Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?

Wikiposts

Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?

Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
I'm not "dreading" summer but I am a little anxious... It's our first summer.

We're having aircon fitted and we have a pool so fingers crossed it should be bearable, but I'm expecting a baby at the start of December so November might be a bit uncomfortable for me and then December I'll have a newborn and a toddler to worry about overheating!

How do kids cope? I'm worried about the little ones, when we arrived at the start of March my son who was 7 months got heat rash all over his belly and back
No clothes and spray them with water to cool them down every now and again -they love it!!!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
No clothes and spray them with water to cool them down every now and again -they love it!!!
I DO I DO!!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:29 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have summer. We have a wet season, which is essentially our winter. In effect the time of year when you don't want to be doing too much outside.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:35 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
I'm not "dreading" summer but I am a little anxious... It's our first summer.

We're having aircon fitted and we have a pool so fingers crossed it should be bearable, but I'm expecting a baby at the start of December so November might be a bit uncomfortable for me and then December I'll have a newborn and a toddler to worry about overheating!

How do kids cope? I'm worried about the little ones, when we arrived at the start of March my son who was 7 months got heat rash all over his belly and back
With newborns at that time of the year we used to just put a nappy on them, with a singlet then wrap them in a muslin wrap.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:36 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Theres no doubt that summer in Brisbane can be oppressive. This will be my 12th summer and although I've gotten used to them I still have days where I swear at myself for living in such a stupid climate! I'll agree the last couple of years have been pretty tame, but some of my first years were intense. 43C a couple of years back may have been hot (like standing in front of a fan-forced oven)- but its the weeks of 37C and high hummidity that get you, not the freak high-temp spikes that are usualy accompanied by dry westerly winds.

Overall it can be managed though by following a few simple rules:

1) Dont do ANYTHING energetic in daylight between November and March. If you need to get 1km down the road DRIVE, or take a bus. Dont walk (particularly if there are any hills involved)

2) If you need to shop - go to a 'proper' indoor mall (Chermside, Indro', Carindale etc etc ) - stay away from CBD where you have to walk outside from time to time.

3) Got to the cinema! Sitting still for a few hours in pleasant coolness can be a great way to unwind.

4) Dont be afraid to sleep with air-con on. If your house or unit is a hot one, leaving the air-con ticking over all night will keep you sane. Yes it might cost you a bit (our electricity bill is usualy about $300-400 more for the summer qtr than any other) - but $400 a year extra to guarantee sleep is well worth it!

5) Enjoy the storms! Brisbane has some fantastic afternoon storms. Watching the radar on the BOM website and feeling the relief as the days storm rolls over and clears the air is one of lifes joys. The lightening and hail shows can be some of the most genuinely awesome displays you'll see. Strolling around just after a storm while the air is still cool and watching the ground steam is great. Exciting stuff and I never tire of it.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:53 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Theres no doubt that summer in Brisbane can be oppressive. This will be my 12th summer and although I've gotten used to them I still have days where I swear at myself for living in such a stupid climate! I'll agree the last couple of years have been pretty tame, but some of my first years were intense. 43C a couple of years back may have been hot (like standing in front of a fan-forced oven)- but its the weeks of 37C and high hummidity that get you, not the freak high-temp spikes that are usualy accompanied by dry westerly winds.

Overall it can be managed though by following a few simple rules:

1) Dont do ANYTHING energetic in daylight between November and March. If you need to get 1km down the road DRIVE, or take a bus. Dont walk (particularly if there are any hills involved)

2) If you need to shop - go to a 'proper' indoor mall (Chermside, Indro', Carindale etc etc ) - stay away from CBD where you have to walk outside from time to time.

3) Got to the cinema! Sitting still for a few hours in pleasant coolness can be a great way to unwind.

4) Dont be afraid to sleep with air-con on. If your house or unit is a hot one, leaving the air-con ticking over all night will keep you sane. Yes it might cost you a bit (our electricity bill is usualy about $300-400 more for the summer qtr than any other) - but $400 a year extra to guarantee sleep is well worth it!

5) Enjoy the storms! Brisbane has some fantastic afternoon storms. Watching the radar on the BOM website and feeling the relief as the days storm rolls over and clears the air is one of lifes joys. The lightening and hail shows can be some of the most genuinely awesome displays you'll see. Strolling around just after a storm while the air is still cool and watching the ground steam is great. Exciting stuff and I never tire of it.
....alternatively move to a suburb near the sea where you get beautiful sea breezes, like Redcliffe or Bayside
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise
Does garlic really work. The mozzies love me, that is one thing I am not looking forward to
The mozzies here even bite through my jeans - can't believe it
Old Aug 30th 2009, 12:02 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by The Crow
The mozzies here even bite through my jeans - can't believe it
I think your body adapts. When I first arrived I made the mistake of playing tennis in the bush at night. It was floodlit, but because we were the only light in a 20km radius we used ot get all the bugs swarming towards us. Anyway I didn't bother putting on the repellent as I couldn't stand the smell of it. I got completely devoured. I had one particular bite on my calf that was litterally the size of my calf muscle and looked more like a massive welt. It was really painful and meant I couldn't walk on it for about a week.
For the first 5 years the mozzies loved me, but it seems these days they just leave me alone. Either that or my body has learned not to react to it.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 12:10 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
....alternatively move to a suburb near the sea where you get beautiful sea breezes, like Redcliffe or Bayside
and spend *how many* hours a week crammed on public transport crawling into the city? no thanks!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Insinc will become famous soon enoughInsinc will become famous soon enough

I not not getting a great impression of Brisbane here.

My OH is having an interview for a job that will bring us there if he is offered the position. I'll have to start trolling threads to find out where is better to live, what is a must have (like AC & fans) what to avoid...oh crap

For anyone who's lived in Perth & is now in Brissie, in your opinion is it better or worse for climate?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I think your body adapts. When I first arrived I made the mistake of playing tennis in the bush at night. It was floodlit, but because we were the only light in a 20km radius we used ot get all the bugs swarming towards us. Anyway I didn't bother putting on the repellent as I couldn't stand the smell of it. I got completely devoured. I had one particular bite on my calf that was litterally the size of my calf muscle and looked more like a massive welt. It was really painful and meant I couldn't walk on it for about a week.
For the first 5 years the mozzies loved me, but it seems these days they just leave me alone. Either that or my body has learned not to react to it.
I live in hope then
Old Aug 30th 2009, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

and spend *how many* hours a week crammed on public transport crawling into the city? no thanks!
. . . and the place is wick with mossies and midgies eminating from the mangrove swamps the locals call 'beaches' . . .
Old Aug 30th 2009, 12:35 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

I wouldn't know, don't catch public transport. I drive in, which generally takes me 45mins in and an hour home.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 12:38 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

"Whilst summer maximum average temperates generally linger around 30C, the summer months have some extremely hot days. Sunscreen, hats and protective clothing is essential in Brisbane throughout summer and is highly advised throughout the year.."

If the above is true when it does get hot sit back and repeat 'At least I'm not in Houston', 'At least I'm not in Houston'. Seriously I don't remember a day below 35C since the beginning of June and it probably won't let up until the end of September ! My grass in now a lovely shade I like to call 'urine yellow' and I drive my car to the mailbox rather than coming back looking as though I just walked through a car wash.

Saying that tonight's low should be around 23C so I might go out and howl at the moon or something.

My sympathies are with you !
Old Aug 30th 2009, 12:43 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by spartacus
. . . and the place is wick with mossies and midgies eminating from the mangrove swamps the locals call 'beaches' . . .
haha. Yeah I must admit, those swampy mangroves get me too. I mean, who would want to live here?
Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?-redcliffe1.jpg

Anybody else dreading the summer (Brissy/QLD)?-redcliffe2.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.