Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Any nail Tech's on here

Any nail Tech's on here

Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Any nail Tech's on here

Hi,
Looking for advice!
I quite fancy going mobile as a nail tech, doing acrylic nails, manicures etc.
Do you think there wold be much need for this service.
I know there is a lot of shops with foreign girls doing it, but I have heard they use the worst and cheapest products.
I will have to look into products over here as it is Creative i used bck home.
Any info would be great
Ta
Shabee
x
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:14 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any nail Tech's on here

Originally Posted by shabee
Hi,
Looking for advice!
I know there is a lot of shops with foreign girls doing it, but I have heard they use the worst and cheapest products.
Any info would be great
Ta
Shabee
x
I'm not a nail tech. However, what you're talking about it starting up your own business, which I do know about. Get online and google for 'mobile nail tech, Ormeau' and see what you get.
Check out the yellow pages/pink pages too. You need to find out whether this service is offered where you are, and whether you can offer it better, cheaper, or differently than the shops are doing.

Work out what it would cost to run the business. You need transport, materials, petrol, overheads (storage, rent), telephone, business cards, advertising, ABN... Register your business name, etc. You need to work out your price point and then work out whether it's feasible to do and why people would ask you instead of going to a shop.

Have a look here on the web for small business advice and contact your local chamber of commerce too for ideas.... local council usually has small biz advice or someone you can talk to regarding networking meetings etc.

http://www.business.gov.au/Business+Entry+Point/

Research, research and more research. Find your competitors, contact them and ask for a price list ... And if no-one is doing it, maybe you found a gap in the market or maybe it's because there's no perceived need for it...
If there isn't, create one.

Good luck with your research.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

lainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by shabee
Hi,
Looking for advice!
Any info would be great
Ta
Shabee
x
I would like to take mine nail technician with me, but its not possible been going to her for about 10 years, she did go to Perth for a holiday and checked out the nail situation and was completely different to how she works here in the UK .
Wish you all the best, hope you get up and running for when I come over
Old Nov 7th 2008, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

tonyman has a spectacular aura abouttonyman has a spectacular aura abouttonyman has a spectacular aura about

My wife is a nail tech - she is planning to open a nail shop soon after we move to Oz. We hear that the nail business is very different is Oz.....does anyone know the difference?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I'm not a nail tech. However, what you're talking about it starting up your own business, which I do know about. Get online and google for 'mobile nail tech, Ormeau' and see what you get.
Check out the yellow pages/pink pages too. You need to find out whether this service is offered where you are, and whether you can offer it better, cheaper, or differently than the shops are doing.

Work out what it would cost to run the business. You need transport, materials, petrol, overheads (storage, rent), telephone, business cards, advertising, ABN... Register your business name, etc. You need to work out your price point and then work out whether it's feasible to do and why people would ask you instead of going to a shop.

Have a look here on the web for small business advice and contact your local chamber of commerce too for ideas.... local council usually has small biz advice or someone you can talk to regarding networking meetings etc.

http://www.business.gov.au/Business+Entry+Point/

Research, research and more research. Find your competitors, contact them and ask for a price list ... And if no-one is doing it, maybe you found a gap in the market or maybe it's because there's no perceived need for it...
If there isn't, create one.

Good luck with your research.
Thanks so much for all that, its a great help, I think there is 1 nail tech in Ormeau so there may not be much competition. I will look at that link properly and see what its all about.
x
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:46 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

I have never had my nails done and never will (I like them as I do them!!).

However I do know it is big business in Australia.

I also know that far too many nail technicians use questionable products. So many people I know have had their nails done only to have to go straight back and have everything redone or fixed.

Australia is crying out for decent people to do this work.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by SNH

Really?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SNH
I have never had my nails done and never will (I like them as I do them!!).

However I do know it is big business in Australia.

I also know that far too many nail technicians use questionable products. So many people I know have had their nails done only to have to go straight back and have everything redone or fixed.

Lets hope you are right!

I does make a big difference using a good product.
x
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:48 pm
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

I only ever had my nails done once in a nail bar here in perth got acrylic nail (french manicure) got then takin off after 3 weeks could`nt handle them and omg my own nail were in so bad condition when i got them removed it took them about 8 week getting back to normal. Also the hygenie in the nail bars here is really bad that would be a thing to take a closer look at. I watched a woman getting a pedicure and they used the same clippers as they did on the previous client with out cleaning the clippers
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:54 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Most hairdressers have a nail / beauty section there are also countless nail shops in shopping centres - suggesting to me that most people who want this service are happy to travel to their local shopping centre, thus making it more of an 'experience'. Also are there many mobile hairdressers on the GC? this might suggest that there is no call for your service. Australians retail habits differ quite a bit to that in UK namely they use their local centre rather than travel, are quite loyal to their current stores and often shop most days for what they require that day. Of course I have no evidence to support my theory but I feel that your problem may be establishing a market, advertising, and retaining clients. Try and contact the poster 'Brido' his wife opened a nail shop a while ago.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by irishfamily
I only ever had my nails done once in a nail bar here in perth got acrylic nail (french manicure) got then takin off after 3 weeks could`nt handle them and omg my own nail were in so bad condition when i got them removed it took them about 8 week getting back to normal. Also the hygenie in the nail bars here is really bad that would be a thing to take a closer look at. I watched a woman getting a pedicure and they used the same clippers as they did on the previous client with out cleaning the clippers
Some people just dont like the nails on and they get them taken of after one set, the next has them on for years and years.
The reason your nails were so bad is because they use electric drills. The drills are my pet hate, there really is no need for them. Any decent nail tech will not use one.
As for the hygenie, well that happens in the UK, I could tell you some stories about what I have seen in Beauty salons over the past 20 years.
x

Originally Posted by Carbery
Most hairdressers have a nail / beauty section there are also countless nail shops in shopping centres - suggesting to me that most people who want this service are happy to travel to their local shopping centre, thus making it more of an 'experience'. Also are there many mobile hairdressers on the GC? this might suggest that there is no call for your service. Australians retail habits differ quite a bit to that in UK namely they use their local centre rather than travel, are quite loyal to their current stores and often shop most days for what they require that day. Of course I have no evidence to support my theory but I feel that your problem may be establishing a market, advertising, and retaining clients. Try and contact the poster 'Brido' his wife opened a nail shop a while ago.
Ok thanks for that, I ill contact Brido and see what she thinks.
x
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

tonyman has a spectacular aura abouttonyman has a spectacular aura abouttonyman has a spectacular aura about

What is the average cost for a nail set and/or fill in Oz....?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by tonyman
What is the average cost for a nail set and/or fill in Oz....?
No idea but I do know it's cheaper to grow your own.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

I agree...it is cheaper to grow your own. Thanks anyhow.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by tonyman
I agree...it is cheaper to grow your own. Thanks anyhow.
It's like lettuce and bananas.

Sorry Tony, just joking but seriously have no clue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.