Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Any Construction Project Manager's or Secondary School Teacher's out there??

Any Construction Project Manager's or Secondary School Teacher's out there??

Old Jun 17th 2007, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice
Default Any Construction Project Manager's or Secondary School Teacher's out there??

How are you getting on? Did you find your jobs before you arrived or pretty quickly once you got there?

Been looking at seek, Hayes and careerone and seems like there are loads of jobs for OH as a project manager - obviously all the ones I've seen require visas (fair enough). Hayes in London also have a contact for jobs once you have the visa (ignored our initial enquiry - presuming as they are not interested until have the visa - not that cv's crap....) BUT after reading a few posts on here yesterday it seems a lot of people waited months before finding employment (and having cv's and applications ignored...). There are a few teaching jobs I've seen but I really want OH to get employed first so we will know where we will be located.

The thought of arriving without employment is SCARY - but the thought of waiting MONTHS for any luck makes me worry that the little money we have will slowly drift away from us .......... and thus will the dream of a decent sized house etc etc......

Can anyone in the above professions (or anyone at all!!) offer us any advice / personal experience or simply encouragement?

Thanks
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

3littlefigs will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any Construction Project Manager's or Secondary School Teacher's out there??

I am a QS and got a job in the UK before I went out to Oz, however I was pretty sure I would get a visa as my wife is Australian. What sort of visa are you after and what are your timescales. I can probably get you a introduction with my company which is a global QS/PM consultancy. pm me for more info, Matt
Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:17 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any Construction Project Manager's or Secondary School Teacher's out there??

Hi
I contacted some QS companies and an agency in Oz a while ago, they all said they were interested based upon my CV but I should contact them nearer the time. It seems that they would rather discuss things when I was about to move to Oz rather than a year or so in advance. I understand their decision as people change their mind so often.
Regards
Shaun
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about

Hi, have just searched site and seen you were asking the same question that i want to ask last May, did you have any luck finding work as a construction manager. I hope you did and that you may be able to advise me!
My husband and i are trying to find out the all essential question, are his management qualifications gained in uk recognised in Oz as he would apply as bricklayer for visa however has been on management side for just over a year.
We also need a proper idea of wages so we know we can afford to live there!
Thanks for any advice you may be able to give.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be a fair bit of work for Project Managers out there, depending obviously on specific experience/expertise.
As for secondary teaching, you'd need to register with your state and then would be eligible for supply work - finding a permanent full time position might be harder, depending on where you're looking and how flexible you'll be. There was something on the news this morning though about plans to change the recruitment system to make it easier for schools to interview candidates directly and fill vacancies competitively. Good things for teachers looking for jobs!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

Originally Posted by jollyswagman
Hi, have just searched site and seen you were asking the same question that i want to ask last May, did you have any luck finding work as a construction manager. I hope you did and that you may be able to advise me!
My husband and i are trying to find out the all essential question, are his management qualifications gained in uk recognised in Oz as he would apply as bricklayer for visa however has been on management side for just over a year.
We also need a proper idea of wages so we know we can afford to live there!
Thanks for any advice you may be able to give.
Yes we had luck! My OH is a project manager and has found work in Perth - we will be leaving in about 2 months. He found work through a contact we made on this site (thanks again!!), but was also offered a job in Melbourne through contacts he has here. I think networking was the key for us. He also works in the gas industry which was a definite asset as far as finding employment was concerned. Although he didn't need it in the end he got his qualifications assessed through VETASSES - do a search and I'm sure you'll find the website - they basically looked at all his certificates and experience and said they are valid in Oz - he didn't need them as he is employed through a uk company but I'm sure they could be useful in not only finding a job but discussing salary etc. Salaries tend to be pretty good for project managers - I'm not sure about construction manager as I think it's a bit different.
I hope this has been of some use for you.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your reply, i am glad are going well for you! We have looked at vetasses site, looks a lot better than tra!!
Debbie
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Know absolutely nothing about construction but teaching is another matter. All depends on what you teach and where you want to teach it. Assuming you do all the paperwork and your qualifications are appropriate (4 year trained and all that) it can be easy if your subject area is in high demand (think Maths and science or a specialization like disabilities or behaviour) and you dont mind if you are out in the a*se end of somewhere (dont plan on a job in a school next to the beach in a nice suburb). All depends on the state as well - NSW have a system which means that you have to do your hardship posting before you get a plum position. If you arrive during the academic year the best you are likely to get is casual relief teaching as permanent positions and full time contracts are usually negotiated for the following year beginning in Jan. If you are really lucky you can sometimes score a contract for 6 weeks or a term.