Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Amazon warehouse in Australia?

Amazon warehouse in Australia?

Old May 5th 2012, 7:59 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon warehouse in Australia?

Originally Posted by paulry
Yes but when it comes to ordering a popup often notifies .co.uk users that that they have to make the purchase on .co.uk

Did anybody notice this article recently about proposals to make overseas retailers collect the GST on goods on behalf of the government?

GST for online shoppers

I can't help thinking that this plan misses the point almost entirely. Overseas retailers with a presence in a country have to arrange the sales tax, but where they don't have a presence, e.g. Amazon in Australia, there's absolutely no rationale for them to comply with Australian tax legislation...

S
Old May 6th 2012, 5:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Yes but when it comes to ordering a popup often notifies .co.uk users that that they have to make the purchase on .co.uk
That's nuts. I've had an Amazon account like forever and have never seen this.

Simple solution would be to open another account at Amazon.com.
Old May 6th 2012, 5:36 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Did anybody notice this article recently about proposals to make overseas retailers collect the GST on goods on behalf of the government?

GST for online shoppers

I can't help thinking that this plan misses the point almost entirely. Overseas retailers with a presence in a country have to arrange the sales tax, but where they don't have a presence, e.g. Amazon in Australia, there's absolutely no rationale for them to comply with Australian tax legislation...
Amazon are extremely iffy about collecting sales taxes for states within the US. Saying that they are going to collect the GST for the Australian government from outside is liable to receive a raspberry.

Why don't they just accept that the problem is the retailers/distributors and commercial rental INSIDE Australia, and do something about that?

Even better, why not realise the reason for the retailer issues is also based on the exchange rate which is based on the interest rate being out of phase with the world. THAT is entirely inside their control.
Old May 6th 2012, 8:03 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Amazon are extremely iffy about collecting sales taxes for states within the US. Saying that they are going to collect the GST for the Australian government from outside is liable to receive a raspberry.

Why don't they just accept that the problem is the retailers/distributors and commercial rental INSIDE Australia, and do something about that?

Even better, why not realise the reason for the retailer issues is also based on the exchange rate which is based on the interest rate being out of phase with the world. THAT is entirely inside their control.

You're preaching to the converted here sir - I abhore the blatant markups that are being demonstrated by retailers at the moment - and much of it is pretty unashamed.

Though, in this case, I really can't see Amazon agreeing to collect the tax for the government. At least without payment.

What I find annoying is the government genuinely believes that they have a right to levy a tax on items bought overseas, almost as if it's a blanket tax on ALL purchases made by Australian residents. GST is for goods and services that are sold within Australia, not sold in some other jurisdiction.

S
Old May 6th 2012, 8:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NigelWaring
I have tried to buy a few bargain books from Amazon but after filling in all the details I get a message to the effect that cannot deliver to Australia. This doesn't happen to all books, just a few of them.

I have no sympathy for Australian retailers, have bought things for 25% of the local price and that often includes postage, did get caught with a laptop battery but the other 95% of what I've bought have been real good value and seem to be identical to what the local retailers sell. I wouldn't mind paying the local retailers a bit more but most do not add any value or provide any service, some have even said "we don't accept responsibility for that", makes me want to punch them real hard on the nose as I say "I don't accept responsibility for that".
Are you buying from Amazon themselves though or from one of the market place sellers within Amazon? Some of them send out their own stuff rather than it being done centrally, and won't despatch to Aus.
Old May 6th 2012, 8:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
What I find annoying is the government genuinely believes that they have a right to levy a tax on items bought overseas, almost as if it's a blanket tax on ALL purchases made by Australian residents. GST is for goods and services that are sold within Australia, not sold in some other jurisdiction.

S
I don't think the government wants to do this - it would be a big vote loser for not much gain. The retail industry is agitating for it and there may be proposals banging about, but I can't see the government implementing this as it would be unworkable.

Last edited by Amazulu; May 6th 2012 at 8:36 pm.
Old May 6th 2012, 8:57 pm
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute

So just to clarify,

An Australian business sending goods to an overseas address does NOT charge 10% gst.
"Exports are generally GST-free. These generally include:
goods physically exported from Australia
services supplied to a non-resident outside Australia. "
Ref:http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/con...tent/65957.htm

Australians purchasing goods from an EU country (say from amazon.com.uk) and delivering to their Australian address do not pay the VAT.
"VAT is a tax charged on goods used in the EU, so if goods are exported outside the EU, VAT isn't charged. You can zero-rate the sale, provided you get and keep evidence of the export, and comply with all other laws.
Ref http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/...orts/goods.htm"
If you are an overseas traveller you can claim a VAT refund by applying to customs when you leave the EU.
Ref:http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax.../VAT/DG_190920

So when I buy from Amazon.com.uk the prices don't change. Is the zero rating of VAT the means they can offer free shipping to Australia (or reduced shipping these days)

Last edited by Luthien; May 6th 2012 at 9:31 pm. Reason: better reference
Old May 6th 2012, 9:06 pm
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute

Well I just live chatted with amazon:

You are now connected to xxxxx from Amazon.co.uk.
Me:I am in Australia - does my invoice include VAT ?
xxx:Hello my name is xxx.
The invoice you receive with the order is not a VAT invoice.
Me: Do I pay VAT on my orders delivered to Australia?
xxxx:No , there is no VAT charged on orders sent to Australia.
Me:Ok thanks for your time
Old May 6th 2012, 9:19 pm
Excessively Diverted

Default Re: Amazon wharehouse in Australia?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Good news for Aus Post.
I just checked Aust Posts last Annual Report online:
"Another factor that had a detrimental effect
on this year’s results was the strength of the
Australian dollar. Our inbound international
parcels volumes boomed this year as more
consumers took advantage of the strong
Aussie dollar to shop offshore, but we
lost money on the delivery of inbound parcels
weighing under 2 kilograms because of the
structure of international payments to us
under the Universal Postal Union’s global
rate-setting agreements."

Ref: http://auspost.com.au/about-us/annual-reports.html page 7

So to wikipedia for the Universal Postal Unions global rate-setting arrangements.
"The UPU established that:
  1. There should be a uniform flat rate to mail a letter anywhere in the world
  2. Postal authorities should give equal treatment to foreign and domestic mail
  3. Each country should retain all money it has collected for international postage."
So yes a big win for Aust Post if Amazon establishes a whorehouse in Australia.
Old May 6th 2012, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget www.booko.com.au

They now include DVDs and e-books.
Old May 6th 2012, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luthien
So yes a big win for Aust Post if Amazon establishes a whorehouse in Australia.
Plenty of those already from what I've been told.
Old May 7th 2012, 1:14 am
Excessively Diverted

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Plenty of those already from what I've been told.
It was a joke referring to the thread title. I probably should have put a smilie as it was a little subtle
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

It has now arrived - or at least the cloud computing part owned by Amazon.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

We were told a few weeks back that amazon would buy into an existing data centre initially to provide cloud services...oct/nov launch.