Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?

Wikiposts

Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?

Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:31 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?

Originally Posted by spartacus
. . . now you're putting words in my mouth . . .
you did that too? I didn't realise he was like that
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Brissie hasnt even had a hot summer for at least 4 years.

One of the worst that was mega hot started with a winter just like this, short, very dry and not very cold, heat started early, that year was sept, this year was august

I am happy as hell today, its grey cool and odd shower. I am comfortable, i can wear nice clothes I can breathe All 35 degrees in winter means to me is hell is its way and its called summer.

However I have already planned my escape for 6 weeks, roll on drizzly old UK and do me a nice freezing cold winter

BTW in the hot 'winter' weather we just had, saw 4 snakes around the house, a small brown, 2 harmless tree snakes and an almost 2 metre long brown, nobody stuck aroudnd to measure it!! Snakes dont usually worry me, but admit that one did.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alfresco
It certainly does work on southern african mozzies. I and my family can vouch for that - just checked with wifey. Garlic works!

Dunno about Ozzie mozzies though!

We also used to buy a light mozzie spray with a nice fragrance which you spray on in the early evening (at dusk) and we were fine.

http://www.garlic-central.com/mosquito.html

Mozzies can be dealt with!!!

Edit: Just to add: Eating and cooking with garlic alone helps repel them quite effectively. French or Italian style cooking. Mmmmm.
The mozzies and midges I have encountered are totally oblivious to Garlic.

We do use mozzie spray, but I do worry that liberally applying poison to my skin 7 days a week will have some unsavoury results in years to come.

I am living in hope that the combination of a/c, fans and living in a highset home will result in a bearable summer. The rental we were in had low ceilings and did not get one iota of a breeze. Just ridiculously hot (more days than I care to remember when the temperature on the inside thermometer was over 45degrees).

Thanks for the words of encouragement ;-)

Last edited by dejags; Aug 30th 2009 at 2:06 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Some people voluntarily live in Australia and bitch and moan about hot and/or humid weather?

What the f**k is that all about?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Some people voluntarily live in Australia and bitch and moan about hot and/or humid weather?

What the f**k is that all about?
Of course I live voluntarily in Australia. As a matter of fact I absolutely love the place and wouldn't leave for the world.

This thread was intended to be slightly tongue in cheek. Lighten up for heavens sake!

Does every thread have to have a greater meaning and contribute to the greater good of humankind? (joke...)
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:17 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dejags

Does every thread have to have a greater meaning and contribute to the greater good of humankind?
That is my intention with every one of my posts
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Does every thread have to have a greater meaning and contribute to the greater good of humankind? (joke...)
Yes
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Yes . .

. . . my aim is to imbue each keystroke with the milk of human kindness . .
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
That is my intention with every one of my posts
Well you are a better person than I .

I love a bit of meaningless twitter
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Brissie hasnt even had a hot summer for at least 4 years.

One of the worst that was mega hot started with a winter just like this, short, very dry and not very cold, heat started early, that year was sept, this year was august

I am happy as hell today, its grey cool and odd shower. I am comfortable, i can wear nice clothes I can breathe All 35 degrees in winter means to me is hell is its way and its called summer.

However I have already planned my escape for 6 weeks, roll on drizzly old UK and do me a nice freezing cold winter

BTW in the hot 'winter' weather we just had, saw 4 snakes around the house, a small brown, 2 harmless tree snakes and an almost 2 metre long brown, nobody stuck aroudnd to measure it!! Snakes dont usually worry me, but admit that one did.
The sky is falling - the sky is falling. Love ya mate, really.

Listen to this woman!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 8:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't rely on air con, you will never acclimatise. Open windows and doors and keep screens shut and put fans on. I love the SEQLD climate but know that in the four years we've been here we've not had a HOT summer yet. No one can tell someone else how they will cope, it's another one of those 'one man's meat is another man's poison'. I've spoken to people who thought they were going to die from heatstroke last summer, I thought it was relatively mild. However this winter and even tonight, I've been frozen and my 14 year old has barely been out of shorts and singlets. I'm just waiting for the water to heat up to have a really hot bath
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:18 pm
ABCDiamond

It was flaming cold today though, horrible weather !!

Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:29 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

People seem to be getting Brisbane confused with Darwin again!!

There really is always a whole lot of exaggerating about how hot it is in Brisbane -2003/4 was definitely the hottest summer in the last 5 years and there were definitely not weeks on end of 35C 99.2% humidity days!

Last time this came up I did dig out some numbers from BOM (can't be arsed again) and going back to 2000 there wasn't a single January with an average maximum above 31C (in Brisbane) - all were in the range 26C to 31C I think.

As for 95% humidity - maybe, but only if it's raining! In which case it'd probably not be 35C.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

I love and adore Brisbane - it's an absolute keeper for us. Having said that I despise the summer.

HOT
MOSQUITOES
HOT
MOSQUITOES
HUMID
HOT
HOT

This will be our second summer. Last year, we lived in the rental from hell (no aircon/fans/insulation). This year we have A/C in the living room, full insulation and fans throughout.

Please tell me that it will be better and that I will get used to it ....
You're in Brissy ya woose. Come up the coast then you can whinge about the heat.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by framac67
You're in Brissy ya woose. Come up the coast then you can whinge about the heat.

I, on the other hand, do not complain about the cold. I thought it was a beautiful day today. I wore a singlet, skirt and thongs and have only just put on a sweater as it is the tiniest bit cold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.