Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Americanisation of Austrlia

View Poll Results: How Americanised has Australia become
Beyond belief. I thought I had landed in California by mistake.
37.50%
Not enough. If only people worked as hard here as they do in the States
2.50%
No more so than other "Westernised liberal democracies"
37.50%
If I answer this, do I get a Krispy Kreme donut?
22.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Americanisation of Austrlia

Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:31 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Americanisation of Austrlia

How Americanised has Australia become?

Last edited by mackinnon; Jun 14th 2007 at 6:54 am.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:35 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Americanisation of Austrlia

Originally Posted by mackinnon
How Americanised has Austrlia become?
The adverts on TV seem to be as bad as each other

Lots of things here remind me of the US...the roads, buildings, even some of the Aussies sound American
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:08 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I identify two factors. Firstly the size of the country and the heat (southern US at least) mean there are many similarities. Secondly, the Aussies got pissed off with the British using them as cannon fodder in the war etc and decided to throw their hand in with someone else. A bit of a generalisation but you get the point.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:45 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Americanisation of Austrlia

No more so than other "Westernised liberal democracies".

In my part of the UK, the most commonly used Americanism is "Mom" instead of "Mum". That's something I never encountered back home.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:17 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I identify two factors. Firstly the size of the country and the heat (southern US at least) mean there are many similarities. Secondly, the Aussies got pissed off with the British using them as cannon fodder in the war etc and decided to throw their hand in with someone else. A bit of a generalisation but you get the point.
PMSL And you think the yanks wouldnt have?
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:17 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

How Americanised has Australia become?
Coming from NZ, I couldn't believe how Americanised OZ was. It really took me by surprise. I was looking forward to being exposed to Aussie culture as is often promoted. Instead I found a superficial, insecure and overly materialistic society, much to my disappointment. And with the passing of Slim Dusty the other year, I feel there is now virtually nothing of true Australian culture left to experience. That guy was an icon, a legend, and embodied something very special about what and who Australia once was.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:26 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

What I hate is the overuse of the word "Awesome" :curse:
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It is a generalisation because it never happened that way. In any war.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Secondly, the Aussies got pissed off with the British using them as cannon fodder in the war etc .
I can't believe that this bullshit is still being touted around.

There is a romantic perception that Australian's went to war only to support Britain. Whilst there may be some element of truth in that, there was also apparently a lot of doing what was "right" and going for a sense of adventure - I suspect similar to the UK going to Iraq or Afghanistan or attacking Germany when Germany's sights were set on France in WW1 - hardly directly affecting the UK but soldiers and the forces doing what they believe to be 'right'. The misperception of the Brits pulling Australians over to do their dirty work, sent to their deaths by incompetent British generals and their losses being bigger than any other country have become folklore.

Australians did not lose as many people in WW1 or WWII as the British - in absolute terms or as a percentage of their population.

And it wasn't even about fighting someone else's war in someone else's theatre - particularly in WW2 (but also in WW1 given German possessions in the Pacific) when fighting often took place within Australia's sphere of influence.

Some Aussies like to think that we should be permanently in gratitude to them for agreeing to fight for us in our war and dying for the British.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:54 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
PMSL And you think the yanks wouldnt have?
The yanks even shoot their allies
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:00 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It is a generalisation because it never happened that way. In any war.
I was told that a few times when we were on our hols down here, but I have to admit I have not heard anything like that this time around. Maybe a better example would be that Whitlam / Fraser thing in the 70's where the UK monarchy disolved the Australian government. I can't even remember what that was about exactly but no wonder there is a strong pro-republican feeling.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:05 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I can't believe that this bullshit is still being touted around.

There is a romantic perception that Australian's went to war only to support Britain. Whilst there may be some element of truth in that, there was also apparently a lot of doing what was "right" and going for a sense of adventure - I suspect similar to the UK going to Iraq or Afghanistan or attacking Germany when Germany's sights were set on France in WW1 - hardly directly affecting the UK but soldiers and the forces doing what they believe to be 'right'. The misperception of the Brits pulling Australians over to do their dirty work, sent to their deaths by incompetent British generals and their losses being bigger than any other country have become folklore.

Australians did not lose as many people in WW1 or WWII as the British - in absolute terms or as a percentage of their population.

And it wasn't even about fighting someone else's war in someone else's theatre - particularly in WW2 (but also in WW1 given German possessions in the Pacific) when fighting often took place within Australia's sphere of influence.

Some Aussies like to think that we should be permanently in gratitude to them for agreeing to fight for us in our war and dying for the British.
What pissed Aussies and Kiwis off was that some useless whisky drinking generals in London farked it up at Gallipoli and that cost the lives of many, many ANZACS. Also in WW2, the UK Top Brass hassled the OZ PM (Curtin) to keep his men in the middle east theatre when they shoudl have been sent back to OZ to defend their home country.

Infact, if it hadn't been for the yanks we'd all be speaking Japanese nowadays. On that score The Americans deserve credit. And the Allies would also have lost WW2 if the Americans hadn't come to the party.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:12 am
Jedi Princess

I was told that a few times when we were on our hols down here, but I have to admit I have not heard anything like that this time around. Maybe a better example would be that Whitlam / Fraser thing in the 70's where the UK monarchy disolved the Australian government. I can't even remember what that was about exactly but no wonder there is a strong pro-republican feeling.
It was caused by Malcom Fraser's opposition blocking the passing of the appropriations bill (funding for the federal budget) in the senate. This forced a double dissolution. It was a politically underhanded and despicable act that wasn't 'cricket'. Fraser did it purely and simply so he could project himself and his colleagues on to the treasury benches.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding of the Whitlam/Fraser issue (and I am by no means an expert) was that the Governor-General dissolved the Australian government. Although he is the Queens representative in Australia, he made the decision on his own. The Australian government in 1975 was very left wing and extremely unpopular and his decision was widely supported. Sure, there is a strong pro-republic movement here and I kind of agree with it. On the other hand, the monarchy is popular here and I'm not sure enough people would support dropping the monarchy.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
What pissed Aussies and Kiwis off was that some useless whisky drinking generals in London farked it up at Gallipoli and that cost the lives of many, many ANZACS. Also in WW2, the UK Top Brass hassled the OZ PM (Curtin) to keep his men in the middle east theatre when they shoudl have been sent back to OZ to defend their home country.

Infact, if it hadn't been for the yanks we'd all be speaking Japanese nowadays. On that score The Americans deserve credit. And the Allies would also have lost WW2 if the Americans hadn't come to the party.
At Galipolli 3 times as many UK troops were killed than ANZAC troops.
Galipolli was a great idea but badly implemented. Churchill and his generals messed it up. Many Australian commanders sent their men on 'suicide' attacks. Few came out of the campaign with their repuatations intact.
Curtin DID bring the 2 Aussie divisions home from the Middle East, despite the protests of Churchill and hsi generals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.