Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?

Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?

Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Question Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?

I love and adore Brisbane - it's an absolute keeper for us. Having said that I despise the summer.

HOT
MOSQUITOES
HOT
MOSQUITOES
HUMID
HOT
HOT

This will be our second summer. Last year, we lived in the rental from hell (no aircon/fans/insulation). This year we have A/C in the living room, full insulation and fans throughout.

Please tell me that it will be better and that I will get used to it ....
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?

Originally Posted by dejags
I love and adore Brisbane - it's an absolute keeper for us. Having said that I despise the summer.

HOT
MOSQUITOES
HOT
MOSQUITOES
HUMID
HOT
HOT

This will be our second summer. Last year, we lived in the rental from hell (no aircon/fans/insulation). This year we have A/C in the living room, full insulation and fans throughout.

You've just had a perfect summer (winter) and now you want another one - greedy

I can't wait for summer so I find it hard to relate A/C will make a big difference as will a properly screened house to keep the mossies out. I do think its toughest for the first few years as living in any climate takes time to adjust your house, clothes, habits to meet, and become used to, the climate. As a migrant you often start off in a crappy rental with no a/c, wearing the wrong clothes, going out at the wrong time of day, doing things that no local would.

Anyway its not even spring yet, you have 3 months of glorious spring first.

Summer is time to put on the shorts 24/7, relax, live life slower and next to water and pretend everyday is a holiday even when you're off to work I love the different smell it has, the storms and the feeling of holidays it always gives me. My favourite smell is Aeroguard mossie repellent - the memories/feeling it gives me...I love it...

When I first went to a cold climate I was sweating like buggery until I got an English girlfriend who told me the boiler shouldn't be on all day - what did I know

If you still don't like the summer then just label the brisbane autumn, winter and spring as summer and call summer winter - that way you will just have to put up with a too hot winter (summer) and your perfect daytime summer will last 9 months.

Oooow-just had our first flash of lightening-finally we might get some rain overnight-my grass has gone all crispy....

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 30th 2009 at 2:10 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

It's RAINING - this hotter than normal Autumn has tricked nature into giving us a storm - yeaahhh!!!!!!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh bugger, it's stopped...nature's not so stupid after all
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

HOT
MOSQUITOES
HOT
MOSQUITOES
HUMID
HOT
HOT

I'm glad to see there are no flies on that list. Tell me it's true.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I'm glad to see there are no flies on that list. Tell me it's true.
Haven't we already told you - our mossies eat the flies.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Haven't we already told you - our mossies eat the flies.
I love mozzies then!

Seriously, back home we just took garlic capsules or ate fresh or cooked garlic quite a lot and the mozzies don't come near you.

Mozzies =
Flies =
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I love mozzies then!

Seriously, back home we just took garlic capsules or ate fresh or cooked garlic quite a lot and the mozzies don't come near you.

Mozzies =
Flies =
Does garlic really work. The mozzies love me, that is one thing I am not looking forward to
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Love to, but I'd be lying......

So, sorry, it doesn't get better and you don't get used to it
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by louise
Does garlic really work. The mozzies love me, that is one thing I am not looking forward to
It certainly does work on southern african mozzies. I and my family can vouch for that - just checked with wifey. Garlic works!

Dunno about Ozzie mozzies though!

We also used to buy a light mozzie spray with a nice fragrance which you spray on in the early evening (at dusk) and we were fine.

http://www.garlic-central.com/mosquito.html

Mozzies can be dealt with!!!

Edit: Just to add: Eating and cooking with garlic alone helps repel them quite effectively. French or Italian style cooking. Mmmmm.

Last edited by Alfresco; Aug 30th 2009 at 4:11 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 8:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The little black biting midges are far worse than the mossies.....and nothing seems to deter them
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:17 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Some people ar enever happy, wet and cold in the UK - Moan. Hot and humid in Australia - Moan.

I love the climate here and the compromise, big biting insects...Oh well.

Bring on the summer, days at the beach swimming in the sea, surfing, swimming in the pool on a saturday afternoon..

Bring it on
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:26 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

HOT
MOSQUITOES
HOT
MOSQUITOES
HUMID
HOT
HOT

well if you're complaining after spending only 2 summers here it is only going to get worse. I think the last 4 years have been pretty tame really. There were a few summers around 5-6 years ago where it really was unbearable (42/43 degrees and 95% humidity). At the time we were living in units and we witnessed people going nuts through lack of sleep at night due to the heat. One neigbour attacked the other with an axe and it wasn't a bad suburb!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:28 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben

Bring on the summer, days at the beach swimming in the sea, surfing, swimming in the pool on a saturday afternoon..
...scantilly clad women
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not "dreading" summer but I am a little anxious... It's our first summer.

We're having aircon fitted and we have a pool so fingers crossed it should be bearable, but I'm expecting a baby at the start of December so November might be a bit uncomfortable for me and then December I'll have a newborn and a toddler to worry about overheating!

How do kids cope? I'm worried about the little ones, when we arrived at the start of March my son who was 7 months got heat rash all over his belly and back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.