garfish - they do a mean Prawn Curry.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:33 am
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point

Indian Restaurants are categorically not as good in Australia as they are in the UK. Full-stop. Don't bother trying to find a great Indian Restaurant in Australia as they don't exist. You'll just be 'making do'. It doesn't matter what city you're in either from what I'm told. Melbourne is rubbish if you want a good Indian meal. Believe me, I've tried.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:41 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

The best Indain by far(i'm a curry snob) that i have had. Is from a Place called Bombay to Maroubra in Maroubra. I belive they also have one on Bondi. Best Indain by far. The vindaloo has a decent kick not too hot but not just hot for the sake of being hot. They also do a Balti which as you know not all places do these. They dont seem to have a website. But their number is 93445630 or Bondi 91301233. Some mixed reviews here.

http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydn.../#user_reviews

BTW butter chicken is just not real Indian.IMHO
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by camponotus
Indian Restaurants are categorically not as good in Australia as they are in the UK. Full-stop. Don't bother trying to find a great Indian Restaurant in Australia as they don't exist. You'll just be 'making do'. It doesn't matter what city you're in either from what I'm told. Melbourne is rubbish if you want a good Indian meal. Believe me, I've tried.

Thanks for your sweeping generalisation of Indian cuisine. Can you cast your thoughts over Chinese and Italian next, oh and what about Macdonalds worse or better in your most humble opinion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.