Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?

Wikiposts

Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?

Old Aug 30th 2009, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
haha. Yeah I must admit, those swampy mangroves get me too. I mean, who would want to live here?
Attachment 84652

Attachment 84653
What can be done with a computer and a bit of know-how . . . never ceases to amaze me . .
Old Aug 30th 2009, 12:59 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
What can be done with a computer and a bit of know-how . . . never ceases to amaze me . .
....still The Gap has its own water features.

This one was taken 18 months ago. That water looks so inviting. Not to mention the local caravan park
Attached Thumbnails Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?-gap.jpg  
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:08 pm
ABCDiamond

....alternatively move to a suburb near the sea where you get beautiful sea breezes, like Redcliffe or Bayside
The highest we reached last summer, in breezy Bayside, (using the Alex Hills Weather station) was 33.9°C in January. Almost 10°C less than Brisbane, by the sounds of it.

Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:11 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The highest we reached last summer, in breezy Bayside, (using the Alex Hills Weather station) was 33.9°C in January. Almost 10°C less than Brisbane, by the sounds of it.
I don't know about you, but it rarely gets that humid in Redcliffe, maybe because of the breeze. I find that in summer we are generally 3-4 degrees cooler than Brisbane and in winter the same amount again but warmer

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Aug 30th 2009 at 1:14 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:12 pm
ABCDiamond

This beach one at Cleveland isn't altered.

Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:15 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

oh enough of the silliness - nowhere got very hot last summer - it was a summer that didnt happen.... we havent topped 40C for probably 4 or 5 years now.... (<picture ABCD furiously search statistics now to disprove me> )

The reality is there *are* unpleasant days in Brisbane where you just want to stay in the air con and hide. BUT are there any more of these than there were days in the UK where you dont venture outside with the heating on because its too wet, windy, too cold? No - of course not.... so you'll end up ahead.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:15 pm
ABCDiamond

I don't know about you, but it rarely gets that humid in Redcliffe, maybe because of the breeze. I find that in summer we are generally 3-4 degrees cooler and in winter the same amount again but warmer
To be absolutely honest, we use the air con a lot less here, then we did when we lived in Western Sydney.

I hate the cold, and I am not over keen on too much heat. But I am pretty content where I am now.

Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

This beach one at Cleveland isn't altered.
http://www.abcdiamond.com/gallery/al...ach%2001v2.JPG
Neither's this one . . .

CHOMP!

Last edited by spartacus; Aug 30th 2009 at 1:21 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DadAgain
oh enough of the silliness - nowhere got very hot last summer - it was a summer that didnt happen.... we havent topped 40C for probably 4 or 5 years now.... (<picture ABCD furiously search statistics now to disprove me> )
But it was you that mentioned the 43°C, scaring people away

Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:19 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

To be absolutely honest, we use the air con a lot less here, then we did when we lived in Western Sydney.

I hate the cold, and I am not over keen on too much heat. But I am pretty content where I am now.
over the last 5 years (since we have been living in Redcliffe) we have probably used the air con no more than 4-5 days a year and even then we would only have it on for about 3-4 hours during the hottest part of the day. Nothing to do with being green or saving money, we just don't generally feel it necessary. If I get hot, I just strip down to my shorts, simple
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:19 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

did you really catch one that big?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Insinc
I not not getting a great impression of Brisbane here.
People adapt differently to the differences, so it may be an individual thing.

Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

did you really catch one that big?
Unfortunately like most things in life, it didn't look quite so big when I had it in my hand . . . unless you're Jeremy Beadle of course . . .
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:25 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Unfortunately like most things in life, it didn't look quite so big when I had it in my hand . . . unless you're Jeremy Beadle of course . . .
are you saying you've held Jeremy Beadle's knob in your hand?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

are you saying you've held Jeremy Beadle's knob in your hand?
. . . now you're putting words in my mouth . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.