Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

ANY WINDOWS/IT/LAPTOP EXPERTS HERE?

ANY WINDOWS/IT/LAPTOP EXPERTS HERE?

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 2:46 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default ANY WINDOWS/IT/LAPTOP EXPERTS HERE?

Hi I have a problem with my laptop, I was going to take it to work tomorrow for the IT guy to look at but don't want to look like an idiot if there is a simple fix.

On Friday morning before I went to work I used the shut down button or maybe it was the log off, anyway when I came home on Friday night the Windows Vista screen was still showing with the words Logging Off and the little thingie scrolling around in the middle.

I have tried everything switching off, switching on, disconnecting the lead and letting the power run down. Taking the battery out and putting it back in. Even tried to run a DVD to see if this would make it "kick in." It has now been constantly running like this since Saturday morning........and it hasn't logged off at all.

There is no manual to read as it's on the laptop.........

I have managed to fire up my old PC connecting the ethernet cable as it doesn't have wireless, and here I sit....waiting for a BE expert to tell me to press F6 or some other magic button.

It is a Toshiba Satellite if that is any help.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 23rd 2011 at 2:56 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:31 am
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all
Default Re: ANY WINDOWS/IT/LAPTOP EXPERTS HERE?

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi I have a problem with my laptop, I was going to take it to work tomorrow for the IT guy to look at but don't want to look like an idiot if there is a simple fix.

On Friday morning before I went to work I used the shut down button or maybe it was the log off, anyway when I came home on Friday night the Windows Vista screen was still showing with the words Logging Off and the little thingie scrolling around in the middle.

I have tried everything switching off, switching on, disconnecting the lead and letting the power run down. Taking the battery out and putting it back in. Even tried to run a DVD to see if this would make it "kick in." It has now been constantly running like this since Saturday morning........and it hasn't logged off at all.

There is no manual to read as it's on the laptop.........

I have managed to fire up my old PC connecting the ethernet cable as it doesn't have wireless, and here I sit....waiting for a BE expert to tell me to press F6 or some other magic button.

It is a Toshiba Satellite if that is any help.
First try booting up in Safe Mode, which may resolve the issue: Switch off the latop, press the F8 key consistently upon bootup, this will load to Windows giving the options of boot in Safe Mode, select this option and Windows should load in a low state, then try a reboot in regular vista mode to see if it loads correctly.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

scracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant future

It physically CANT do this if you've disconnected both the battery and the power lead simultaneously. I suspect your power button is putting it into sleep mode instead of switching it off.

OK. Take the battery out.
Unplug power cable.
Plug in power cable. Switch on.
It might try and resume a hibernate so when windoze begins to load, disconnect the power.
Plug in power cable. Switch on.
Should be an option to "delete restore data and proceed" or summit.
Select it (arrow keys and enter) and hopefully bob's your uncle.

Failing that, tap away at F8 on the bootup. Select safe mode. It should boot up (will look a bit funny). Shutdown and restart and hopefully it should start ok.

Failing that, pop in your original toshy disk or the recovery disk you've created (you did create the recovery disk when it asked you didn't you ). Otherwise steal a mate's disk or download one on your old PC. Power up the machine and tap the F12 (usually it's F12 on toshy) key. Select CD/DVD and follow the instructions to "repair your computer".

Failing that, take it to a geek who knows what they're doing.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:56 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Failing that, buy a mac.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 4:28 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH.

All is well and has been retored, BE has been such a lifesaver to me at times, and today is one of them.

And sorry Polly for posting in The Barbie I only just found out there was a tech part.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 4:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH.

All is well and has been retored, BE has been such a lifesaver to me at times, and today is one of them.

And sorry Polly for posting in The Barbie I only just found out there was a tech part.
Thats OK, I'm glad its fixed - I was about to move you to the lab then i found you're sorted anyway
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats OK, I'm glad its fixed - I was about to move you to the lab then i found you're sorted anyway
Why? Don't think there is any intelligence left in the Barbie???
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 4:38 am
Home Sweet Home

Thanks Polly I didn't think, just knew there would be others around in the same time zone.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:02 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Why? Don't think there is any intelligence left in the Barbie???
No, cos usually thats where the experts hang out I'm giving up on being helpful, sick of being criticised for it.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

No, cos usually thats where the experts hang out I'm giving up on being helpful, sick of being criticised for it.
Sorry wasn't being serious.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 11:40 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Failing that, buy a mac.
You win the Predictable FanBoy Poster Not Contributing One Iota award for this thread.

This will get added to your total and may earn you a set of ergonomically fine but overpriced steak knives at the end of the year.

(posted from my iThing which means even if I wanted to karma you, I couldn't )
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 2:53 pm
Home and Happy

Sorry wasn't being serious.
No problem, seriously bad day thats all Got any jobs going?
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:07 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Any good at mowing lawns? With constant rain for months my grass is growing so fast I can hear it pushing out of the ground. Perhaps a couple of times a week?
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wish I did. I'm doing 'Plan B' myself.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:13 pm
Home Sweet Home

I wish I did. I'm doing 'Plan B' myself.
Me too, it's called The Great Escape!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.