Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anybody going or gone over without a job

Anybody going or gone over without a job

Old Oct 26th 2008, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all
Default Anybody going or gone over without a job

Hi again

I would just like to know if families have gone over and neither of you have had a job until you got there? How long did it take you to get a job and how did you feel? How much cash did you take with you?
Old Oct 26th 2008, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anybody going or gone over without a job

Originally Posted by Capt Emz I Think
Hi again

I would just like to know if families have gone over and neither of you have had a job until you got there? How long did it take you to get a job and how did you feel? How much cash did you take with you?

We leave for Adelaide today and neither of us have jobs but as OH is a hairdresser and I work in Child care we are hoping we will be ok

Good luck
Old Oct 26th 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

tonyman has a spectacular aura abouttonyman has a spectacular aura abouttonyman has a spectacular aura about

We're also planning to go to Oz without employment prior to our departure.... on the other hand our plan is to find work but eventually open our own business.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 6:56 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again

You should take comfort in the fact that the vast majority of people dont arrive with jobs. We did just fine.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

tonyman has a spectacular aura abouttonyman has a spectacular aura abouttonyman has a spectacular aura about

I figured that the majority arrive without jobs.....that is nice to know - although we're not too worried about it.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Centurion
You should take comfort in the fact that the vast majority of people dont arrive with jobs. We did just fine.
so did we, dont worry about it!
x
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud of

As the other posts have mentioned, most of us came out here with no job, nowhere to live, no furniture etc. We have been here a year next week and have everything we need now. So don't worry about it everything will fall into place.

Allyson
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

We havent got jobs.. yet.. need to get one pretty soon as we are living off our savings..

Saying that, we have both decided on a change of career and maybe starting something up ourselves?

Em x
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:04 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again

I took plenty of cash,no job, no car no rental.

Found a job within a week, moved in rental brought cars etc, did everything within 10 days. Took over a year to settle though.

The feeling was great, no debt, no responsibility, except for the children.

It's good that you are just free to do as you please, but having money makes that happen, if you have it, then no rush to find work.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:05 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Brisben
I took plenty of cash,no job, no car no rental.

Found a job within a week, moved in rental brought cars etc, did everything within 10 days. Took over a year to settle though.
Same here, took us about a week to sort everything out - bloody hard work and a lot of time spent just hanging around with a irritable toddler while DH was at interviews but totally worth it.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:09 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again

We took 7,000 (UK pounds), we didnt have a job. Mr PP got a job after about 4 days (I think), I got a job after a month once we had moved to Fremantle.

Scary and that is for sure.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

This making me feel soooooo much happier - except now for the fact that the Australian Gov might be cutting back the amount of migrants it lets in (by about 50,000 - I think)- due to this lovely economy crisis that we have!!!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:06 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Emz,

we came over without jobs, oh got his job in 10days...hes a toolmaker.
im still biding my time regarding a job - but TAFE is looking hot fav...
if you want to go into training here - anywhere not just adelaide you need to do your cert iv - its easy enough.
your hub will get a job over here no probs -

try seek/careerone etc as to where the majority of jobs are.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We came with no jobs and about $30k AUD and 2 kids in tow. I had an interview the day after we landed and started work 3 days after the interview. My husband, who's skills we came over on, could not find work for 9 months. We finally had to move interstate in order for him to get work and when we arrived in Perth we had a grand total of $12 in our bank account.