Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone decide to rent their UK house out

Anyone decide to rent their UK house out

Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all
Default Anyone decide to rent their UK house out

Rather than sell it?

I didn't want to do this, but it looks like the way to go. Anyone else go down this route?

Any tips or guidence?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:49 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone decide to rent their UK house out

Lots of people - do a search......

We have, got all the way down the line and are moving out next week, shippers are booked. Turns out the estate agents are lying TW##S and its all fell through :curse:. So we are vetting other estate agents today and need to find tennants asap.

Luckily we are staying with relatives until end of September...

Good luck, you cant have any more trouble than we have.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

nicgrace will become famous soon enoughnicgrace will become famous soon enough

I think with the market you may be best renting it out......if you can afford it that is.

We may have to do the same but if it doesnt sell maybe drop the payments to interest only till it sells?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

We did, our tenants moved in 1st August and we are presently living with the MIL. Working out OK - most of the time .

Rent pays for mortgage, rates and rental agents fee - JUST

We hope to sell sometime next year when the housng market picks up.

Lynn xx
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:59 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by the4ofus
Rent pays for mortgage, rates and rental agents fee - JUST
rates ???? what rates do we have to pay?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we are going to rent our house out, I have been a LL for 19years in the UK.

Get a good letting agent and treat your tenants well. 90% of tenants are great.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

We are renting out too.

We do have someone who wants to buy our house so are very lucky but they can't sell theirs - so not so lucky. Instead of waiting and still being in the same position in 6 months time we have decided to rent and go.

Fingers crossed we can get someone in before Nov. Estate agent said that they don't have any houses to rent on books for longer than 8 weeks at the moment.

What rates do you have to pay? We have been told by Nationwide that you need at least £150k profit in house before you can change to interest only.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:02 pm
mmmmmm duff

Originally Posted by Burkins
What rates do you have to pay? We have been told by Nationwide that you need at least £150k profit in house before you can change to interest only.
do you mean £150K equity?

If so thats rubbish, I only had about 5-10K, I owe £150K

Coventry Building society were more than helpful, they couldn't find a suitable buy to let mortgage for me, so they just made my current mortgage interest only and left it at 5.6% for the next 2 years.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

sprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nice
Smile Re: Anyone decide to rent their UK house out

Hi
We have been in Brisbane 9 months and we are renting out our house in the uk. We rent it through whitegates and they have been great. They found us a tenant with a week and sorted everything for us. We changed our morgage to interest only and nothing was mentioned about having to have equity in it. We also dont have to pay rates as we are not living there. The tenant has to pay the rates.
Hope this helps
shelley
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I'm renting my place in London out making abour 500gbp profit per month before deducting all allowable expenses (which is going into my vulture fund). Just got new tennants after having the same people for the last 2 years. It ony took 1 week to find them and got a 30gbp per week increase in rent out of them.