Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Any motorbikers out there

Wikiposts

Any motorbikers out there

Old Jan 20th 2007, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any motorbikers out there

OH planning on getting a bike when we get out there. We were in Melbourne 9years ago and took a spin down the Great Ocean Road, OH can't wait to have another go at it (lots of twisty roads). Melbourne had a load of bike meets, and I'm sure you are aware they hold the MotoGP and the Superbikes there! and I think there is a road fairly lined with bike shops in the city as well. My OH will be very

Dolly
Old Jan 20th 2007, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

mad scots is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by martin4414
Can anyone tell me

What the costs are to buy a motorbike in australia, an R6 would be nice, Would it be cheaper to ship mine out there, ???
Any one done this ???

any legal requirements

whats in like ?? whats the roads like, the roads must be well warm,
must stock up on me knee sliders.

Martin(zxr600)
I will have to mark this thread, my husband is trying to persuade me to let him ship his beloved zx6r over with the rest of our stuff!!!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 6:50 pm
NO1SPARKY!

martin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mad scots
I will have to mark this thread, my husband is trying to persuade me to let him ship his beloved zx6r over with the rest of our stuff!!!
And so he should ! it must be awesome on those roads,all nice and sticky,no need to warm them tyres up like here,
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:00 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin4414
And so he should ! it must be awesome on those roads,all nice and sticky,no need to warm them tyres up like here,
The best way I know of avoiding cops is ride with a group and stay in the middle. It is usually the the last bike or the first bike they pull over.....

ZX......
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:02 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad scots
Please let us know if we can help him in the persuading.....

ZX.....
Old Jan 20th 2007, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
OH planning on getting a bike when we get out there. We were in Melbourne 9years ago and took a spin down the Great Ocean Road, OH can't wait to have another go at it (lots of twisty roads). Melbourne had a load of bike meets, and I'm sure you are aware they hold the MotoGP and the Superbikes there! and I think there is a road fairly lined with bike shops in the city as well. My OH will be very

Dolly
It's Elizabeth Street ...right in the middle of the CBD
Old Jan 21st 2007, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

bigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by stolly
married to a pommie biker, you will have to pay import tax to bring one over, then it has to go over the pits and be inspected, have a look at www.redbook.com.au for bike prices
cheers

stolly
Without question, My Africa Twin will be one of the first things to be packed into the metal container when it arrives, hopefully the end of the year (Can't come soon enough!) Have to pay import tax??? My bike is 02 registration, surely this can't be right...will have to look into this????

Paul
Old Jan 21st 2007, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

mad scots is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigpaul
Without question, My Africa Twin will be one of the first things to be packed into the metal container when it arrives, hopefully the end of the year (Can't come soon enough!) Have to pay import tax??? My bike is 02 registration, surely this can't be right...will have to look into this????

Paul
import tax!! hope not, and after looking at prices of sports bikes on ebay australia, still think it will be cheaper taking it with me. just need to persuade the wive to leave something else behind so i got room in container!! anyone from Adelaide area, now looks like i will be based there for the first 2 years at least. Just want to know if there are regular run outs etc. Looking like we will be moving around July/August time, the sponsorship should be through by then.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

ARGY is an unknown quantity at this point

Iv just sold my R1 but definatly buying another bike out there but snot sure if it'll be another R1! seemed too much hassle with paperwork to take over.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Taking my Ducati and my sons Ducati - not a chance of leaving them at home. If I can't take my bike i ain't going

I have the import forms - just waiting for the visa now.

Ouch Paul
Old Jan 21st 2007, 4:49 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I gave my 2 wheels up a few months back when someone went into the back of me at the light bloody QLD drivers !
Old Jan 21st 2007, 5:04 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a thread from last year about shipping bikes to Oz.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...rcycle+imports

The general concensus is that its not worth the cost and hassle involved.

If you have spent a lot of money on the bike, or its a rare bike, then it can be worth shipping, but after the taxes, shipping costs & getting the bike checked & registered, its not really worth it.

For myself, it was an easy decision, bikes in Holland are a lot dearer than in Oz, and the bike I really want, isn't officially imported to Europe, but it is available in Oz.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 5:06 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
I gave my 2 wheels up a few months back when someone went into the back of me at the light bloody QLD drivers !

Thats bad news to hear. Hope you are Ok.

The one thing i'm hoping, is that there are less numpty's on the roads than here in Holland.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 5:11 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I was fine (just a sore knee and arse) but the bike was a write off.

The drivers here don't seem to understand stopping distance. :curse:

Originally Posted by furkew
Thats bad news to hear. Hope you are Ok.

The one thing i'm hoping, is that there are less numpty's on the roads than here in Holland.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 5:28 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by themerlin
I was fine (just a sore knee and arse) but the bike was a write off.

The drivers here don't seem to understand stopping distance. :curse:
I recently started riding again after a 15 year break, and I must admit, things are quite a bit different compared to back then.

but its still great to just get out on the bike and forget about everything for a couple of hours (even when its bloody cold )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.