Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

any one actually got job through posting cv b4 leaving uk?

any one actually got job through posting cv b4 leaving uk?

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about
Default any one actually got job through posting cv b4 leaving uk?

The idea of being able to get employment b4 leaving the uk is a very tempting one, has anyone actually posted cv on one of job sites and had successful results? Any advice on securing employment b4 taking the plunge?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: any one actually got job through posting cv b4 leaving uk?

Originally Posted by jollyswagman
The idea of being able to get employment b4 leaving the uk is a very tempting one, has anyone actually posted cv on one of job sites and had successful results? Any advice on securing employment b4 taking the plunge?
Hi, I searched daily for jobs on the net. Found one i liked the look of and contacted the recruitment company who sent me a phone number. I talked to them sent my cv and they arranged an interview in London. After an hour long interview they offered me the job and i said yes please. There has also been a number of people who have had telephone interviews and been offered jobs. Just put your trade or present job in to a search engine and keep looking, it took me about one month to find the job I wanted. Good luck
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your reply, it has really boosted me!! I feel there is a good chance for us now!!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:36 am
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there i have been trawling the local papers for the last 12 months or so and any companies that have been advertising for my trade or similar i have just fired off my resume ( as they call it now ) to them, some dnt reply but thats their loss not mine.

Some of them have replied with very positive results i have to give them a call once we get to Oz and got over the jet lag........then go for an interview tbh hinest i reckon i should have a job within a couple of weeks of getting in Oz.

So i would say fire off your CV to as many places and ppl as you can..........you gotta start laying some foundations.

It could be an idea to get someone to look at your CV and Ozzy it up to what the Ozzys want........thats what i did and its working upto now

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice, did you get a professional c.v? I noticed on Career one they give advice on resume writing!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:13 am
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

I did take a look at career one but i used someone off here who offered to Australinise my CV up for me.

But tbh the first few companies that i sent my CV actually got my UK version and i still got some good results.

What is your trade?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't do much from the UK end - I looked, but didn't apply for anything. However upon arriving I walked in to a job two days after going in to an agency. It helped that I wasn't too fussy, but it was a decent job with training etc.
Be warned that plenty of people struggle to find employment they are happy with, so it can work in the other direction.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:34 am
Account Closed

graz79 is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent my CV to a couple of sites/adverts but got no response.

I then emailed the HR department for the company i worked for (worldwide offices) who offered me a job in Oz. The day i accepted that I got a begging letter for one I had applied to online and discounted due to a lack of response, they were desperate for a developer and would beat any offer etc etc. so it does happen
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

You're probably better off speaking directly to a company with a vacant position as opposed to an agency, and be prepared to have an interview at a time that suits the company, not you.

Recruitment consultants don't like working too hard for their money. Placing candidates into a role before the candidate arrives in the country is generally something for the 'too hard basket'. To be fair to thieving, lying, devious recruitment consultants there's no guarantee that the candidate will arrive into the country, so why not choose somebody who's already here?

Cheers

Steve
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Hiya, i am a brickie by trade, bricklayed for 16 years but have been lucky enough to move over to management side last year, would prefer to do this in Oz as worked in Oz many years ago and it can be hard going on the trowel in the heat!
Finding it difficult to find out if my qualifications will be recognised in Oz??
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, i am a brickie by trade, bricklayed for 16 years but have been lucky enough to move over to management side last year, would prefer to do this in Oz as worked in Oz many years ago and it can be hard going on the trowel in the heat!
Finding it difficult to find out if my qualifications will be recognised in Oz??

Where are you looking at settling? Have you done a skills assessment yet?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Where are you looking at settling? Have you done a skills assessment yet?

OK, just found the answer to that

You need to start by getting your skills assessed. The website is http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?menu=1.3a

There are three parts to the assessment. The first is a self assessment, second is a Paper based Assessment (similar to the TRA trades assessment where you need to provide evidence on your training, work history etc) and the third is a practical assessment.

One you have passed those you can then apply for a visa. I believe once assessed they issue you with an Offshore Technical Record that entitles you to a provisional licence.

You will still need to do some more legwork over here for a full licence though, this will vary depending on which state you are going to. If you let me know which, I'll try to find the info for you
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply your reply and i really appreciate your willingness to help, thats is very good of you, i am looking at Queensland, Brisbane area.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

I did!! I searched Career.com.au sent off my CV to a couple of adverts, had 2 companies telephone interview me and got offered both positions So it does happen. Not sure how often though.....

The one company had their head office in the UK and the manager is from Scotland so this may have helped the other was Australian based.

It is certainly worth trying...

L x
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for your reply your reply and i really appreciate your willingness to help, thats is very good of you, i am looking at Queensland, Brisbane area.

More info than you can shake a stick at here: http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/Build...ngInformation/