Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

any ideas for a nice not-smelly pet?

any ideas for a nice not-smelly pet?

Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

ianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the rough
Default any ideas for a nice not-smelly pet?

We had to give our two bunnies away, they lived outside and in the rotten weather we had for the last 10 months we just didn't get enough time to play with them
I know they will have a much better live where they are now (old man with huge garden. we've got a small garden, two noisy kids, Ians working loads and I'm at uni +work part-time) BUT I do really really miss having them. And also I think that it's nicer for the kids to learn how to look after an animals, they were really good helping me to feed and tidy the rabbits.
So, any suggestions what we could get now to live with us inside, which will give us much more time to interact and play and if possible cuddle? We can't have cats - unfortunately, I'm a big cat lover and Ian spitefully kept his cat allergy a secret until he had lured me to move in with him . Same goes for dogs. And ferrets, we had ferrets before the kids and as lovely and cuddly as they were, the STINK was just awful.
Anyone can comment on guinea pigs or chinchillas? Do they interact a bit? Do they smell?!?! Or other ideas?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all
Default Re: any ideas for a nice not-smelly pet?

Originally Posted by ianandmel
We had to give our two bunnies away, they lived outside and in the rotten weather we had for the last 10 months we just didn't get enough time to play with them
I know they will have a much better live where they are now (old man with huge garden. we've got a small garden, two noisy kids, Ians working loads and I'm at uni +work part-time) BUT I do really really miss having them. And also I think that it's nicer for the kids to learn how to look after an animals, they were really good helping me to feed and tidy the rabbits.
So, any suggestions what we could get now to live with us inside, which will give us much more time to interact and play and if possible cuddle? We can't have cats - unfortunately, I'm a big cat lover and Ian spitefully kept his cat allergy a secret until he had lured me to move in with him . Same goes for dogs. And ferrets, we had ferrets before the kids and as lovely and cuddly as they were, the STINK was just awful.
Anyone can comment on guinea pigs or chinchillas? Do they interact a bit? Do they smell?!?! Or other ideas?
Everything that pees in it's own bed/house stinks after a couple of days. We had guinea pigs. They're cute for kids (till my daughter went to pick one up and it was stiff and flat on one side and she screamed and dropped it and it clunked on the floor and so she screamed again and she still cries when she talks about it now)

What about fish?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:20 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

plastic goldfish
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:25 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

A stone
A furbie
A merkin
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:32 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I was gonna say Timber, but on second thoughts have heard hes really smelly and keeps peanuts up his arse
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

ianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
A stone
A furbie
A merkin

got a furbie. he's stupid.

my daughter got quite attached to a stone last year, after I took her favourite potatoe of her. is it just me, or does a gir with a stone'pet' look a bit psycho? i was embarrassed everytime again when she showed people her 'pet'... mind you, the stone was better than the potatoe she had before. with her potatoe check-out people at supermarkets thought that i was trying to conceal that we were stealing a POTATOE to cut down prices on our 70quid weekly shopping trolly.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:37 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
I was gonna say Timber, but on second thoughts have heard hes really smelly and keeps peanuts up his arse
Trust you to have the memory of a person with a very good memory at memorizing memorable stufff !!!!!

Cleanest non smelling pet we have is , TWAT ( thats his name ) .. the Love Bird !

He just squeaks, im sure he has a maid in to remove poo, cos hes clean as. Hes not messy with food, and is a noice bird !
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by biggy

cool idea, i LOVE his posts, but would he still be able to write them if he's sat in a cage in our living room?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:40 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandmel

cool idea, i LOVE his posts, but would he still be able to write them if he's sat in a cage in our living room?
Dont you bloody start !!!!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Trust you to have the memory of a person with a very good memory at memorizing memorable stufff !!!!!

Cleanest non smelling pet we have is , TWAT ( thats his name ) .. the Love Bird !

He just squeaks, im sure he has a maid in to remove poo, cos hes clean as. Hes not messy with food, and is a noice bird !
i was thinking of birds, but wasn't sure how messy they can get. might look into that. fish just seem to be sooo..quiet?! i prefer someone to talk to.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Dont you bloody start !!!!!!!
taking all recommendations serious, thinking about my kids here

how tall are you?

then again, i also thought 'small pet' because i hoped it would die before we emigrate, would save us the transport.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:49 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Guinea pigs are excellent indoor pets

they smell very little as long as you clean them our regularly. They are very tame and they'll squeal when you chop carrots or open the fridge door

I love my guineas
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:54 am
Banned

Heres a Laugh forya !!

True story.

Yrs ago, we were doing a quote for a well known drug dealer, who also owned a legit limousine business. We were too scared to be honest, not to do the quote, as he demanded we would do his job !!!

We get there, me and my mate Sean. The fella has this curtain on the wall...

Like a twat I said, whats behind there?

He presses a remote control, the curtains open, and theres a bloody big fishtank, built into the wall full of Piranhas. He has just got them 2 days before, from some local pet shop, in Cov.

He went out the room, to get some money... so I looked at Sean, he looked at me, I grinned, whipped pencil out from behind earole.. and dangled it in the tank...

Well FUGG ME !!! the bugegrs grabbed it, and my brand new 2HB was being devoured by about 8 piranhas !!!!

We heard the fella coming and moved across the room, looking at his floor, and talking amongst ourselves...
He hands me the money, we scarper !!

3 weeks later, we turn up to do the job .
The curtain is open on this fish tank.. and no Piranhas !!!

I said, wheres ya fish gone??

He said , Yanno that pet shop on the high street, ( name withheld )... they were Mysteriously firebombed last week.... and winked at us..

I said what happened..

He said, the pricks only went n sold me dud fish, they died 2 days after i bought them !!!! and wouldnt refund my money !!!!

We never worked so fast in all of our lives !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:56 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a Laugh forya !!

True story.

Yrs ago, we were doing a quote for a well known drug dealer, who also owned a legit limousine business. We were too scared to be honest, not to do the quote, as he demanded we would do his job !!!

We get there, me and my mate Sean. The fella has this curtain on the wall...

Like a twat I said, whats behind there?

He presses a remote control, the curtains open, and theres a bloody big fishtank, built into the wall full of Piranhas. He has just got them 2 days before, from some local pet shop, in Cov.

He went out the room, to get some money... so I looked at Sean, he looked at me, I grinned, whipped pencil out from behind earole.. and dangled it in the tank...

Well FUGG ME !!! the bugegrs grabbed it, and my brand new 2HB was being devoured by about 8 piranhas !!!!

We heard the fella coming and moved across the room, looking at his floor, and talking amongst ourselves...
He hands me the money, we scarper !!

3 weeks later, we turn up to do the job .
The curtain is open on this fish tank.. and no Piranhas !!!

I said, wheres ya fish gone??

He said , Yanno that pet shop on the high street, ( name withheld )... they were Mysteriously firebombed last week.... and winked at us..

I said what happened..

He said, the pricks only went n sold me dud fish, they died 2 days after i bought them !!!! and wouldnt refund my money !!!!

We never worked so fast in all of our lives !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG

Are you in Australia now under the witness protection scheme?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Kapri
OMG

Are you in Australia now under the witness protection scheme?
I was debating on deleting that entire post, after i hit SUBMIT REPLY ! lol

nah she'll be rite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.